Hide
17 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Character dashboard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Fisher
msg tools
Since space is at a premium when I play, I've come up with a dashboard to help keep character cards organised in a smaller space. The inspiration came from Zombicide: Black Plague. I've gone down the dice route for HP/XP, as it takes up less space and means no moving parts.

This is my first publicly shared 3D model, so do please provide constructive feedback.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2172188

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph
Germany
flag msg tools
Well looks like I need a bigger printer...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Does the original character mat just slide in the side?

How easy is it to draw from the attack modifier deck - looks like it might be fiddly from the picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty great, always jealous of everyone with the skill (and the 3D printer ) to do stuff like that.

One main suggestion: I would maybe switch accessability of discard and lost pile with the items. To me it seems more necessary to have your items somewhere, where you can easily see and access them, while the discard and lost pile might as well be "hidden" in the back to access them only when you get them back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Arlington

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That looks super rad!

How does the hp/xp tracking work with d6?
Is there a spot for the active cards? Looks like maybe they are just behind the cards for the turn maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Fisher
msg tools
Yeah, this pretty much maxes out my build plate - it's about 19x13cm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as a solo player with a 3 man team I like the idea.
thought myself about similar solutions, my problem was always that I need flat space for active cards (abilities/items) with tokens.

of course one could try using a metal backplate for the vertical arrangement and use magnets for tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Fisher
msg tools
The character mat is an option; if you print out the "lower" plate, and glue it under the "Upper" plate, then the character mat slides in from the front edge (nearest the player). Without it, you can use the portrait space for loot tokens.

Drawing from the attack mod deck is fine; I've angled the tray upwards so even the last card will slide up over the tray in front. My first version didn't have that tweak so yeah, it was fiddly! It's fine now.

I may well add a second plate to deal with Item cards. I wanted to have them all on display, but there isn't the space (I'm limited to the size of my printer's build platform). At the moment I find myself working with the discard/lost piles more frequently than my items. As I get more experienced with the game I'm sure I'll revisit this solution.

For the HP/XP tracking, there are two rows of three die slots. The first slot on each row is for tens, the other two are for digits. In the photo, Work is on 12 XP, and 15 HP (just for illustrative purposes). If he was on 17 HP, then I'dd add change the 5 to 6 and add a third die showing 1. The slots fit die around 12mm, such as those found in Pokemon Elite Trainer boxes!

Active cards aren't catered for in this dashboard, as some need to be flat to track uses- I lay them in front of the dashboard on the table.

The slot behind the current two cards is for the rest of the current deck. The three large slots (deck, lost, discard) could probably be slimmer, but I had to guess at what the maximum hand size might be, and thus the maximum discard pile.

Oh, and in case it's not clear, these cards are sleeved (MTL thick sleeves off fleabay, similar to FFG).

Thanks for the comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d w
Sweden
flag msg tools
What if you made it so you could slide the item cards halfway in the side nearest you? You don't need more than the bottom half during play and it would make them more visible without increasing the size of the dashboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the next question on everyones mind who is looking at this.... When will you be selling them to the public, and for how much?

I think it is great! and a space saver indeed... I keep mixing my deck with the monster deck for modifiers so this will eliminate that when I play. But sadly I don't have a 3d printer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Beaudin
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this looks incredible.

What's your strategy for cards that need a token placed on them for tracking? (such as the bottom of the brute card shown in the picture.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I made something similar with foamboard but it doesn't look nearly as nice as yours:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XLCR wrote:
The character mat is an option; if you print out the "lower" plate, and glue it under the "Upper" plate, then the character mat slides in from the front edge (nearest the player). Without it, you can use the portrait space for loot tokens.

Neat.

Quote:
Drawing from the attack mod deck is fine; I've angled the tray upwards so even the last card will slide up over the tray in front. My first version didn't have that tweak so yeah, it was fiddly! It's fine now.

A clever solution, it looks neater than thumb-spaces. Is it deep enough to handle 30 cards in the modifier deck (in case you take add-card perks before remove-card perks)?

Quote:
I may well add a second plate to deal with Item cards. I wanted to have them all on display, but there isn't the space (I'm limited to the size of my printer's build platform). At the moment I find myself working with the discard/lost piles more frequently than my items. As I get more experienced with the game I'm sure I'll revisit this solution.

The main problem here is going to be scaling. A starting player may only have 2-3 items, which will fit quite handily slotted in with the character mat as suggested by @icelock... but a fully kitted out level 3 character can have 7 items in play! Or 10 items for level 9. That many items is just going to cause problems no matter how you play it, though.

If you didn't have too many items, slotting them into the front might work really well. To spend or consume an item, simply slide it further in so you can only see the very bottom of the card. Not sure if tokens would be too precarious for multi-use items though.

Quote:
For the HP/XP tracking, there are two rows of three die slots. The first slot on each row is for tens, the other two are for digits. In the photo, Work is on 12 XP, and 15 HP (just for illustrative purposes). If he was on 17 HP, then I'dd add change the 5 to 6 and add a third die showing 1. The slots fit die around 12mm, such as those found in Pokemon Elite Trainer boxes!

I am shocked (shocked!) that you don't just use base-6, which would let you go up to 35 with two dice (don't use the 6-face).
laugh

Quote:
Active cards aren't catered for in this dashboard, as some need to be flat to track uses- I lay them in front of the dashboard on the table.

Seems fair. I do wonder how much space you actually save by inclining the discard and lost piles, but I guess you have the added benefit that the sleeved cards won't slide off each other as you have them.

