Popular Tags: [View All]
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, while I try to decide how to break it to my wife that I would actually spend the $300 they're asking for copies of Gloomhaven on Amazon, I decided to play Gloomhaven-Lite...

No, wait, I'm just kidding. Do you see my all-female party below? I'm actually playing Twelve Deck Dungeon...

Ok, Ok, it's actually the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: The Mummy's Mask, the fourth and latest version of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game series. (I can't believe there are no other session reports yet!)

I played and loved the first one, Rise of the Runlords, but skipped Skull and Shackles because I didn't want to add the Ships mechanics and skipped Wrath of the Righteous because it seemed to high-powered... but Mummies... I loves me some mummies and there's no ships, so I'm back in!

Here's my game start with Simoun, the Janni Rogue, Ahmotep, a Human Magus, and Channa-Ti, a Half-Elf Druid. Not sure if this is a good, balanced party yet, but they're the characters that interested me the most, so off we go on the Base Game set's intro Adventure (Cross the Pharoah's Land) and the first Scenario of that Adventure (All That Glitters Begets Gold).

On the very first turn of the game, Simoun's first exploration turns up the Henchman, Giant Sand Eel. She defeats it and closes the first location on her first turn, but the Giant Sand Eel slips away underground to another open location.

On the second turn of the game, Ahmotep encounters a Lightning Storm (which won't bother her until next turn). She Recharges a Blessing of the Ancients to explore again and encounters ANOTHER Henchman, one of the Mining Constructs running amok in the Precious Mine. She beats the Mining Construct by a lot using a Spell but tones down the damage by using one of her powers to reduce her die roll just a smidgen so she doesn't obliterate the automaton, but instead disables it enough so she can grab a goodie off of it. The Mine also coughs up a goodie when she closes it.

Two turns in and two of the five locations are closed already. My luck continues when Channa-Ti first acquires a Blessing, the Recharges her Porcupine companion to explore again (what is a porcupine and a water druid doing in a desert together? there is a joke there somewhere waiting to happen...) and she turns up ANOTHER Henchman. Which she beats as well with a small enough margin to grab a goodie for herself, but she fails her check to close the location, so she's going to have to churn through the cards there the hard way to get it closed.

Things slow down after that. It's several turns later until Simoun turns up the head Villain, Bonecrusher Master, an evil gnoll. Channa-Ti temporarily blocks off the Stonework Passages, Ahmotep can't do the same at the Quarry, so even though Simoun defeats him and closes down the Volcanic Vents, the bad guy runs off the to Quarry.

Knowing where the bad guy is, everyone goes to help out Chann-Ti shut down the Passages for good, before everyone goes to get the villain at the Quarry. With everyone at the Quarry, the second time Simoun throws all her knifes and blowguns against the mastermind, blessings are being thrown around by her teammates and the first scenario ends in a win and we get rewarded by meeting two Traders, a new card and mechanic for this set that makes in between scenarios deck building and character improvement even MORE fun.

I still have to look over the loot I picked up, see what the Traders will have and retool my decks, but I'm saving that for tomorrow. Tonight, I am just happy to be back at playing this game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your party seems well-balanced, at least on the surface: Melee, Ranged, Arcane, Divine.

My wife and I loved Runelords. We gave up S&S halfway through because it felt too punishing and capricious, and we skipped Wrath. MM looked like a return to form, and sure enough, we're loving it. We are Simoun and Drelm (cleric), and we just finished the first adventure of box 3.

I agree with you that the faux-Egypian theme is fun, and that traders are an awesome new mechanism.

Good luck with your campaign. I hope you post additional reports. I'm especially curious how Ahmotep does, because I played her for one scenario before switching to Drelm. (We decided we needed healing in our party.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, that's some bizarre luck with the early henchmen....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:

Good luck with your campaign. I hope you post additional reports. I'm especially curious how Ahmotep does, because I played her for one scenario before switching to Drelm. (We decided we needed healing in our party.)

Thanks! I do plan on continuing, especially no one else has been posting sessions here.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back for another couple scenarios from the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: The Mummy's Mask, the fourth and latest version of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game series.

Here's my game start with Simoun, the Janni Rogue, Ahmotep, a Human Magus, and Channa-Ti, a Half-Elf Druid.

Today, we are still in the Base Game set's intro Adventure (Cross the Pharoah's Land) and this is the second Scenario of that Adventure (A Sandstorm of Malevolent Will).

This scenario was more annoying than dangerous, with the most serious obstacle that the trio faced was the possibility of running out of time by running out of cards in the Blessings deck. There are Sandstorms in the Blessings deck which get your characters lost in the blowing sand where they all will turn up at random locations where they have to examine the first card of the location deck.

One of the new things in The Mummy's Mask, are Trigger cards where you don't even have to encounter the card to have something bad happen. Just examining the card can trigger some bad effects. The main Villains henchmen were sand witches called the Agash who burn a card off the top of the Blessings deck when you examine them and then add ANOTHER Sandstorm to the Blessings deck, which gets reshuffled.

So, I would have turns where characters would get swept up in a Sandstorm, get blown to a location where they would examine the Agash, who would burn a card off the top of the Blessings deck which would turn out to be another Sandstorm who would send a character to the same location would examine the same Agash a second time and burn ANOTHER card off the Blessings deck. Plus there were locations where you would lose cards out of your hand if you started your turn at those locations and a Lightning Storm that did damage if you started your turn at that location. So continually getting blown to random locations was quite annoying.

But fun, really... LOL My CHARACTERS found it annoying, but as the omnipotent god who controls them, I found it amusing and very thematic.

