1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Star Wars Imperial Assault or Star Wars Rebellion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Farkas
Canada
flag msg tools
Arggggh! I'm torn. My next big game purchase will be one of the two. They're both excellent games so I won't discuss the differences in game play because both are appealing to me. I'll just discuss the appeal of the game above the gameplay itself.

The pros for IA are the mini-figures, 2 game modes and multiple expansions to expand with. The con is the very same reason: the expansions. If I want to get the full experience of the core set I'm looking at 7 ally and villain packs to replace their tokens and get additional content for the 2 game modes. That doubles the cost of the game and for that price I can buy the core set for IA and a copy of Rebellion.

The pros for Rebellion are the grand scope of the game and expansions aren't required for the full experience, in fact there aren't any at this time. It just looks so cool and it comes complete in the box. The cons are the time to play a game and the lack of variety in game modes that IA has. Now I'm not saying it needs more game modes, I'm just comparing it to IA.

I'm truly torn. I know at one point I'll own both. And I'm totally prepared to take the plunge right now and pick up the 7 character packs for IA at the same time as the starter. And to be honest, if IA didn't have the ally and villain packs separate to get the full experience of the core set I wouldn't be in this dilemma. I would get IA first. But, the cost of the experience between both is very apparent when you want the full experience of the titles, specifically IA.

What are your thoughts? Do I really need the ally and villain packs for IA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a bunch of IA and have played and plan on purchasing Star Wars rebellion soon. You do not need any ally packs to enjoy the campaign game. You could probably go through 2 or 3 campaigns before you need new agenda cards or side missions, which is mostly what those extra packs bring to the campaign, other then the minis themselves. The core box comes with tokens for those expansion packs anyway. So do you want a dungeon crawl campaign game? Or epic 2-4 player game with 3-4 play sessions where the game resets every time? That's what I would use to decide what to buy first. Another thing is that with IA, you could also goof of with skirmish a little bit with the core box, and that is what you mostly need the expansions for if you want to be competitive at tournaments right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say doing the campaign that missions aren't near as quick as you think. It vastly depends on the player count and how much the Rebel side wants to plan everything out. I have had a number of missions go 4 hours. Skirmish is rather straightforward on the other hand and can be gone through in quick order. As you add more and more content for skirmish, setting up and choosing things will start to slow things down. From a pure experience aspect, I like IA a lot better, but I concede the cost issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
frkm0005 wrote:
Do I really need the ally and villain packs for IA?

No. There are 30+ missions in the core and you play 11-14 in one campaign (generally 11 or 12), 1-3 hours each.

Who will you be playing with? Rebellion is practically a 2-player game. Imperial Assault is both 2-player skirmish and 2-5-player campaign game.

Rebellion is living again the SW moments, Imperial Assault is making your own moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i've played both, and i think that your group would be able to dictate your direction.

While Rebellion can be played with more than 2 players, it's really designed as a 2 player game. It's very long and requires a commitment for both players to be ready to learn the game. If you feel you have a second player who's going to be as into it as you are and you'll get it to the table throughout the year to warrant the price than it's still worth considering.

Imperial Assault, i would ask the same question(s) as the above, if you have multiple people ready to play through a campaign and the idea of skirmish style of gameplay, dice chucking, character movement etc excites you then maybe this is your game.

if i were choosing, i would go with imperial assault between the two, as i think i would get imperial assault to the table more often.

lastly, i do not think u need any of the expansions to get a lot of gameplay out of imperial assault.

regardless, they are indeed both great games and you likely won't be disappointed with either choice.
- James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
I have not played either but the boardgame reviewers "Shut Up And Sit Down", convinced me in their reviews of both games that Imperial Assault would definitely be my choice.

Watch the final five minutes of their youtube video review of Star Wars: Rebellion (that would @ the 13:00 miinute mark) when they present their list of criticisms of Star Wars: Rebellion. It makes terrible and logical sense.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it really comes down to player count. If you play a lot with 2, Rebellion. More? Get Assault. Solo? There's an app coming for Assault...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kongzilla wrote:
I have not played either but the boardgame reviewers "Shut Up And Sit Down", convinced me in their reviews of both games that Imperial Assault would definitely be my choice.

Watch the final five minutes of their youtube video review of Star Wars: Rebellion (that would @ the 13:00 miinute mark) when they present their list of criticisms of Star Wars: Rebellion. It makes terrible and logical sense.

Just my .02 cents worth.

