Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, close enough. And, even cooler.
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/03/must-see-gws-new-stea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been six months since I posted about the Kharadron Overlords. Not long later, I bought an Arkanaut Company ( I have to stop hanging out at the FLGS on the days they receive GW their shipments). And, I have spent every day since then painting them.

OK, I only got around to painting them yesterday and this morning. And, it shows. But, here's what they look like for reals:

Remember, they are not a 40K thing. They are from the Age of Sigmar fantasy game. Their shtick is sky pirates who travel in gasbag supported floating ships, and rappel down to make mischief. Hence, their metallic face masks and breathing apparatus. Their arcane weapons are also gas powered, with a low-tech sci-fi feel. I like the look and didn't feel the need to convert them to 40K weapons. The original 40K Squats were mechanically minded, so I went for a "car mechanic" jumpsuit scheme. I like these KO's/Neo-Squats. They are easy to build, easy to paint. Nicely detailed. And, way better looking than the original Squats, IMHO.

Now, how do they stack up with other 40K models?

Size matters. And, they are indeed Squat. But, pleasingly plump, so they look the part.

There are Space Hulk rules for Squats on the Net. So, I'm good. Or, I'll do some tinkering. To justify acquiring them in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
... To justify acquiring then in the first place.

That's exactly how it works for me too. When I have rules for them, I buy the miniatures. Or when I like the miniatures, I HAVE to find or create rules for them. Even when NOT playing with the mini's ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, with so many mini's leading to storage and transportation problems. So, I use a simple matter-energy conversion process similar to Star Trek's transporter technology.

Or, I will once I work out the details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MintyTheCat Cat
msg tools
tocoking wrote:
ZombieMark wrote:
... To justify acquiring then in the first place.

That's exactly how it works for me too. When I have rules for them, I buy the miniatures. Or when I like the miniatures, I HAVE to find or create rules for them. Even when NOT playing with the mini's ever.

I tend to do the same - finding ways to expand SH. SH is pretty good in that it is fairly easy to expand it and this gives it lots and lots of potential that will last long-term I find.

I was playing a mission last night : "Take Control" from WD197 I think. A bit too easy compared to the last one I played.

Your Squats look rather nicely painted, Mark - well done.

The darker months approach and I hope to get some decent SH games sorted with a few friends.

Keep the SH spirit, Chaps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are no explicit rules for the Arkanaut Company (for the 4th ed SH)?

Otherwise I would love to get them... (I probably get them anyway and replace them with the regular Space Marines)..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Norb wrote:
So there are no explicit rules for the Arkanaut Company (for the 4th ed SH)?

This travesty is yet another piece of the mosaic that is of the Sorry Saga of Squats. From their glorious genesis in Ye Olde Rogue Trader. To their magnificent army of chunky grease monkey bikers and trikers. To their callous demise and dismissal at the ink-stained hands of the villainous powers that be at Ye Olde GW. To today, where they circle the drain of eternity. With only this lifeline of Arkanuats, untethered by any official Space Hulk rules for Squats. Oh, the humanity!

Space Hulk rules? As far as I know, no. Nothing official. But, there's stuff on the web. Rules drawing from their ancient 40K lore. Squats of olde were slower, but tougher than men. With a slight advantage in leadership. Using Imperial weapons for the most part. Ultimately, that unimaginative lack of distinction from Imperial Guard is what did them in. Space Hulk doesn't have the granularity to really pick out subtle differences, though a single decrease in Squat's Action Points would be significant. And, would need an offset. They do beg for something more innovative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MintyTheCat Cat
msg tools
I think this is one of the nice aspects of SH - it is really easy to adapt and add features and rules to it but I agree, the granularity is a bit limiting factor wise.

Still, by adapting them and for other races, for example the Eldar, you could come up with some decent options for players. I like how SH can be played many ways with different races and teams. Also, it is pretty cool when a player can choose their own team instead of just using the standard 5 man Terminator team. Our Marines in Power Armour games were quite different but we also found that things got a bit crowded so you may be better off playing PA Marine games using the Deathwing tiles.

Be interesting to work out some rules for the Squats though. I did some work and still work on SH rules for different units myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.