For all that bother, the ending of this scenario was a bit anticlimatic. The main Villain was an undead flying glass Dragon. Too bad he ran into my Druid who happened to be carrying the Holy Hand Grenade (or whatever it is really called). A one-shot card you banish back to the game box after use, not something I usually would pack in a deck, but perfect here as it instantly defeats any Undead monster who doesn't have any checks over 12. (Like the Undead glass Dragon.)

I know there are people who say this game is not that conducive to role-playing your characters but I think this edition of the game has come a long way from Rise of the Runelords as to making thematic monsters, traps, barriers and adventures.

Part of that is
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
's background lore document that attempts to fill in the "gaps" in the story and to which I am tempted to write up my character's stories to make them their own unique contributions to the ongoing narrative.

Amhotep - She's the clear leader. She has lived in these lands the longest and was even a member of government, but she's heading to Wati because she's been bothered by a series of bad dreams that she is taking as omens of troubles to come in her lands. It's not that she's all so altruistic, but rather she just wants to be able to sleep at night again without these damn dreams. And since no one will believe her, she set off on her own. Realizing she couldn't do it alone, she picked up

Simoun - The Rogue. She doesn't really care about Amhotep's dreams, just accumulating riches and she figures Amhotep's knowledge of the lands and lore will help her find those riches. She will put up with Amhotep's quest for now...

Channa-Ti - She came to these lands as a coming of age quest/test/looking for the meaning of life and figured the challenge of being a water-based druid in a place so devoid of water would be a great test for herself. But it was worse than she had counted on, she had gotten some bad advice (got snookered more like it) and Amhotep and Simoun came along at a time she was in great trouble and got her out of it. She's been following them ever since, partly because Amhotep's quest fits her bill of finding her worth in life, but mostly because she's scared to leave them now and be on her own again.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my second scenario in the last couple of days from the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: The Mummy's Mask.

Same Characters: Simoun, the Janni Rogue, Ahmotep, a Human Magus, and Channa-Ti, a Half-Elf Druid.

Playing the Base Game set's intro Adventure (Cross the Pharaoh's Land) and this is the third Scenario of that Adventure (Desiccated Delirium). After the last scenario where the party and the caravan they were travelling with almost got lost for good in the swirling sandstorms of an ancient undead Dragon, in this scenario, the caravan is perilously low on water and need to find some soon. The problem is the lack of water is driving everyone to crazy risks and seeing things that aren't there and drinking from what look to be cool refreshing pools of water only to find stinging acid or deadly poison.

All the henchmen (and the main villain) in this adventure are obstacles and not monsters. Acid Pools are the "henchmen", a Mirage of a wonderful watering hole is the "Villain". Every time you think you've found the Mirage, it's just that, a mirage until you can close EVERY location except one.

Like the last game, the main peril of this game was the timing mechanism, not attacks from desert beasts or bad guys. It ended like this:

It ended in the most dramatic fashion possible. On the penultimate turn, Amhotep had to find the final Acid Pool and close the penultimate location. There were four cards left and the first explore found her nothing important, she burned her last blessing for her last Exploration and found the Acid Pool! She beat it and banished an item to close the Caravanserai.

Simoun flipped the last Blessing card off the Blessings deck. This was her last shot. Her first exploration found her a trap she could easily disarm. She had to discard the Tomb Raider to explore again (her last possible explore!) and found the Mirage! It has a difficulty of 7 and you need Wisdom, Craft, Intelligence, or Survival to beat it. All the weapons and combat spells in the world won't help here. No one had any more blessings to add anydice, it all came down to one final die roll against Simoun's d8+2 Survival Skill. She would need to roll a 5 or better, and they would win OR I would have to play this scenario all over again from the beginning!

I rolled the d8.... FIVE! The exact roll I needed! Wow on the last roll of the final turn against the final card and I rolled the exact number I needed! (Maybe this was karma gifting me back after my terrible Rallyman runs the night before!)

What a great, fun game. Loved that tension coming down to a single 50-50 roll, like playing for an hour and a half and reducing it to what was basically a coin toss!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, this sounded fun. I was thinking, "But doesn't Simoun get a bonus against barriers like Mirage?" I checked -- she needs a power feat to gain the bonus against Obstacles. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, in case anyone is interested, after the first three scenarios, the characters look like this (after trading with each other and traders):

(Note: At this point, I only have access to cards from the B and C decks.)

---------------------------------------------------------
Amhotep: For her Skill feat, she took the bump to Intelligence. d10 + 1 now.

Non-Basic Cards: Fiery Glare (improved Fire based attack spell), Filter Hood (Light Armor), Game of Afterlife (Item Loot), and Giant Slug (Ally)

Simoun: For her Skill feat, she took the bump also to Intelligence. d8 + 1 now (for the Craft and Perception Skills).

Non-Basic Cards: Kohl of Uncanny Discernment (Item), Burglar's Bracers (Item), Scarab Buckler (Armor Loot), and Blessing of Ra (Blessing)

Channa-Ti: Not to be left out, for her Skill feat, she was the third one to take an increase to Intelligence. d6 + 1 now (Also for the Craft skill boost).

Non-Basic Cards: Chakram (Weapon), Holy Light (Spell), Crocodile Skin Lamellar (Armor), Fire Gecko (Ally), Ubashki (Ally - even though she can't recharge this one), Blessing of Nethys and Blessing of Pharasma (Blessings), and Canteen(Item - to combo with her Flash Freeze item, plus it seems so in character!)

I forsee Channa-Ti's first Card feat to get another Item to get another liquid item to use with the Canteen.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reposted from Solitaire Games on Your Tabletop GeekList, so pardon any repetition from previous posts...

