Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently asked privately if I could recommend a co-op push-your-luck dice chucker. [EDIT: The request also specified non-real-time.] The only game I could think of that really meets that criteria was Cosmic Run (using its co-op mode).

Next closest was Pandemic: The Cure, which has push-your-luck, but I don't consider it a "chucker".

Dungeon Fighter and Space Movers 2201 are both literally co-op dice chuckers, because in both you physically chuck (throw) your dice in a dexterity element. But I'm not sure if either has push-your-luck. And that's not the kind of chucking the asker meant.

There are a bunch of other co-op dice games, but most aren't push-your-luck. There are a bunch of push-your-luck dice games, but most aren't co-op.

Any ideas or recommendations that I might have missed? Push-your-luck seems like a mechanism that would work great for co-ops, so I'm surprised I couldn't think of more examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique G.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Hotshots is advertised as a cooperative push-your-luck dice game.
Coming in May.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you not consider Pandemic: The Cure a dice chucker? Just curious.

Besides that one, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Reiner Knizia are co-op press-your-luck dice games that I enjoy. You don't really need both as they are almost the same game, but Smaug is designed to be played either independently or as a continuation of Unexpected Journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:

For me, "dice chucker" implies either a game where dice are 90% of the action, or where you roll buckets of them. It also has connotations for me of a less-strategic game.

It's a really fuzzy term, and I'm really not sure how I would define it, even after thinking about it some over the last couple days. I certainly wouldn't argue against someone who wanted to call Pandemic Cure a dice chucker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Real-time?

Escape: The Curse of the Temple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also similar to Pandemic the Cure would be Elder Sign. But it's also not a frantic chucking of dozens of dice.

Maybe the best I could think of that you're looking for would be Escape: The Curse of the Temple. If you're okay with chucking dice in real time instead of turn by turn, you get to chuck a LOT of dice, and they control everything you do. Push your luck in locking up your dice and how many crystals you remove in certain chambers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nikolaus
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I'd call it a dice chucker as dice only factor in to a portion of the game but XCOM: The Board Game is co-op and does have a push your luck dice element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd like more detailed information about any of the below games, I would be thrilled to let you know more.

D-Day Dice

Project: ELITE

Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Ghost Stories

Pandemic: The Cure

Elder Sign

Star Trek: Five-Year Mission

FUSE

Semi-Coop:
Dark Moon
(I prefer BSG Express)

// EDITED to remove games that aren't push-your-luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Soleia wrote:

For me, "dice chucker" implies either a game where dice are 90% of the action, or where you roll buckets of them. It also has connotations for me of a less-strategic game.

It's a really fuzzy term, and I'm really not sure how I would define it, even after thinking about it some over the last couple days. I certainly wouldn't argue against someone who wanted to call Pandemic Cure a dice chucker.

+1 for Elder Sign. In Pandemic, you're rolling dice to determine the board state each turn, then attempting to solve the puzzle. The action isn't necessarily in the dice, it's in the decision making, and there isn't much pushing your luck to it. In ES, you pick a challenge that has a decent risk/reward value proposition then roll a handful of dice and hope to succeed. I think that's probably what you're looking for.

Also worth considering might be Run, Fight, or Die! with Run, Fight, or Die! Expansion Pack 3, which adds co-op rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely wouldn't consider Elder Sign push-your-luck, because if you're playing it that way, you will lose. It's much more about resource management, and deciding on the right times to strike. Very good game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Real-time?

Doh! I forgot to mention that the original request specified non-real-time. Otherwise, I would totally agree about Escape (Temple and Zombie City), and FUSE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Emu Prime wrote:
Also worth considering might be Run, Fight, or Die! with Run, Fight, or Die! Expansion Pack 3, which adds co-op rules.

I own and enjoy RFD as a co-op. I don't think of it as being push-your-luck, though.

EDIT: I guess you do have to decide whether to use your 2 rerolls, at the risk of rolling more zombie faces. So yeah, you're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
piman wrote:
peakhope wrote:
Push-your-luck seems like a mechanism that would work great for co-ops, so I'm surprised I couldn't think of more examples.

I'm wondering why you think this. I don't see the connection. Usually my favorite co-op systems have got some kind of delegatable substructure ("I'll worry about this, you go do this") which goes well with puzzle solving, area control, resource management, etc., but not usually PYL.

Many co-ops add mechanisms to avoid alpha players. Some use hidden information and/or limited communication. Some use real-time. Some try to use complexity. I think push-your-luck would reduce alpha tendencies because it brings personal preferences and biases into the mix.

I might think it's obvious that I should push hard right now, and take a chance. But Robin over there, who is more conservative, thinks we should play it safe for now. There is no right or wrong answer, so it's up to each player to decide for themselves.

Push-your-luck (especially with dice) also tends to generate "stand up" moments of excitement. In a co-op, everyone would be excitedly hoping for the same outcome, which is pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Soleia wrote:

Got ya. We all have slightly differing thoughts, I think, on exactly what defines various types of games. I'm a huge fan of push-your-luck and dice chuckers, and for me Pandemic: The Cure feels like both, but I can see where playing it with a larger group (I have only played it solo and two player) it might feel more strategic with talking and moving being about 50% of the game, but as a solo and 2p it just feels like DICE!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
I like Cosmic Run more with the competitive version, the CO-OP is nice though,

Cosmic Run: Rapid Fire is on kickstarter at the moment, although is a competitive game. There's also the ENVOY promo pack for the game as well.

I really like FUSE, great solo and CO-OP game with scaling difficulty levels.

Fuse: Flatline is also coming out in May, a longer version with more options.

- Just realised real-time isn't an option, fair enough, to me it's what makes FUSE interesting, you may like Rapid Fire if it's not just co-op you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.