So you haven't played them, but are offering 2nd hand advice from other reviewers?

That seems not useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two very different games with very different feels. I enjoy them both, but asides from the shared IP, they are worlds apart.

One is a 2 player grand strategy game of asymmetric warfare.

The other is a traditional DM vs Players dungeon crawler, only with blasters instead of spells.

As others have said, player count is a huge factor as rebellion really works best with 2. Whereas Imperial Assault works best with 5. I'd use that main point if I was buying them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Assault reached a standstill for my group because the choices we made in equipment and abilities lead to the rebels being unstoppable. It wasn't fun for anyone involved. But even reaching that point was pretty uninteresting because by design Imperial Assault forces the rebels to play hazardously aggressive, often ignoring enemies completely to rush past waves of spongey badguys who can at best wear the heroes down. It didn't feel thematic at all.

Rebellion on the other hand generates exciting experiences every time we play it. Combat is frustrating but thankfully rare. Majority of your time is spent one-upping each other and the end result is a new story even if you see the same cards coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebellion was my game of the year...it's that good. I agree that it's primarily a two player game and it takes some time to play, but it's worth it. It's been a long time since I could recall playing a game that was as tense as this one, with as many decisions to make, while looking so good and immersing the players in the theme so deeply. My main gaming buddy and I just finished our fourth straight game of Rebellion - I can't remember the last time we ever played the same game four times in a row.

Bottom line - if you are looking for a two player game and you are a fan of the Star Wars franchise, Rebellion is a must buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaybeethree wrote:
Imperial Assault reached a standstill for my group because the choices we made in equipment and abilities lead to the rebels being unstoppable. It wasn't fun for anyone involved. But even reaching that point was pretty uninteresting because by design Imperial Assault forces the rebels to play hazardously aggressive, often ignoring enemies completely to rush past waves of spongey badguys who can at best wear the heroes down. It didn't feel thematic at all

Star Wars isn't a defeat all. Pretty much they are trying to get between points A and B asap. Wearing them down and thus preventing the Rebels from using their endurance is a solid idea. Also, the ability of both sides will play a factor in how well one side might steam roll over the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
Ithkrall wrote:
kongzilla wrote:

Just my .02 cents worth.

So you haven't played them, but are offering 2nd hand advice from other reviewers?

That seems not useful.

Well, he criticized the combat mechanics of the game and even gave a short demonstration.

Additionally, the reviewer played Rebellion seven times and said there is no real true storytelling elements to the game. Movie characters come and go and come and go again without making any real story contribution or explanations of what happened to them. Also, he noted with just one single playthrough, gamers have already seen 95% of all its content meaning every subsequent games one plays... 95% of that content is simply reshuffled and replayed over again in another order. So that fact alone mars its replay value, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Rebellion is self-contained in one box, whereas Star Wars: Imperial Assault is screaming at you to buy additional content to buy outside of the base game. It is not necessary, but using Han Solo and Chewie as tokens? No you want the minis of course! Guess what? You have to buy them separately for $10 MSRP each, yes each... Just look at the number of expansions on BGG for IA, and you will see what I mean. If cash is a major concern, you will want to keep that in mind as well before you get IA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I have both and I'll say IA sits around collecting dust and Rebellion still gets played. IA suffers from the similar problem I have with dungeon crawlers in general: they try to be a middle way between board games and role-playing games and they end up server neither well.

Rebellion isn't perfect. First, ignore the 2-4 player designation, it's really a 2-player game. Also, while the battle system is great for those critical battles for high stakes, those little skirmishes can be dull bookkeeping exercises. My highest criticism however is that the build phase which can really bring the game tempo to a screeching halt. It would be nice to have an app to assist in keeping track to speed up the process.

Also bear in mind that it is "sandbox". The story it weaves could be anything and usually something very different from the story arc of the movies. It doesn't bother me at all, but for some it can be a dealbreaker when it is possible that Yavin is completely ignored the whole game.

But the asymetic powers are a great design and it really evokes the sense of a mighty empire vs. "a pitiful little band". So, Rebellion hands down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
jaybeethree wrote:
Imperial Assault reached a standstill for my group because the choices we made in equipment and abilities lead to the rebels being unstoppable. It wasn't fun for anyone involved. But even reaching that point was pretty uninteresting because by design Imperial Assault forces the rebels to play hazardously aggressive, often ignoring enemies completely to rush past waves of spongey badguys who can at best wear the heroes down. It didn't feel thematic at all

Star Wars isn't a defeat all. Pretty much they are trying to get between points A and B asap. Wearing them down and thus preventing the Rebels from using their endurance is a solid idea. Also, the ability of both sides will play a factor in how well one side might steam roll over the other.