The Story So Far: Our band of three adventurers is on their way to the Ancient City of Wati in a carvan across the desert. The ancient tombs there have been opened via a lottery for adventurers to claim whatever they may find. The party consists of: the leader, Ahmotep, a Human Magus who is driven by dark dreams and omens that call to her; Simoun, the Janni Rogue who says she is only in it for the money; and Channa-Ti, a Half-Elf Druid, who ended up owing the other two a Life Debt while on a pilgrimage of discovery.

On the Caravan's travels (the Adventure "Across the Pharoah's Lands"), they had to retrieve some merchant's goods from a bandit in a cave (Scenario: "All That Glitters Begets Gold"). That opened up some trading relationships. They ran into some sandstorms caused by an ancient undead glass dragon that threatened to tear apart the caravan (Scenario: "A Sandstorm of Malevolent Will"). After the sandstorms were fought off, the caravan was perilously low on water, finding only mirages and Acid Pools until the party pulled it off (Scenario: "Dessicated Delirium").

It turns out the reason for the lack of water could be tracked back to a Thuvian Alchemist holed up in her Alchemists Tower and that is where the party will be venturing this evening first. (Scenario: "The Tainted Tower") I had to put my tainted dice tower nearby!

The Alchemist is backed up by an item-destroying Elemental called Paracletus and her mechanical Alchemical Constructs who are immune to Magic Attacks (cards with Attack trait).

Things just fell right for the group this scenario despite the first exploration of every turn doing nothing. (Which means you had to use cards or powers to do every exploration.) The trade off is you had one less location to explore this game. Ahmotep took out the number one henchman, Paracletus, on the first turn of the game with (again!) the Holy Water Grenade. That closed one of the four locations and things went easy from there.

(NOTE: Generally, I don't like these "use once and banish to box" Items, but this is twice in four Scenarios the Holy Water Grenade has taken out a big baddie in one shot. I realize this card won't be as useful in later Adventures, but right now it's still good.)

Simoun found the Alchemist holed up appropriately in her Tower, and with Ahmotep able to close the Thornscrub by taking 1 point of Poison damage (stopped by the Filter Hood) and Channa-Ti recharging one of her ever-present Liquid cards to close the Oasis, she was able to take down the Alchemist easily using a Noxious Bomb and save the day.

Quickly dispatching this threat, the party and the caravan finally arrived in the City of Wati only to find it engulfed in flames with an Ifreeti and a bunch of Fire Demons running wild starting fires throughout the city. Once again, the party was called upon to defeat the threat. (Scenario: "Forged in Flames")

(Note: I had enough time for a second game which would end the "Across the Pharoah's Land" adventure and let me open Adventure Deck 1, "The Half-Dead City", along with buffing my characters with their first Power upgrades.)

Things didn't go as well as they had with the Alchemist. Everything that could go wrong was going wrong. Simoun got Cursed twice, once with Poison, once with Vunerability. Both Simoun and Ahmotep came dangerously close to death at points, but Channa-Ti came through this time. She managed to find a way to keep her teammates from death's door (repaying her Life Debt in the process) and also defeated the Ifreeti boss (with her teammates tossing Blessings her way to finish him off). The victory over the evil demon came with only two Blessings cards left (two turns left in the game).

THOUGHTS ON PATHFINDER ADVENTURE CARD GAME: Mummy's Mask

You know, I really thought getting Gloomhaven would "fire" PACG. But it turns out that what has happened is that I find both games complement each other very well for me. One is a tactical diceless combat system with a lot of planning (GH) and the other is a more "fly by the seat of your pants, chuck a lot of dice" experience for me (PACG). For both games, I am excited by continually improving my characters (and Pathfinder's "permadeath" rules keeps me on my toes there), and the joy of opening new boxes of unknown goodies (and baddies!).

Also, the Mummy's Mask is the 4th iteration of the PACG base sets and the first I've played since the first one, Rise of the Runelords. They've added many things to this version that really improve the game experience for me.

thumbsup Traders - They make the after-scenario deck-building/deck-tuning even more fun than it was before.
thumbsup Triggers - Before, it was always useful to "examine" cards before encountering them. Now, you might pay for that ability. More decision-making is good.
thumbsup Curses - Annoying negative persistent status effects the characters have to deal with.
thumbsup Fine-tuning the checks - Before, when attempting a check, you threw as many dice at it as you could. Now, there are cards that punish you for beating a score by TOO much. More decision-making. How much power is going to be too much.
thumbsup Better story-telling - Only played through the Basic adventures so far, haven't opened any of the Adventure Decks yet, but every mission here was connected by a logical (and good) storyline and the missions felt like they belonged to a cohesive whole while telling their own sub-plots. This, in turn, makes it feel much more like an RPG and inspires my storytelling above (which plays out in my head first).
thumbsup More varied adventures - First game was almost universally, trap the boss and beat him for every scenario. You would have one out of five that may be different. I just finished the Basic Adventure this evening with five scenarios and every single one felt different, even when the end goal was trap the boss and beat them. Accomplished through additional hazards and types of henchmen and locations. I can't wait to see what they are going to do next. Which leads to my last and favorite improvement over ROTR...
thumbsup Everything is much more thematic - I guess maybe this goes with the better story-telling, but the cards/scenarios are much more thematic. Again, helps so much to make it more RPG-like. To give a couple of my favorite examples so far...

The villain that was a Mirage. Everytime you found it and went to trap it... guess what... it's not there, it's a Mirage. Go look elsewhere.

When we got to the town attacked by Fire Demons. There were Conflagration "henchmen" mixed into the Blessings deck. So, as you advanced through a scenario about a town in flames, various parts of the town (random locations) would burst into fire!