Quote:
The slot behind the current two cards is for the rest of the current deck. The three large slots (deck, lost, discard) could probably be slimmer, but I had to guess at what the maximum hand size might be, and thus the maximum discard pile.

Maximum hand size for ability cards is 12 (mentioned by Isaac in an interview). One of the advanced classes has extra cards that kinda sit off to the side but can be given to other players (and later returned?), I really don't know if they would go in your hand or not.

If you wanted to reclaim some space, the cards that you choose for the round could just go face-down over the modifier cards. Since you need space for active cards anyway, I'd consider leaving the current hand out as well, and just place your hand face down next to the active cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks amazing! I'm jealous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Fisher
msg tools
Some good suggestions here, thanks.

I'm looking at ways of handling ten item cards; probably as an add-on to the right-hand side.

The modifier deck is deep enough to handle 25 cards at the moment, I'll deepen it some more to cater for 30ish. Thanks for that, MrTroy. BTW, my very first draft had six die per tracker, which would also have worked nicely as binary... ;-)

My reasoning for inclining the lost/discard piles is for neatness. My main aim was to keep the play area tidy as well as compact; I found that my sleeved cards were spreading too easily. It only saves about one card's width of space, but that's space that doesn't end up spreading.

Ok, so item cards and active cards are clearly in need of some love. Anything else missing?

As for selling them, I hadn't thought of that. I've no idea what the demand would be, and of course I'd only do it if Isaac was OK with it. They take about a day (for one copy of each plate) so it's not going to be a quick turnaround.

If there's enough interest, I'll look into it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weber
msg tools
badge
Let's Go BLues!
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks cool. Our local library has a 3D printer but can only do things less than 3x3. It doesn't look like it would break up well into smaller parts that could be glued together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XLCR wrote:
Some good suggestions here, thanks.

The modifier deck is deep enough to handle 25 cards at the moment, I'll deepen it some more to cater for 30ish. Thanks for that, MrTroy. BTW, my very first draft had six die per tracker, which would also have worked nicely as binary... ;-)

I don't often see people using the words "nice" and "binary" in the same sentence Cue my 2nd-from-the-left microbadge...

XLCR wrote:
My reasoning for inclining the lost/discard piles is for neatness. My main aim was to keep the play area tidy as well as compact; I found that my sleeved cards were spreading too easily. It only saves about one card's width of space, but that's space that doesn't end up spreading.

Makes sense. I've only sleeved the modifier cards, but those piles of cards get pretty precarious laugh That might actually be enough reason for me to go for something like this...

XLCR wrote:
I'm looking at ways of handling ten item cards; probably as an add-on to the right-hand side.

If space is a concern, I do think sliding the card half into a horizontal slot is a good idea. Going on the same plate size, you could do a 4x3 grid of items:

-------------------------
|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|
|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|XXXXX|
|-----------------------|
| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
| | | | |
| 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 |
| | | | |
| | 9 | 10 | |
| | | | |
-------------------------

4 cards wide is 176mm, so 186mm with 2mm walls. (Probably need narrower walls for some play and for sleeves). It looks like you need about 33mm from the bottom of the card to show the item text, and 10mm to show the consume/tap item, but you don't actually need walls so you'd have 31mm left from a 130mm plate to cover the top cards. Or they could be left exposed.

For tap/consume cards, you could signal that they are tapped/consumed by pushing them under their cover until they hit a back wall at 60mm (from the bottom edge of that level, then drag them back if they are refreshed. Strongly suspect that I'm going to try this out with cardstock, I can report back if you're interested?

I don't have any direct experience with 3d printing, but it looks like it could be printed as 3 (4 with the top cover) separate plates with walls just high enough to fit 1 card (0.5mm would accomodate sleeves?) and then glued/slotted together. Probably easier that way so none of the void areas sag?

Actually, with that kind of layered printing, would it be feasible to print the bottom layer in two pieces, then extend the whole thing to more than 130mm long? I'm thinking that the modifier card trays that you already have could go on top! And I purely suggest that because a combined item/modifier tray like this would be more useful to me than the character mat/ability card tray.

If HP/XP tracker dials could be built into the 2 unused item slots, that would truly be the cherry on top

Did I get a bit carried away there? Probably

XLCR wrote:
Ok, so item cards and active cards are clearly in need of some love. Anything else missing?

Can you use these as storage? Basically hand one of these to each player at the start of the session with a couple of battle goals, and that's all they need to start playing. That's what I've done with some hand-made cardstock envelopes:

-------------
| | |
| | 2 |
| 1 |------|
| | |
| | 3 |
-------------

1 holds the character's personal quest and current pool of action cards. 2 holds the modifier deck. 3 holds the items. The character mat fits nicely underneath, though the paper character sheet needs to be folded to fit. Tokens go in a small baggie in with the items, though that's my least favourite part of this setup.

It looks to me that if you moved the modifier draw section on top of the item tray, you could re-purpose that space to hold the character's action cards (or current hand, while in play?). Not sure about modifier deck and items though. You'd need some kind of lid to keep everyhing in place, too. Maybe you could "flip" the idea... a second box with spaces to hold the cards, then you use your play-tray as a lid for that box? At 130x190mm though, you'd only fit two per layer in the GH box, so that may be a drawback for most, especially if they are tall.

XLCR wrote:
As for selling them, I hadn't thought of that. I've no idea what the demand would be, and of course I'd only do it if Isaac was OK with it. They take about a day (for one copy of each plate) so it's not going to be a quick turnaround.

If there's enough interest, I'll look into it...

Demand will probably be low and local - international shipping costs for this kind of thing are just stupid. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, since you need to build them one at a time anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.