Subject: Any interesting stories with "nongamers"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Nongamers" is defined as people who aren't really that into the hobby, still go around playing mass market stuff like Uno, Monopoly, Cards Against Humanity, scoff at paying more than $15 for just, one, board game, and/or can't see themselves spending 2 hours playing a game when they could've gotten in 3 games otherwise.

They still interact with us gamers due to reasons including but not limited to: They're family, they get pulled into or decide to try out some of the more "gamer games", etc.

I sort of stopped going to them even before I moved to other regions. The company and food were great, but it was honestly more so the drive was too far. Although TBF, if there was a time crunch, other "better" gaming events, or otherwise even other things I'd much rather go to, I would've gone to those groups less and less anyways.

Nowadays, even playing the games I'd like to play is less frequent, let alone "non gaming groups", so I completely stopped going to them. I won't recoil in horror if a group in a party decides to have an impromptu game of Cards Against Humanity (I just sit out), but not going to them for a long time now has me miss some of those unique stories.

The ones I recall are:
-I can quote one of my nongamer groups saying "Let's play one of our games... all of your games take over an hour to play!"
*So we play over an hour and a half of Uno instead. That was sooo much better /s yuk
*However, a 5p game of Kingsburg lasted 2.5 hours. Not only did no1 complain, but everyone said they had a lot of fun!

-they think McDonalds is s@#$ and would never eat there
I didn't have the heart to tell them that your typical board gamer would treat games like Uno and Monopoly like "the McDonalds of board gaming"

-I introduce Dominion to them
They like it and considered getting it... because it's only $45 instead of $50 for Ticket To Ride. $5 shouldn't have made THAT much of a difference, but evidently, so

-I introduce them to Ticket To Ride + 1910
*When they ask about it, they're shocked that it costs $50! And it's actually $70 since the 1910 add-on adds another $20 to the price
*I tell them they could order online at high discount, but they want to supports local stores. I tell them if you don't buy anything, you're not supporting anybody anyways
*I guess it was part of how I attended less and less, but they finally "caved" and bought their own copy of TtR cool Ditto with Transamerica that I also introduced them to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few stories, all combined from my other major hobby, swimming. First; I had a gaming event for kids during a swim practice weekend, where many of the kids got so hooked on the games that they just had to know where I bought my games. Of course I used the opportunity to advertise for my friends` online boardgame store. Also some instructors from the same weekend got a bit hooked. One of them asked if I could arrange one for instructors as well. I am on it!!

At the end of March I am going to Oslo on a big event for swim instructors and leaders in swimming clubs. A friend, and fellow instructor, is going. We talked about the event. She had been at my place once, in order to work with some administration due to the swimming courses. While waiting for others I broke out, once Rush Hour (the solo `get the car out of the parking lot` game), another time I made her play Karmaka. We are meeting at the airport to go together for the event. I told her I would be packing a few games in my suitcase. Her reaction was "Yes!!" LITERALLY!!laughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, there's lots of stories with nongamers, but I think that they're just called "News."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elaine Winifred

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a recent work trip I got my co-workers to play Medici after dinner. They couldn’t get enough of it, we played 3 games that were filled with fits of laughter. The next trip they all asked if I brought “the boat game.” Medici, affectionately coined “the boat game” by non-gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister in law's gateway game was Junta. She thought it was "an excellent satire. Not so much of a specific country, but of the Latin American political process in general".

She doesn't play a lot of games. But she does have a PHD in Latin American politics.

ackmondual wrote:
can't see themselves spending 2 hours playing a game when they could've gotten in 3 games otherwise.

That sounds like half the posters on here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My niece is a battlestar galactica fan. I would not call her a non gamer, but she only really plays every few months with me. She bought the game and she set up and taught the game Just fine. When she dealt out the last round of loyalty cards she dealt out hers by accident and kept the reserves. She didn't look at her hand after either which made it really weird because she had the cylon cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Hodgins
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I was able to get my non gamer dad and brother to play Age of War over the xmas holidays. We actually had a great time with it. There was a couple drinks which might have helped with the flow of the game. Throwing dice can be quite rowdy They were surprised with how much fun they had. Thats what I've found with some my non gamer friends as well - to have a higher chance of a good time - you have to ease them into it with some of the simpler games out there. Next up is BANG! The Dice Game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jhonny seven
msg tools
mbmbmb
So a group of people who like to get together an play games are "non gamers" because you do not like the games they want to play and will sit out if they play a party game you do not like?

No disrespect but it sounds like you are the problem. You may just need to find a new group that shares your interests.

I have a group that likes to play games I don't care for, including ticket to ride which I find utterly boring. I wont be a snob and sit out I will play it because I am there to hang out with these people.

I also would not pay $20 for ticket to ride and there are several "typical gamers" who would agree with me, but who cares? If you like it it's worth every penny. There is no reason to criticize anyone for having different interests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhonnyseven wrote:
So a group of people who like to get together an play games are "non gamers" because you do not like the games they want to play and will sit out if they play a party game you do not like?
We do have a list of shared games. It's just not very large is all. And I did define what I'd consider a "nongamer". It was not "games I don't like".

jhonnyseven wrote:
No disrespect but it sounds like you are the problem.
Partly. In the end, I went there more so for the food and company, NOT the games. To me, that's acceptable, and I still enjoyed that much. And in that vein, many of us here on BGG.com ARE the problem... We do have a minimal level of "elitism" which is what gets the obby to evolve.

jhonnyseven wrote:
You may just need to find a new group that shares your interests.