I just loved that stuff. It really feels like they have gotten a great handle on the limitless possibilities they can implement with a game like this. Well done. It will surely be sharing the Gloomhaven table for a good time to come.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't done any of the after-adventure stuff (it was 2AM when I finished last night), but will post new decks and character upgrades chosen from the last two scenarios later this evening after I sort it all out.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DocSavage2001 wrote:
Also, the Mummy's Mask is the 4th iteration of the PACG base sets and the first I've played since the first one, Rise of the Runelords. They've added many things to this version that really improve the game experience for me.

There is one more very important improvement in MM over RotR:

thumbsup Multi-use cards - In RotR, most boons did one thing. Armor protected you; weapons could attack. Sure, they might have different powers for discard vs. bury, but pretty much they were useful in a single situation. In MM, most boons seem to have more than one use. Armor might let you evade; a weapon might be used to heal. This adds a ton of decisions, both during play, and when rebuilding your decks. It makes the game slightly less accessible to first-timers, but the richness is a great thing for more serious gamers. [Perhaps this multi-use trend started in S&S, but I forget. And perhaps it already existed in WotR, but I skipped that one.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
DocSavage2001 wrote:

thumbsup Multi-use cards - In RotR, most boons did one thing. Armor protected you; weapons could attack. Sure, they might have different powers for discard vs. bury, but pretty much they were useful in a single situation. In MM, most boons seem to have more than one use. Armor might let you evade; a weapon might be used to heal. This adds a ton of decisions, both during play, and when rebuilding your decks. It makes the game slightly less accessible to first-timers, but the richness is a great thing for more serious gamers. [Perhaps this multi-use trend started in S&S, but I forget. And perhaps it already existed in WotR, but I skipped that one.]

YES! I agree with that one too! It just seems like a LOT of different additions were made to increase the amount of decisions you have to make about what cards to play when and for what use. Great stuff.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Character Upgrades through "Across The Pharoah's Lands":

(Note: At this point, I only have access to cards from the B and C decks. Deck 1 cards will be available from here on out though.)

New stuff from last time is highlighted in BOLD.

Amhotep:
Skill feats: +1 INT
Card feats: +1 Blessing
Power feats: Recharge (instead of only Discard) to get +/- 2 to a check result.

Deck: Weapons: Flaming Heavy Pick +1, Explorer's Staff; Spells: Remove Curse, Acid Jet, Fiery Glare, Unshakable Chill; Armor: Filter Hood; Items: Flame Staff, Kohl of Uncanny Discernment (from Simoun), Game of Afterlife; Allies: Pahmet Clansman, Giant Slug; Blessings: Blessing of the Elements x 2, Blessing of the Ancients x 2 (one new)

Simoun:
Card feats: +1 Blessing
Power feats: Add Perception skill to Obstacle checks as well as Traps.

Deck: Weapons: Chakram, Kopis x 4; Armor: Scarab Buckler; Items: Burglar's Bracers, Key of the Second Vault, Smoked Glass Goggles; Allies: Dhabba, Shock Lizard, Embalmer; Blessings: Blessing of the Elements, Blessing of the Ancients, Blessing of Ra, Blessing of Horus

Channa-Ti:
Card feats: +1 Item (she wants more liquids for her Canteen)
Power feats: Discard a card to add 1d8 to checks that invoke Electricity or Poison (in addition to Acid or Cold).

Deck: Weapons: Chakram; Spells: Holy Light x 2, Acid Jet, Cure, Good Omen; Armor: Crocodile Skin Lamellar; Items: Canteen, Flash Freeze, Potion of Energy Resistance; Allies: Camel, Fire Gecko, Shock Lizard, Ubashki; Blessings: Blessing of Nethys, Blessing of Pharasma

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
DocSavage2001 wrote:

I fully agree -- but I have seen this very change cited on other forums as a *problem* with Mummy's Mask. People are essentially complaining "Now I have to read the cards!" smh....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was already very hyped about playing more of this after getting through the Basic Adventure "Across the Pharoah's Lands" and about to dive into Adventure Deck 1 "The Half-Dead City", but then I recently got a chance to play the PACG (Mummy's Mask version too) at a local comic/game convention with real live human beings for the first time ever. It was exciting to find out it was just as much fun to play with other people as it is to play solo.

The Story so Far:
Plagued by ominous dreams, Amhotep the Magus has traveled across the desert through perilous adventures (Basic Adventure) with her companions, Simoun the Jinni Rogue (seeking treaure) and Channa-Ti, the half-elf Druid (seeking personal fulfillment and enlightenment). They now arrive in the city of Wati, prepared to enter the ancient tombs beneath the City, each on their goals individually and as a party (Adventure Deck 1).

(Non-roleplaying notes: I really like the layout of this Adventure Deck, there are five scenarios, four of which you can do in any order, before taking on the fifth and final Adventure-ending scenario. I love the thematic feel this gives of wandering around the City, getting in adventures until the party finally decides to enter the tombs beneath the City in the final adventure. I can do them in the order that fits the roleplaying I've been trying to do here.)

Before anyone can enter the tombs, The Pharasmin Lottery (Scenario) is being held to determine which parties will be allowed to enter. But it is all overseen by the Voices of the Spire, a sect of priests devoted to Pharasma, who are very particular about the three Rs, rules, regulations and respect to the gods. Not a problem for the formerly bureaucratic Amhotep, but a real issue for the newcomer to the lands, Channa-Ti.

(Non-Roleplaying notes: No villians in this Scenario, just the priests. You have to close all the locations and there's one fewer location than usual. The flip side is that for every enemy you defeat in a Combat check by 7 or more, you will burn an extra Blessing off the Blessings deck, the timer for the game.)

