Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Munger
United States
Harker Heights
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got done with my first game, and while it was fun, I got to wondering, is there any way to counter-play someone who purchases the "High Tech Bubble Burst"? I bought the upgrade and proceeded to play the tech bubble every round for the rest of the game with no one opposing me, because no one wanted to lose 3k and myself get a free point, so instead I got a free 7k each round. This may be groupthink, but how would you reconcile players 'sharing the burden' of keeping me in check, especially if one wasn't cooperative with the idea?

Thankfully, I didn't win, but I bought the upgrade 3-4 rounds after I first could have, and I was a close second.

There is no direct counter-play to the lottery, either, but it has its own inherent risk, so that doesn't bother me. Work upgrades have no downside but are a greater investment for a lesser guaranteed payout. I feel like the bubble upgrade might be too strong because to stop it, one or more other players must flatly worsen their own position(s). Please share with me your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC Dorais
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Hi Alex!

Glad you enjoyed the game!

The high tech bubble burst is indeed a powerful power up. It can definitely help someone win the game, but opting for that power up early leads to having no money as investing in the start up is expensive.

if you or another players plays the launch a start-up card and does not have the necessary amount of money to invest in the card itself, then it doesn't count as a start-up burst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neflight86 wrote:
"High Tech Bubble Burst... no one wanted to lose 3k and myself get a free point, so instead I got a free 7k each round."

Clearly there is no effective counter. It would have been better if the High Tech Burst had been defined as where a Start Up fails in a round where you had no Start Up.

This is also in keeping with the theme that the investor had a hunch not to invest in Start Ups this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.