I did. I wouldn't have minded dropping by if they were close by, but to have to drive a 2.5 hours round trip, on a work night, ended up being too much for me, so I did stop going.

jhonnyseven wrote:
I have a group that likes to play games I don't care for, including ticket to ride which I find utterly boring. I wont be a snob and sit out I will play it because I am there to hang out with these people.
On the contrary, me sitting out is just the thing that allowed them to play Ticket To Ride. They NEVER split up to play games, so when a 6th person showed up, that meant TtR was no longer on option. I volunteered to sit out. The person in the kitchen who's turn it was to cook for the group looked like he could use a hand anyways

This is almost a subject for another thread, but I'll say this as briefly as I can... I absolutely believe that sometimes, sitting out is a valid option. If a game is put on the table that I just don't like (and believe you me, there aren't THAT many of these), I'd rather not pile on my misery on them. If I'm at a regular (that I've been going to for years), then we have unwritten rules that we don't make people play games they don't want to. This does exclude some folks, but it does mean we get There is some due diligence on my part to ensure, a new group will be compatible with my tastes.

jhonnyseven wrote:
I also would not pay $20 for ticket to ride and there are several "typical gamers" who would agree with me, but who cares? If you like it it's worth every penny. There is no reason to criticize anyone for having different interests.

No criticizing on my part. I told them what the game would cost, they thought it was too much, end of story. Back then, I really liked to promote the hobby, but in the end, it's their money to do with, and if they declined, I didn't badger them about it. Later on they ended up buying a few titles for themselves, so that just shows they the price wasn't an absolute barrier. I wouldn't have cared if they ended up never getting either of them. Either way, they were welcome to play my copies of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No interesting story with "nongamers" ever involved playing a game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One time a non-gamer dared approach my citadel and I was forced to scoff at him so forcefully that my monocle popped right off my face!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a reviewer named Scott Nicholson, who said something along the lines of:

the group shouldn't make themselves fit the needs of the game, rather the game should fit the needs of the group.

----

After gaming for a long time I've learned that this is really true. If I sense a group is made up of "cards against humanity" or "uno" types, then I happily play that kind of game.

of course there are better games, but sometimes it's just not the time and place to show people. I actually find it embarrassing when people try to force others to play a game that doesn't suit group, but it happens quite often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My story is that I prepared a couple of games for a family reunion holiday (Rise of Augustus, Codenames, etc).

It turned out that my sister is an avid Twilight Struggle player, one cousin participates in a large boardgaming group, etc wow

Everyone had indepently developed an interest for boardgames. Either some family determinism, or the zeitgeist, or both.

Still, only I had brought games for the occasion, and we had lots of fun with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolkster
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ran into a group of 'Muggles' like that once. On Meetup.com it was listed as a gaming group, with a potluck that started at 7:00 PM. My buddy brought Settlers and I brought Splendor hoping to introduce them to a new game as their game table was full of Sequence, Apples to Apples, Cribbage, Sorry, etc.

There were about 25 people there and we ate then we sat down for a game. The 4 people Greg played with declared that Settlers was too hard and quit after a few turns. Splendor was more successful as they finished the game, but one lady kept glaring at me, because I didn't explain all the rules to her correctly, I did (to get a Noble you have to have the correct colored cards, not cards and chips).

Around 8:00 many started to shuffle out and around 8:30 PM on a Saturday night the place was deserted and they declared it was late and time to go home. 8:30? On a Saturday night? I'm used to playing until midnight or 11:00 at the earliest. I realized that they were there for the food not for the games as many of them weren't even playing a game. Don't know if they're still 'playing' as we never went back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tons of great stories with "non gamers" but none are about playing games. I'm not going swimming with non-swimmers or camping with people who hate sleeping in tents either. Who would?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

It is and I only will eat there when I'm on the road and in a hurry for breakfast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

It is and I only will eat there when I'm on the road and in a hurry for breakfast.

Sausage and Egg biscuits are the best travel breakfast. And I don't know why, but I only stop there when I'm driving across state. Otherwise I never eat there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cardflopper wrote:
There is a reviewer named Scott Nicholson, who said something along the lines of:

the group shouldn't make themselves fit the needs of the game, rather the game should fit the needs of the group.

----

After gaming for a long time I've learned that this is really true. If I sense a group is made up of "cards against humanity" or "uno" types, then I happily play that kind of game.

of course there are better games, but sometimes it's just not the time and place to show people. I actually find it embarrassing when people try to force others to play a game that doesn't suit group, but it happens quite often.

After having watched some of Scott Nicholson's videos, I have a lot of respect for him. I may be missing part of your intended point with this but: that quote also says to me that there is nothing wrong with sitting out if you yourself are not a "cards against humanity" or "uno" type. I agree with not forcing games on other people and that part of this is knowing your audience and knowing your moment/milieu.

Likewise, I'm not going to force myself to play something I know I won't enjoy even with the current company. We can find common ground with the game after and I'll jump back in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift Marlo wrote:
Tons of great stories with "non gamers" but none are about playing games. I'm not going swimming with non-swimmers or camping with people who hate sleeping in tents either. Who would?
You generally shouldn't do this. If you're hosting, be clear about what you'd expect. As an attendee, do some due diligence and some research into something that may be waaay out of your league. For example, I won't do hiking events that are too strenuous. OTOH, I expect the host to be reasonably accurate on how much time the hikes will take, the distance, what the elevation gain will be, and any special equipment we'll need. One time, a hiking event was actually 3 miles longer than was listed, but the group made that up by being fine with me taking longer than otherwise at that point.

However, when introducing newcomers to this hobby, I expect you'll have moments, even if brief, before they go from "non-gamer" to "gamer", assuming they did want to make that leap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.