It didn't take long for Channa-Ti to find trouble, offending a Voices of the Spire immediately. (on her first turn) After a Blessing and a toss of her Chakram took care of him, she used a Flask of Flash Freeze on the Graven Guardian of Nethys (a Construct) who showed up. (And stored the Flask into her Canteen for later use.) That closed the Golden Lake for the day.

From there, it was all Amhotep, cleaning up the mess Channa-Ti started. She ended up dealing with the priest at the Precinct of Lost Eyes using Diplomacy (avoiding the extra Blessings draw in the process). She had to fight the Priest at the Tooth and Hookah, and only buying a Camel from the owner of the establishment would calm him down. (Summon an acquire a random Ally to close Tooth and Hookah). Finally, she cornered the last Priest at the Dye Market and all traces of diplomacy were gone by then as she buried a Flaming Heavy Pick +1 in his skull to end the scenario.

The party stands triumphant:

All in all, that Scenario was pretty easy, maybe the easiest one so far. And the reward was a Card feat (increasing everyone's deck size AKA life points) and a new Trader of Basic boons.

Tonight, I get to do the fun part and do the trading and treasure divvying and level ups (not that there was much treasure, the scenario being over so quickly). Then on to the next Scenario!

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Story so Far:
Plagued by ominous dreams, Amhotep the Human Magus has traveled across the desert through perilous adventures (Basic Adventure) with her companions, Simoun the Jinni Rogue (seeking treaure) and Channa-Ti, the Half-Elf Druid (seeking personal fulfillment and enlightenment). They now arrive in the city of Wati, prepared to enter the ancient tombs beneath the City, each on their goals individually and as a party (Adventure Deck 1).

On their first adventure in the City, they ran afoul of some priests in "The Pharasmin Lottery", the lottery to determine who could enter the recently uncovered Necropolis. Right from the last location of that endeavor, the Dye Market, they started there as they went to explore the Tomb of a well-respected General, whose tomb was treasure-laden but trap-filled. "Ahkentepi's Legacy" is this Scenario.

(Non-Roleplaying notes: Once again, I am impressed with the improvement in thematic implementation of the various scenarios. Living up to its description, there was plenty of things to add boons, but every location also had an extra Trap Barrier and the final Villain itself was not a Monster, but another Barrier, a Trapped Sarcophagus .

I chose to do this Scenario next after the Lottery because these were the two Scenarios that provided a Card and Skill upgrade respectively for the characters that they could use in the last three Scenarios in this Adventure Deck.)

I tried a new tabletop set up for this Scenario of putting the character's hands of cards and decks side by side with the locations instead of underneath the locations. I kept having to lean out over the table to read the location cards and their effects in my previous layout.

Once again, luck was with me, as Simoun ran into the Sand Thief Henchman at the Towering Obelisk and defeated him AND the henchman's henchman, the Agash, to secure (AKA close) that location very early (AKA her first turn).

Ahmotep used her knowledge of spellcraft to become invincible at the Hall of Blessed Rebirth and wasted no time rooting out the Warrior Dolls and sending them on their way.

(Non-roleplaying note: The Hall of Blessed Rebirth changes all damage to characters to be 1 point of Poison damage and Elemental Treaty, a spell cast by Ahmotep, reduces all Poison damage by 1, ergo, no way to get damage!)

Making up for her faux pas with the priests during the Lottery, it was the Druid Channa-Ti, foraging around in the Catacombs, who found the Trapped Sarcophagus of the dead General. Using her affinity for Cold, she used her Flash Freeze potion (AKA add 1d12 versus Constructs AND add Cold trait AND add 1d8 on checks with Cold at the Catacombs AND a Blessing meant 4d8 + 1d12 to get a 9...) Ahmotep held down the fort at the Tarworks (AKA temporarily closed the location) while Simoun did the same at the Dye Market (ditto).

Here is Channa-Ti winning the scenario by blowing open the mummy case! (I don't even have enough d8s to show here!):

Tonight, I get to play PACG with real people again in organized Pathfinder Adventure Card Game play. It will be fun to evolve a character in organized play after so much solo play.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh... they told me "Don't take Flenta for organized play", but I can't help it... I just LOVE the concept of a Fighter who thinks she's really a mage.

And it's not so bad right now. I got through the first two Scenarios of Season 3 last night based on Mummy's Mask. But it REALLY felt weird only having to run one character all night!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Story so Far:
Plagued by ominous dreams, Amhotep (the Human Magus) has traveled across the desert through perilous adventures (Basic Adventure) with her companions, Simoun the Jinni Rogue (seeking treaure) and Channa-Ti, the Half-Elf Druid (seeking personal fulfillment and enlightenment). They now arrive in the city of Wati, prepared to enter the ancient tombs beneath the City, each on their goals individually and as a party (Adventure Deck 1).

On their first adventure in the City, they ran afoul of some priests in "The Pharasmin Lottery", the lottery to determine who could enter the recently uncovered Necropolis. The second adventure, "Ahkentepi's Legacy", they went to explore the Tomb of a well-respected General, whose tomb was treasure-laden but trap-filled. From the tomb of a General to a haunted mansion of a once-rich family of nobles, the team tries to stay "Ahead of the Competition".

As they entered, they ran into a lot of fellow treasure-hunters running in the opposite direction, out of the mansion. Some they convinced to stay with the party, some blew right by without even a backwards look. It soon became apparent why as the place was filled with Beheaded undead monsters chasing out (and sometimes devouring) other adventurers. These undead were being created by a being from outside our plane of existence (an Outsider), called Imanish, who they were going to have to defeat to explore or plunder in peace. But Imanish had not just cut off the heads but transformed some of them into horrifying Blightwings, personal protectors of this beast. ("Ahead of the Competition" - I see what you did there!)

