Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Games using this mechanism rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Nikolaus
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting on a new game and I am looking for some games that may use a similar mechanism. The game will have a 3x3 grid of tiles with symbols on them. The players will take turns moving the tiles around to get the symbols in a particular order so they can play cards from their hands that match a string of symbols. The size of the grid and what the cards do is less important than the manipulation of the grid for my purposes. I am sure that there are games that use this, but off the top of my head I don't know of any.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Avatar
I watched the review of the game that uses that mechanic, but it was with worker placement (well, it's basically actions you can take). I can't remember right now the name of the game, but it was something about building cathedrals in some old European town. You push tiles following the rows or columns and you do stuff depending on the things that are left in the grid.

Ah, found it, it's Ulm. Idk how to make a link toward the game in database, so use search lol.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:

Ah, found it, it's Ulm. Idk how to make a link toward the game in database, so use search lol.


Ulm

Tada!

Bojan, when you're in the text editor for making a post, if you see the drop down labeled "Insert Geek Link" and click it, you'll see a massive list of things you can link to on the site. For games, just select "Board Game" and a box will pop up prompting you to enter the name of the game. Just type it in, and select the right entry from the list that pops up, and enter text if you want the link to say something other than the game name (for example, CLICK HERE).
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nikolaus
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. In Ulm it seems that you push new tiles into place and remove the piece that no longer fits into a 3x3. In what i'm thinking the same 9 tiles will always be on the board and will just get shuffled around rather than adding and removing them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Avatar
AngryJoe wrote:
8Oj4N wrote:

Ah, found it, it's Ulm. Idk how to make a link toward the game in database, so use search lol.


Ulm

Tada!

Bojan, when you're in the text editor for making a post, if you see the drop down labeled "Insert Geek Link" and click it, you'll see a massive list of things you can link to on the site. For games, just select "Board Game" and a box will pop up prompting you to enter the name of the game. Just type it in, and select the right entry from the list that pops up, and enter text if you want the link to say something other than the game name (for example, CLICK HERE).


Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demonoid36 wrote:
I am starting on a new game and I am looking for some games that may use a similar mechanism. The game will have a 3x3 grid of tiles with symbols on them. The players will take turns moving the tiles around to get the symbols in a particular order so they can play cards from their hands that match a string of symbols. The size of the grid and what the cards do is less important than the manipulation of the grid for my purposes. I am sure that there are games that use this, but off the top of my head I don't know of any.


Sounds a bit like Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Stars Are Right
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Delp
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not quite the same, but in Apotheca you're moving tiles around to get a set of three matching potions (or some other shape). Special cards allow you to manipulate the tiles in certain ways.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game Labyrinth, there are many more tiles and you're stringing together larger combinations (pathways) in order to "score" cards from your hand. The concept is similar, but execution is very different.

The tile manipulation in Ulm was a great suggestion. Apotheca was the first game that came to my mind, as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.