Subject: Undiscovered Islands (Spoilers through box 4) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I'm honestly not sure this truly constitutes a spoiler but erring on the safe side seems best. We are 8 games into our campaign and we have an interesting situation which I think is probably fine although it makes me worry we've done something wrong with the rules. We have opened boxes 1 through 4. The only 2 milestones available are using the ornate chart to discover Aratos (unlock) & the one for having 2 or 3 relics.

There are only two undiscovered islands left on the board. One is the island with the Wave symbol on it which I suspect we won't get access to until box 5 opens. The second is your standard explore 12 / 5 VP spot. We have used all of the island stickers. Our interpretation here is that the only way to find the remaining 12/5 island is with the ornate chart. However there is no stipulation in the rules for discovering an island which says, "if there are no more island stickers in the storage box you cannot discover this island through a standard exploration endeavor.

have we done something wrong or is this simply a situation that can arise if a group is highly explore focused (like ours) and loves to chase the 6 glory of uncovering islands ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
So wait - do you have the 30 island and then just 1 other island left? Or do you have the 30 island and 2 islands left?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play that if there are no island stickers left, you can't explore for an island the usual way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Addington
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
colinmarsh wrote:

I'm honestly not sure this truly constitutes a spoiler but erring on the safe side seems best. We are 8 games into our campaign and we have an interesting situation which I think is probably fine although it makes me worry we've done something wrong with the rules. We have opened boxes 1 through 4. The only 2 milestones available are using the ornate chart to discover Aratos (unlock) & the one for having 2 or 3 relics.

There are only two undiscovered islands left on the board. One is the island with the Wave symbol on it which I suspect we won't get access to until box 5 opens. The second is your standard explore 12 / 5 VP spot. We have used all of the island stickers. Our interpretation here is that the only way to find the remaining 12/5 island is with the ornate chart. However there is no stipulation in the rules for discovering an island which says, "if there are no more island stickers in the storage box you cannot discover this island through a standard exploration endeavor.

have we done something wrong or is this simply a situation that can arise if a group is highly explore focused (like ours) and loves to chase the 6 glory of uncovering islands ?

Box 5 spoiler - mild

I'm not sure what's confusing at this point. Everything is as it should be.

You can only discover Arados using the Ornate Chart. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that Arados is the only island left other than the wave symbol island to discover in your game, and the it's revealed when you complete the milestone for using the Ornate Chart.

Do you want to be able to do a standard exploration in order to open Box 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaddington wrote:

Box 5 spoiler - mild

I'm not sure what's confusing at this point. Everything is as it should be.

You can only discover Arados using the Ornate Chart. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that Arados is the only island left other than the wave symbol island to discover in your game, and the it's revealed when you complete the milestone for using the Ornate Chart.

Do you want to be able to do a standard exploration in order to open Box 5?

response

no i don't want to be able to do that as it would really break the game. my larger point was - have we done something wrong to end up in this position or is it simply a possibility that can occur that the rules don't happen to mention? the reason i ask this is the rules to cover some edge cases, for instance what happens if there is only one blank spaces in a column. the rules also mention the possibility of no milestones. the rules don't mention the possibility that you'll be out of island stickers. i suspect we're fine but wondered if we'd missed something. generally if you run out of a sticker - a market, a production source - you have done something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
So wait - do you have the 30 island and then just 1 other island left? Or do you have the 30 island and 2 islands left?

just the one + the 30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're fine, you need to have space to put the island sticker from Box 5 so you can't explore that column yet. The rules are inconsistent sometimes.

On the topic of "running out of stickers means you've done something wrong" - be aware it's also possible to be one short on +1 Glory stickers (in which case just write it on yourself to the appropriate spot) or Enmity stickers (in which case you need some coloured pens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
On the topic of "running out of stickers means you've done something wrong" - be aware it's also possible to be one short on +1 Glory stickers (in which case just write it on yourself to the appropriate spot) or Enmity stickers (in which case you need some coloured pens).

You can also run out of atoll stickers: there's one more atoll card than the number of stickers provided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks much gentlemen. i will let the group know and also now know that there are other stickers that can run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Then you are fine. You don't have anymore island stickers to do the explore action with so you have no more islands to explore. You will get the last spot with a milestone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.