It's not what I want out of a tactical miniatures game. The few defense missions I greatly enjoyed but largely it's the rebels on the assault and then it becomes a game of managing your health and fatigue which is sorely uninteresting.

kongzilla wrote:
Ithkrall wrote:
kongzilla wrote:

Just my .02 cents worth.

That seems not useful.

Well, he criticized the combat mechanics of the game and even gave a short demonstration.

Additionally, the reviewer played Rebellion seven times and said there is no real true storytelling elements to the game. Movie characters come and go and come and go again without making any real story contribution or explanations of what happened to them. Also, he noted with just one single playthrough, gamers have already seen 95% of all its content meaning every subsequent games one plays... 95% of that content is simply reshuffled and replayed over again in another order. So that fact alone mars its replay value, IMHO.

You can make the same argument for chess always having the same opening moves. I would argue there's far more replay value in Rebellion because it is not tied to a written narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
jaybeethree wrote:
You can make the same argument for chess always having the same opening moves. I would argue there's far more replay value in Rebellion because it is not tied to a written narrative.

Sure, Chess has very little narrative, so Rebellion should have an edge there. whistle

In Imperial Assault a little less than half of the campaign consists of side missions which are not tied to the campaign narrative. (There are 30 missions in the core box, and you only play 11 per campaign. There are two alternatives for each story mission slot.) The narrative is very light, so you can easily make up your own. There are also fan-made campaigns, so you don't need to spend money to get a new campaign.

In the same way, in Rebellion you make up the narrative yourself.

Anyway, two different games for two different uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How often will you be playing each? Will one game get to the table more often than the other? Is the frequency in which you play a deciding factor for you?

If it is, then IA might be a better choice as a shorter game would, in theory, get to the table more often. However that's not as important, then it might not matter as much that Rebellion doesn't have as much variety. If you're only playing it every so often that won't be a factor the same way a game you play every weekend might be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kongzilla wrote:
Ithkrall wrote:
kongzilla wrote:

Just my .02 cents worth.

That seems not useful.

Well, IMHO, that reviewer is, quite simply, wrong. When playing Rebellion, my gaming buddy Dan and I felt as though we were rewriting the Star Wars story. We created moments we will remember for the rest of our lives, such as in our most recent game, where I as the leader of the Rebel Alliance, was able to lure the Empire into a battle in order to take a shot at destroying the Death Star. Dan fell right into my trap and with my surviving Y-Wing, I was able to pull it off, which paved the way for an eventual Rebel victory. We still talk about that battle. I will also note that our four games played so far have all played out differently and, given that in any single game, it is unlikely that either same mission or objective cards are likely to come out (or drawn in the same order), or the same new leaders are likely to come out in the same order, the replayability of the game appears quite high.

Amazing how two people can look at the same object and see entirely different things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
jaybeethree wrote:

Sure, Chess has very little narrative, so Rebellion should have an edge there. whistle

In Imperial Assault a little less than half of the campaign consists of side missions which are not tied to the campaign narrative. (There are 30 missions in the core box, and you only play 11 per campaign. There are two alternatives for each story mission slot.) The narrative is very light, so you can easily make up your own. There are also fan-made campaigns, so you don't need to spend money to get a new campaign.

In the same way, in Rebellion you make up the narrative yourself.

Anyway, two different games for two different uses.

The point I'm trying to make is that Rebellion doesn't lack replay value because you play with all components, and that being limited in scale makes it more replayable as the direction of the game changes through the player's actions, not arbitration. There is no moment in Rebellion where the rules say "STOP: alarms blare and the doors seal shut. Put a big friggin gun in the hallway."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham

California
msg tools
desertfox2004 wrote:
kongzilla wrote:
Ithkrall wrote:
kongzilla wrote:

Just my .02 cents worth.

That seems not useful.

Well, IMHO, that reviewer is, quite simply, wrong. When playing Rebellion, my gaming buddy Dan and I felt as though we were rewriting the Star Wars story. We created moments we will remember for the rest of our lives, such as in our most recent game, where I as the leader of the Rebel Alliance, was able to lure the Empire into a battle in order to take a shot at destroying the Death Star. Dan fell right into my trap and with my surviving Y-Wing, I was able to pull it off, which paved the way for an eventual Rebel victory. We still talk about that battle. I will also note that our four games played so far have all played out differently and, given that in any single game, it is unlikely that ether same mission or objective cards are likely to come out, or the same new leaders are likely to come out in the same order, the replayability of the game appears quite high.