(Non-Roleplaying notes: Great theme again for this Scenario. No real henchmen for the villain in the location decks, just extra Ally cards. If you ran into an Ally, they were immediately followed by a Beheaded henchman monster whether you successfully recruited the Ally or not.)

I am really loving the new tabletop setup I am using of the side by side
variety.

It had seemed to me like maybe Mummy's Mask was a bit too easy so far, but I will admit it took me two tries to beat this Scenario. I also found out during the Pathfinder Adventure Card Games Organized Mummy's Mask Play on Wednesday nights that I had been probably playing a certain rule wrong for I don't know how long that also probably made things easier for me so far than they should have been.

The first time I played this, I lost when I ran out of time. But I still definitely had a chance to pull it out at the last second.

On the final round of turns, one each for Ahmotep, Simoun and Channa-Ti, it went like this:

Ahmotep and Simoun were at one of the two final open locations, Channa-Ti over alone in the other one, the Thornscrub. Ahmotep burned through all her cards exploring and whittling down the Tarworks, and when she got down to her final card, the Ghost Battling Ring, she found the villain. The Ghost Battling Ring would have been great against one of the Beheaded but against Imanish? Not so much. Then she failed a Wisdom check and had to fight Blightwing which she couldn't beat. Channa-Ti had taken a point of Poison damage to temporarily close the Thornscrub, so Imanish went back into the Tarworks location with just ONE OTHER CARD.

On the second to last card in the Blessings deck, Simoun had a 50-50 chance of finding the villain. If she did, she could easily pass the Perception check to avoid the Blightwing and she had plenty of weapons to take down Imanish. Channa-Ti could easily take another point of Poison damage to close down the Thornscrub again. Of course, Simoun draws some Item instead and no one had any more Blessings or ways for her to explore again to get to the Villain.

That left me nothing to do on the final Blessing. It was Channa-Ti's turn and the villain was the last card at another location. She could have gone there and maybe have won the battle, but the villain would just escape to the Thornscrub she would have to vacate. So there was no way to win. Since everyone was still alive (Perma-death is a real thing in PACG so you want to be very careful and these ladies had already had a couple of close calls in this game), so they just basically turn and fled like all the rest of the adventurers they had passed on the way in!

In any case, the party came back later after resting up and rearranging what little loot they had picked up before their strategic retreat. (Non-Roleplaying Note: In another neat bit added to The Mummy's Mask set is that not only don't you get any Scenario rewards if you don't beat the Scenario, you also are not allowed to visit the Traders if you don't win.)

The second time went much better and they cleaned out that mansion and defeated Imanish with Blessings to spare. For that bit of good business, they were rewarded with a Loot card on the second try, the Tablet of Languages Lost, which looks to be a very good item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this, it's very enjoyable.

Can you tell us what rule you had wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
Thanks for this, it's very enjoyable.

Can you tell us what rule you had wrong?

Last time I played PACG heavily was four years ago with Rise of the Runelords. I plead guilty of not totally reading through the new rulebook (except for the new cards) and playing a couple things by misguided memory.

One of those misguided memories was me thinking that once a location deck was out of cards, it closed automatically. I wasn't playing where you still have to fulfill the closing requirements to close an empty location. I discovered I was doing it wrong through my Pathfinder Society Organized Play meetings.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't think I'd be writing about this game again this month.

BUT... I am loving PACG so much right now that I didn't need much excuse to get it out again this month anyway. And I got my excuse during Pathfinder Society Organized Play this past Wednesday. Almost all our OP characters playing the Mummy's Mask Adventure Path are now Tier 2, but since I'm still on Adventure Deck 1 with my solo play, my game box is still set up for Tier 1. So, I decided to "take one for the team" and finish the final two Scenarios in Adventure Deck 1 so I can crack open Deck 2 and set my box up for both my solo play AND Organized Tier 2 play.

I apologize for not having any pictures this time. I got caught up in the scenario and tore it all down for the "share loot" phase before I realized I hadn't taken one.

The Story so Far:
Plagued by ominous dreams, Amhotep (the Human Magus) has traveled across the desert through perilous adventures (Basic Adventure) with her companions, Simoun the Jinni Rogue (seeking treaure) and Channa-Ti, the Half-Elf Druid (seeking personal fulfillment and enlightenment). They now arrive in the city of Wati, prepared to enter the ancient tombs beneath the City, each on their goals individually and as a party (Adventure Deck 1).

On their first adventure in the City, they ran afoul of some priests in "The Pharasmin Lottery", the lottery to determine who could enter the recently uncovered Necropolis. The second adventure, "Ahkentepi's Legacy", they went to explore the Tomb of a well-respected General, whose tomb was treasure-laden but trap-filled. From the tomb of a General to a haunted mansion of a once-rich family of nobles, the team managed to stay "Ahead of the Competition" on their third outing.

The priests of Pharasma, the Voices of the Spire, have been so impressed with Ahmotep's team's respect for their customs (after some dicey early encounters with them), that they have been now hired by the Voices to go out and take care of some "Tomb Raiders Gone Rogue", other "gangs" (AKA rival adventurers) who have not been quite so respectful of the rules, regulations, and customs.

(Non-Roleplaying Notes: Once again, theme shines through in Mummy's Mask in this scenario. No Villain to start the game, just five different henchmen who represent five different rival gangs/adventurers. One of the henchmen turns INTO the Villain once you defeat her gang as a henchman.)

