Hide
7 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: 4 characters for 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Freund
msg tools
Apologies if this has been asked before. I only have one buddy who I trust will experience Gloomhaven with me for the long haul. Us each taking one character seems a little less epic than two each.

Is this feasible? I know it slightly counteracts the mysterious of not knowing the other player's initiative.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences of those who've tried this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSteak wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked before. I only have one buddy who I trust will experience Gloomhaven with me for the long haul. Us each taking one character seems a little less epic than two each.

Is this feasible? I know it slightly counteracts the mysterious of not knowing the other player's initiative.

Yes. There are numerous threads about this. They may not immediately come up with a search but it may be worth your time to manually scroll if you really want to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DSteak wrote:

I play solo with 3 character, so I'd say 2 is very feasible. You might want to "rule" on how much you feel the planing two at once but not knowing the 2 others gives you an advantage, so that you can adjust the difficulty to either the mulitplayer one or the solo one. But as difficulty level in Gloomhaven is so easy to adjust on the way, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucus Trout
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DSteak wrote:

Going to a thread where there has been a legitimate discussion about this will really serve you well because it isn't like "This will work perfectly with no downside" or "this is stupid don't do it".

So to really get the nuance I'd check out one of the threads where people have already discussed it in depth.

In short, I don't think it's worth the mental overhead/length of time add per scenario, especially when it's not that hard to reset after finishing the campaign and then you not only experience more characters, you can head down paths your previous campaign couldn't.

However to quote Levar Burton, "don't take my word for it"...

Check out the previous threads on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hatch
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are doing it and enjoy playing this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
For retirement bonus perks, track each of the 4 characters separately.

For example, when you retire your first character, the character that replaces it gets a bonus perk. When you retire that new character, the next one gets 2 bonus perks, and so on.

Track this separately for each of the 4 characters. You shouldn't retire both of your first guys and assume your next character gets 2 bonus checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend starting with just two characters, total, for a couple of scenarios, until you really get the rules and game system under your belt.

Or even better, make it a bonus for retiring! After one of you retires a character, you get to make TWO new characters to control!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.