Subject: Player v Player skirmish for own scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyson Mertlich
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anybody try their hand at scenario creations? I'm thinking of making 3 linked scenarios but not sure if they'll work. My idea is that your party is hired to break into a place and attempt to steal something (1st scenario) there would be guards and their range would be how far they detect you, they would patrol and not follow normal movement rules until you enter their range at which point an alarm would sound and the boss would enter. The boss would have specials that would render all party members unconscious and if any party member is affected all are And that would end that scenario.

(Scenario 2) party members would wake up in a room with an open ceiling and the guards and boss watching from above. The boss instructs he party that last person standing lives and to fight one another. Party members must fight one another until half are exhausted or out of HP. To insentivise combat the boss releases monsters into the room every 2 rounds. when half of the party has fallen there's a distraction allowing the remaining party members to escape the room.

(Scenario 3) The remaining party escapes the room and in their attempt to escape the facility find prisoners equal to the amount of party members lost in the previous scenario who temporarily join the party to escape. The player's who fell in the previous scenario take up to two unused mini's to represent these prisoners. The player deck for these prisoners is only the base card values of attack 2 move 2. This scenario concludes when the party escapes the dungeon with or without the stolen property from the first scenario. The party can find their old characters imprisoned and use their characters again if they do, but starting at half health.

So I'm wondering if anybody has tried a skirmish between other players and if that mechanism will work? Obviously I have a lot to workout with these scenarios but I really like that the game allows you to create more content for the game (not that you need it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Arlington

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I believe Isaac mentioned briefly trying PvP, but iniative played too large of a role. Scoundrel ends up dominating, and not just because of the speed, but the single target damage capabilities.

That all being said, I've found the best way to see if a design is fun is just to try it out. You can try playing two characters by yourself, fighting each other and see how it feels. Maybe try characters that would be at similar capabilities (Cragheart vs Brute?) and two that would be a bad matchup (Tinkerer vs Scoundrel?).
If it's real rough, try adding special rules to even things out. (Characters don't choose their hand at start of scenario, and just pick them randomly instead for example.)

You could also try incentivizing players with bonus xp for KO's instead of monsters. I could see players just fighting monsters until they get exhausted instead of each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(PSN) SilentSniper_X_
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I for one would be interested in this. I know there was originally intended to be a pvp mode for the game but it was scratched as they couldn't work out the balance.

From what I recall, you have to do something about stun and invisibility as both of those powers are over powered in pvp. Also some classes such as the scoundrel are better at PvP than other classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Arlington

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
JRosen9 wrote:
I for one would be interested in this. I know there was originally intended to be a pvp mode for the game but it was scratched as they couldn't work out the balance.

From what I recall, you have to do something about stun and invisibility as both of those powers are over powered in pvp. Also some classes such as the scoundrel are better at PvP than other classes.

Ah, right. I remember seeing those status conditions mentioned as well.

OK, more brainstorming:
In PvP only, invis characters can be hit by AoE. Reasoning is that AoE is weaker in PvP anyway by nature, so this gives it a bit of utility back to make up for it. Characters without AoE are more disadvantaged by invis, but at least as far as the starting characters go, that would be Mindthief and Scoundrel, who would have the most advantage at PvP anyway.

In PvP only, characters stunned by other characters still choose two cards for their turn, but may only perform the actions on one card. Reasoning is that it is still very powerful, but not game ending. Characters can still maneuver or fight back to prevent things like stun lock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the idea sounds pretty neat, the problem I always have with PvP in games like this (also e.g. in DnD) is that to me the game is all about a group of very differently skilled people cooperating in a way that makes them the best as a group.

There are simply classes that are made for taking out someone much more easily and then there are classes that help the first one stay alive long enough to do it or to get into position to do it, but that wouldn't stand a chance in a fight with them.

Edit: This comes from a DnD Bard that might maybe have a chance to talk her companions into selling all of their weapons and not kill her because ... reasons ... but that would be dead pretty fast once any of them decides that they won't fall for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
while it doesn't help the TO, however I think having difficulties applying char classes to pvp usually speaks well for their diversity.
a regretful trend to the contrary you can see in computer games, in particular MMORPGs where the 1vs1 viability becomes the main balancing target, which in consequence makes classes more similar and less specialized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liang Xia
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
If you were to play a PVP variant, you'd want to enable multiple parties and some kind of character drafting mechanism. A 2v2 PVP variant would be very interesting. A 4v4 would be epic.

For the sake of simplicity, you could set the character level beforehand (IE all characters are lvl 1 or 5 or 9).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.