Subject: Enemies crossing portals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebas Nolastname
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A few of questions regarding portals

1 - When targeting heroes do enemies target heroes on the other side of the portal if they can reach with move.

a - They target any Hero they can reach it doesn't matter if it's on the other side of the portal
b - They only target Heroes on the other side of the portal if they are standing next to it.
c - They don't target Heroes on the other side of the portal unless there are not Heroes on the same side as the enemies
d - They never cross portals

2 - Area attacks (like the Flailing Mouth from the Burrower)

a - Only one side of the portal is attacked
b - Only Heroes next to the portal on the other side are attacked
c - Any Hero that can be reached through the portal within range is attacked it doesn't matter if it's standing next to the portal or not

3 - Arc attacks (like the Grinding Jaws from the Burrower)

c - Any Hero that can be reached through the portal within range is attacked it doesn't matter if it's standing next to the portal or not

4 - Normal Range attacks (like any enemy with a Gun)

5 - Special Range attacks (like spells)

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

My take on this is:

1-c
2-a
3-b
4-b
5-b

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmb
1) A. AFAIK, there are no rules restricting enemy targeting or moving through a portal, so they should target heroes normally and move to them, regardless of portals. They can smell the tasty tasty human meat regardless of the glowy bits.
2) C. Area attacks don't require line of sight (they can also hit you around a corner), so they should pass through a portal normally and attack heroes on the other side, assuming they have the range to do so.
3) C. See above.
4) A (ish). Enemies with a ranged stat do need line of sight to their target, just like heroes do. They can only see through the portal if they are next to it, but with either shootout or assault, they will move toward their target to the best of their ability. With shootout, if they can't see their target after they move, they re-target. This would include if they target someone on the other side of a portal but can't get to the portal because it's blocked by other heroes, for example.
5) Spells don't, AFAIK, have a simple resolution because they don't function uniformly. Spells that require a target within range and LOS work like ranged attacks. Spells that say 'every hero'... I suppose an argument could be made that 'all heroes' means 'every hero in the world,' the same way that encounters and depth events do. Hmm. I'm not sure about that one, but I'm inclined to play that 'global' spells only affect the world in which they were cast. Seems cooler to me.

To boil this down: Enemies do not need line of sight in order to target heroes, including through gates. They only need line of sight to make ranged attacks against heroes. Gates block line of sight (unless the monster/hero is adjacent) but there is no mechanic for blocking targeting of heroes or monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Garen. I would probably rule that global effects that say "All Heroes" mean exactly that, regardless of World. Usually the mechanics that limit those effects to one World or another specify an anchor to do so, somewhere in the Rules. For instance, Enemies placed in Ambush are done so only in the World where the Hero/Exploration Token that caused it is currently residing (there are even special cases mentioned regarding ambiguous Ambushes that have you rolling a random Hero to determine such an anchor). Encounters anchor off of Exploration Tokens in the same way. I think we can safely say that any such global effects that don't mention an anchor are universal.

And while I'm here, here is what the RAW says about it:

The Rules wrote:
Line of Sight for Ranged Attacks, however, may not be
traced through the Gate unless you are standing on the Gate
End Cap itself looking directly through. This means that you
cannot stand back and just shoot across the room into another
World, but you can move up to the Gate and look through to
start taking shots.

This ^ creates more questions than it answers. What does "You" mean? The Target? The Attacker? Both? Can you always trace LoS to the far side of a Gate from anywhere in the room, since that far side can always trace LoS to YOU? If not, then does that means there are situations where LoS is only one-way? Such a precedent would create yet more questions. We can add the somewhat unclear/one-sided LoS rules for Town Roofs --> Town Ground into this mix too and have a party.

I think Imma go with a full-duplex interpretation here for the sake of simplicity: I think LoS should always be two-way.

- Jee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebas Nolastname
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand the LoS being both ways, but would a Monster not standing next to a portal, ergo not having LoS, be willing to cross the portal to look for a Hero when he doesn't even know if there are heroes on the other side?

I understand if a hero is on the other side but next to a portal he can be see (LoS both ways) but what if he is just one step behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Garen said, above, Enemies don't need LoS in order to target. They can smell Heroes any where on the map. They still need LoS in order to make an Attack (most of the time), so after targeting they will attempt to gain LoS on their target via moving.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.