Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this classic again and have come to realize that the only way to crack a city defense is to bring enough force to bear to attain the +12 vs Town column (after subtracting the defender's strength, of course) and roll a '1' to get a D3 result, which then converts to a D1 result due to the city defense Exclusive Rule [11.1].

Thus every city defense will be a roll-a-thon with the attacker hoping a '1' is rolled eventually and the defenders of Arnhem, Nimegen (and even Eindhoven if the allied player is so foolish as to let that ridiculously way-too-fast German 2-2-12 Garrison that starts in Best get there) hold on waiting for the magic roll.

Seems a bit boring to me rolling each turn to see if a '1' is rolled.

Am I assessing this correctly, or am I missing something in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing [11.2] Negation of Special Combat Effects, the very next paragraph.

Once you fully surround a city it loses the special combat effects.

I read your post and started thinking of how many times I've played Arnhem and didn't remember this ever being an issue so I pulled out the rules.

City or town, [11.2] fixes the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless your a Parachute unit

Forget the sentence, but its there, probably in 11.2 ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always the same: the answer is hiding in plain sight. shake Need to practice my reading skills more and actually read them instead of skimming for key words...

Thank you both for the help! This will definitely make a big difference in how I've been playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Robinson
msg tools
Although a little late to the party, you are also forgetting rule 7.11.

The poor little Brit in Arnhem is forced to attack the Germans according to that rule. Now you need a 6 to eliminate him - so there are two chances per turn to get rid of Frost's men.

There are some 'annoying' rules in this game, and that is one of them.

Cheers

Glenn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.