Although the City of Wati has been a tricky, treacherous place so far, with surprises around every corner, the team determined their best strategy would be for Channa-Ti and Simoun to do a lot of scouting and leave the diplomatic, bureaucratic Ahmotep to do the actual apprehension of the gangs so as to make sure the majority of these gang's treasure hauls ended up in the team's hands and not the government's when they were turned over to the authorities.

(Non-Roleplaying Notes: All the henchmen cards (except the one who turns into the villain) had the following condition, if you beat them by 5 or less, you could close the location AND IF you closed it, before you close, take ALL the boons left in that location deck into your hand! With Ahmotep's power of being able to adjust dice rolls by plus or minus 2 AFTER you roll AND the fact she had the ally Mahgus Threefingers with her (who can ALSO adjust up by 3 or down by 2 AFTER the dice roll), meant that Ahmotep was able to nail that "beat by 5 or less" on almost every henchman. By the end of the scenario, Ahmotep had like 30+ cards in her deck that started with 17 cards.)

The plan worked fairly well, Ahmotep was able to defeat four of the five henchmen and the team was collecting a ton of loot in the process. The Daughters of the Desert, and the Cryptfinders were easiest to deal with and yielded much treasure. The Dogsoldiers weren't any tougher but had little treasure.

But there were some problems too. All the scouting was taking a toll. The First Law was enacted. The Sand Scorpions did not want to go as easily as their fellow gangs and poisoned everyone. More traps and ambushes were found and hurt the team. At one point, Channa-Ti was under THREE Curses, the others had two apiece. They had to find the final gang before they had so many curses that it would become impossible. Simoun just gave up on the treasure and knifed the leader of the Sand Scorpions to end that Poison threat.

(Non-Roleplaying Notes: "Examining" cards [peeking at them without encountering them] can have all kinds of side effects in Mummy's Mask that it doesn't in the other PACG base sets. And right now, this team isn't built to deal with a lot of that. Other than Ahmotep's Elemental Treaty spell, the team had few ways to reduce Poison damage, which resulted in five Curse of Poisonings building up on the team. The three characters only have 4 Armors between them.)

Finally, Ahmotep apprehended the Scorched Hand gang and absconded with their treasure haul, but their leader Velriana Hypaxes challenged her to a one on one duel. Unfortunately for Velriana, for a former paper-pusher, Ahmotep still knows how to wield a Flaming Pick +1 when she has to . Somehow, the mortally wounded gang leader escapes, while the team is poring over the haul of goodies, but the Voices of the Spire are quite happy the unruly gangs have been dealt with for now.

(Non-Roleplaying Notes: Another fantastically fun scenario to play, balancing the need to examine and take Curses and damage versus going for the big loot haul. One more Scenario to go to clear Deck 1!)

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I managed to finish off Adventure Deck 1 this weekend so I could break open Adventure Deck 2, "Empty Graves" and set my Mummy's Mask box up for Tier 2 play this week with Pathfinder Society play.

Again, I apologize for not having any pictures. I was very eager to break open Deck 2 and see what was in it and get it all sleeved, so put everything else away very quickly.

The Story so Far:

On their first adventure in the City, they ran afoul of some priests in "The Pharasmin Lottery", the lottery to determine who could enter the recently uncovered Necropolis. The second adventure, "Ahkentepi's Legacy", they went to explore the Tomb of a well-respected General, whose tomb was treasure-laden but trap-filled. From the tomb of a General to a haunted mansion of a once-rich family of nobles, the team managed to stay "Ahead of the Competition" on their third outing. Now, after taking care of a bunch of fellow "Tomb Raiders Gone Rogue", Ahmotep was staring to get antsy.

While Simoun is happy with all the treasure so far, and Channa-Ti with all the knowledge she has gained of this foreign land, Ahmotep knows there is a deeper reason (revealed in her dreams) that more and more undead are pouring forth into the Necropolis. Rumors of a theft of a mysterious object leads the team into an assault on the "Sanctum of the Erudite Eye", where their adventures in the city of Wati will culminate in battles against Forgotten Pharaoh Cultists; Senenmerek, an undead Priest of this altar to the Osirion god Nethys; the man-made, but living Graven Guardian of Nethys and to top it all off, the shambling, undead arch-enemy of Ahmotep, Velriana Unborn, come back to un-life after Ahmotep's mortal blow in their last outing.

Although there was a lot of great teamwork to set her up in the right places at the right times, once again, the star of the show in this scenario was Ahmotep. She cast Elemental Treaty at the Hall of Blessed Rebirth to make Simoun invulnerable (that site changes all damage to 1 Poison damage, Elemental Treaty reduces Poison damage by 1). She used a Blessing of Nethys to dismiss and dismante the Graven Guardian of Nethys without lifting a weapon. She killed the undead priest, Senenmerek and then when facing down against her bitter (now undead) rival, Velriana Uborn, she used the bones of Senenmerek to deflect Velriana's icy blast of Cold breath before putting the fiend down for good this time.

(Non-Roleplaying Notes: That last bit was just another piece of thematic brilliance I've been finding all over the Mummy's Mask set but I'm going to put the details behind a spoiler so people can figure it out on their own, rather than me spilling the trick...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Before you combat Veriana Unborn, you have to succeed at a Wisdom or Survival check of some high number or suffer 1d4 Cold damage. The undead priest, Senenmerek, is immune to the Cold trait. After you defeat him,
you display him by the scenario for a one time bonus use to add 2d12 to a Wisdom roll or a roll to close a location. So, when Velriana tried to unleash her Cold damage, Ahmotep used the bones of Senenmerek (who had had Cold immunity) to roll an extra 2d12 on her Wisdom check, which she easily made before using her usual staff-spell combo to win the Combat check. Just very cool way to tie something thematic (to me anyway)
into a gameplay situation.

