Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Grimslingers» Forums » General

Subject: Theme & Art Work Instantly Had Me Hooked! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Gough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it seems that I have just done pretty much what most do with this game!

I was browsing around Kickstarter and I saw the new game, and was instantly drawn in by the theme and artwork. I quickly realised it was a new game in a series - so I went straight to my retailer of choice and snapped up the original - at £25, which is not really cheap for a small(ish) card game!

This is really unusual for me - I generally spend at least a half hour looking at YouTube reviews or reading comments here on BGG ... but not with Grimslingers!

I'll be playing the solo campaign first, and then some one on one in a few weeks when I go to visit a gamer friend.

So, what's the consensus? Did I do the right thing?
Even after seeing some comments about sticky cards and misprints ... and rulebook snafu's, I'm still really excited to get this one started!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greasykid1 wrote:
So, it seems that I have just done pretty much what most do with this game!

I was browsing around Kickstarter and I saw the new game, and was instantly drawn in by the theme and artwork. I quickly realised it was a new game in a series - so I went straight to my retailer of choice and snapped up the original - at £25, which is not really cheap for a small(ish) card game!

This is really unusual for me - I generally spend at least a half hour looking at YouTube reviews or reading comments here on BGG ... but not with Grimslingers!

I'll be playing the solo campaign first, and then some one on one in a few weeks when I go to visit a gamer friend.

So, what's the consensus? Did I do the right thing?
Even after seeing some comments about sticky cards and misprints ... and rulebook snafu's, I'm still really excited to get this one started!


Well, I think you did

The stickiness of the cards goes away after you handle them a few times. And the misprints weren't actually misprints (and that was related to the mini-game, not the core game).

Have fun! You're about to go on a wild adventure

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You did the right thing. The 3rd Edition rules are compatible with the 1st and even still the first game holds up really well. Despite the theme it reminds me of my favourite JRPG Final Fantasy 7. The way you move around the map, have encounters and fight enemies is really cool. We can get our time in until the new edition is out.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
greasykid1 wrote:
So, it seems that I have just done pretty much what most do with this game!

I was browsing around Kickstarter and I saw the new game, and was instantly drawn in by the theme and artwork. I quickly realised it was a new game in a series - so I went straight to my retailer of choice and snapped up the original - at £25, which is not really cheap for a small(ish) card game!

This is really unusual for me - I generally spend at least a half hour looking at YouTube reviews or reading comments here on BGG ... but not with Grimslingers!

I'll be playing the solo campaign first, and then some one on one in a few weeks when I go to visit a gamer friend.

So, what's the consensus? Did I do the right thing?
Even after seeing some comments about sticky cards and misprints ... and rulebook snafu's, I'm still really excited to get this one started!


Well, I think you did

The stickiness of the cards goes away after you handle them a few times. And the misprints weren't actually misprints (and that was related to the mini-game, not the core game).

Have fun! You're about to go on a wild adventure



Thanks!

I'm very much looking forward to playing. Just now got my notification that my copy has been dispatched! So I'll have it in my grubby little hands tomorrow
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate H
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I did exactly the same thing, though I first saw it on a website (Gameosity?) not Kickstarter. My set arrived yesterday and I'm very excited to start playing the solo campaign this weekend.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rivercat0338 wrote:
I did exactly the same thing, though I first saw it on a website (Gameosity?) not Kickstarter. My set arrived yesterday and I'm very excited to start playing the solo campaign this weekend.


Let us know what you think
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gough
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing the Duels set this morning, getting well accustomed to the gameplay before diving into the story mode.

Have to say, for such a simple mechanic, the depth of strategy is really great. Theme just oozes from every card.

I've been playing as Larry The Llama from the Duels deck ... and while the characters themselves don't change the game play, they really do add to the sense of playing your own unique game.

I have added in archetypes and special spells to the Duels as well, after watching Stephen's YouTube tutorials. They add yet more depth.

I hope to get a campaign started tonight. I'm just waiting for some card sleevs to be delivered. The Grimslingers core game is way too pretty to use without sleeves!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
greasykid1 wrote:
I've been playing the Duels set this morning, getting well accustomed to the gameplay before diving into the story mode.

Have to say, for such a simple mechanic, the depth of strategy is really great. Theme just oozes from every card.

I've been playing as Larry The Llama from the Duels deck ... and while the characters themselves don't change the game play, they really do add to the sense of playing your own unique game.

I have added in archetypes and special spells to the Duels as well, after watching Stephen's YouTube tutorials. They add yet more depth.

I hope to get a campaign started tonight. I'm just waiting for some card sleevs to be delivered. The Grimslingers core game is way too pretty to use without sleeves!!


Glad you're having fun! Looking forward to hearing how the campaign goes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.