Amazing how two people can look at the same object see entirely different things!

Here is the link to that video review:

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/review-star-wars-reb...

@ 13:00 minute mark.

To me, this game is quite monetary investment to me... I am sure this game can produce a memorable game. But once that's done can it still reproducing those experiences. The reviewer even states it fun but does it have legs which matters most to me or am I investing around $100 for a game I will shelve in a month or two. Also the set-up time also plays a crucial role too. Would my friends and I look at this game a few months down the line and react... "YES?!....•both recall the set-up time• ... naaaahhhhh".

But please watch video is my recommendation to the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deano License
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Whilst I enjoy Shut up and Sit Down, I think they're quite wrong here. Really, Rebellion isn't about telling the story. Sure it has the strong Star Wars theme and has events dealing with pretty much all of the film, but it's really a strong game as a strategy game. You could remove the theming and it will still be a fun experience.

So for whether you can replay it -- I would say definitely, if you enjoy this kind of game. It's very similar to War of the Rings in that way, except it's less scripted. The Empire has multiple ways to play the game which are all valid. Do they spread out to just find the base? Do they go after the planets that can produce the big ships to try and cripple the rebels? Do they focus on taking over planets, or just undo-ing the alliances the Rebels are making? Do they go tyrannical knowing the rebels might then be able to use that against them? It's all quite rich in options. Similarly, for the rebels, there are lots of ways to play and each can win. After multiple games, you start figuring out ways to counter each other's strategies which makes the game more interesting.

It's not perfect. I would love an expansion which adds in the neutral third parties (criminals like Jabba) and allows the Empire to try and block events like finding Yoda. Mainly so this can add more choices. But it's a good, solid two player strategy game which happens to have a Star Wars theme. Not particularly light, but not hard to learn in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham
United States
California
flag msg tools
Strategy is a sound summation of the game.

As far as having a strong developing story arc or providing character development (missions are as close as the game is going to get to either but are ultimately decided by the dice). Rebellion offers none of that.

Like SHSD stated, the story is simply reshuffled, again and again, and redrawn in another.

The combat is quite shabby too like it was simply just tossed in as an afterthought (I have been watching playthroughs).

It is a strategy game without a strong narrative provided by story-driven scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Brown
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
As far as Star Wars rebellion is concerned.....it feels like an experience to me, rather than simply playing a game. I feel like I am in the story and I am engaged the entire time I play. It is so much fun that it doesn't really matter to me if I win or lose......participating is the win for me. I really can't say this about any other game I have played. This game is so good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cunningham
United States
California
flag msg tools
Deanolium wrote:
Whilst I enjoy Shut up and Sit Down, I think they're quite wrong here. Really, Rebellion isn't about telling the story. Sure it has the strong Star Wars theme and has events dealing with pretty much all of the film, but it's really a strong game as a strategy game. You could remove the theming and it will still be a fun experience.

So for whether you can replay it -- I would say definitely, if you enjoy this kind of game. It's very similar to War of the Rings in that way, except it's less scripted. The Empire has multiple ways to play the game which are all valid. Do they spread out to just find the base? Do they go after the planets that can produce the big ships to try and cripple the rebels? Do they focus on taking over planets, or just undo-ing the alliances the Rebels are making? Do they go tyrannical knowing the rebels might then be able to use that against them? It's all quite rich in options. Similarly, for the rebels, there are lots of ways to play and each can win. After multiple games, you start figuring out ways to counter each other's strategies which makes the game more interesting.

It's not perfect. I would love an expansion which adds in the neutral third parties (criminals like Jabba) and allows the Empire to try and block events like finding Yoda. Mainly so this can add more choices. But it's a good, solid two player strategy game which happens to have a Star Wars theme. Not particularly light, but not hard to learn in any way.

I am beginning to feel I may have spoken prematurely, the game is quite open to strategic options but in a limited redundant gamestyle - missions, unit movement, objectives, projects, etc.

Could this turn based tit-for-tat hold-up through multiple playthroughs without the benefit of any rich storytelling texture or stat leveling/building/customization or outside variables (such as acts of God, good luck/hardluck, traitors, cowards, spies)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.