)

Now the team can go on to Adventure Deck 2, "Empty Graves"!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone is interested, here are the characters after completing Adventure Deck 1, "The Half-Dead City". This is based on the format used by Paizo on their messageboards for reporting character builds.

Character Name: Ahmotep
Skill Feats: INT +1, CHA +1
Power Feats: On a check ([x] or a check by another character at your location), after the roll, you may discard ([x] or recharge) a card to add or subtract 2 from the result.
Card Feats: Armor +1, Blessing +1
Weapons: Explorer's Staff, Spear of the Watchful Guardian [Loot]
Spells: Elemental Treaty, Fiery Glare, Knock, Viper Strike
Armors: Armor of the Sands, Shield of Fire Resistance
Items: Djinn Favor Amulet, Flame Staff, Staff of Minor Healing
Allies: Kafar, Mahga Threefingers
Blessings: Blessing of Abadar, Blessing of Nethys, Blessing of the Ancients, Blessing of Wadjet

Character Name: Simoun
Skill Feats: DEX +1, INT +1
Power Feats: Proficient with: [x] Light Armors; Add your Perception Skill to your check to defeat a barrier that has the ([x] Obstacle or) Trap trait.
Card Feats: Item +1, Blessing +1
Weapons: Corrosive Dagger +1, Galvanic Chakram +1, Hunga Munga, Kopis x 2
Armors: Scarab Buckler [Loot]
Items: Game of Afterlife [Loot], Ghost Battling Ring, Helpful Haversack, Tablet of Languages Lost [Loot]
Allies: Caravan Guard, Osirion Ancestor, Ubashki
Blessings: Blessing of Horus, Blessing of Ra, Blessing of the Ancients, Blessing of Thoth

Character Name: Channa-Ti
Skill Feats: INT +1, WIS +1
Power Feats: You may discard a card to add 1d8 to your check that invokes the Acid or Cold ([x] or Electricity or Poison) trait.; You may recharge a card that has the Liquid or Magic trait to reduce Acid or Fire ([x] or Poison) damage dealt to you to 0.
Card Feats: Item +1, Blessing +1
Weapons: Frost Sling +1
Spells: Commune, Cure, Holy Light x 2
Armors: Akhentepi's Armor [Loot]
Items: Canteen, Embalming Fluid, Flash Freeze
Allies: Aunty, Fire Gecko, Giant Slug, Stone Weasel
Blessings: Blessing of Horus, Blessing of Pharasma, Blessing of Thoth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Richmond
msg tools
Thanks for posting this! Great data, and good to know which parts you're enjoying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The Story so Far:
Plagued by ominous dreams, Amhotep (the Human Magus) has traveled across the desert through perilous adventures (Basic Adventure) with her companions, Simoun the Jinni Rogue (seeking treaure) and Channa-Ti, the Half-Elf Druid (seeking personal fulfillment and enlightenment). Arriving in the city of Wati, they entered the ancient tombs beneath the City, each on their goals individually and as a party (Adventure Deck 1) to seek treasure and enlightenment.

But something is up and Ahmotep is more on edge now than ever with a significant artifact missing from the tomb of their last adventure. Rumors of the undead arising in greater numbers from their now "Empty Graves" (Adventure Deck 2) can't be dismissed as a nervous populous any longer. As the party finds out when they head to the merchant district's preeminent auction house for "An Evening at the Canny Jackal" (Scenario 1).

There will be many explorers and raiders there trading this evening. As for the party's goals there, Ahmotep is looking for the missing artifact, Simoun is looking to leave with more than she walks in with, and Channa-Ti has the same goals as Simoun, though she tells herself she is just liberating lost knowledge instead of lost treasure. But they have to be careful, The Pillar of Second Thoughts in the Canny Jackal has the severed hands of many past would-be thieves nailed to it as warning.

The evening starts out rowdy enough with many shouted bids, but when the undead come crashing in the doors and the severed hands detach from the Pillar to attack the attendees, it's soon every man and woman for herself! The party has to grab everything they can while dealing with the undead uprising.

(Non-Roleplaying Notes: Can't reiterate enough what a wonderful job of making the scenarios thematic to the stories they have done with the Mummy's Mask set. In this scenario, to win, EACH character has to have 21 cards (they will start with 17 at the beginning of the game) in their decks, hand and discard piles. But NOT buried or banished cards. Beating the villain here doesn't win you the scenario, it just stops her from burying your cards. All her henchmen are the severed Crawling Hands who can cause you to bury cards and EVERY SINGLE MONSTER (non-villain, non-henchman) you encounter is a Natron Zombie whose defeat checks must include Electricity OR guess what? They make you bury cards. So, this whole scenario is to race acquiring cards faster than the zombies and undead cause you to bury them.)

Ironically enough, of all the members of the party collecting loot, the one who had the most trouble was the Rogue, Simoun! She kept running into every manner of Zombie and Crawling Hand and you really can't fight zombies while you're carrying arms full of treasure.

(I'm not sure whether to title this picture "Every Rogue's Worst Nightmare" or "Simoun Testifies at the Taylor Swift Trial"... )

With Simoun constantly trying to keep her treasure hoarding head above water and Amhotep taking on the main villain (I mean, doesn't she always end up doing this?), it was up to the quiet Druid Channa-Ti to save the day by picking up a ton of loot and then passing a piece off to Simoun for the win. (Simoun was very embarrassed by this until she saw how shiny and gold it was!)

Another fun adventure in a set I am enjoy immensely. Dare I say I am enjoying it even more than my adventures in Gloomhaven? Next adventure has undead running riot through the city. Should be another fun one!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.