Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Video Advertisments Not Welcome rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Was really unhappy to open up BGG to be welcomed by a trailer for some movie that I had to mute. Having to deal with such ads on other sites makes me far less likely to open that site. They are a pest. I know im probably screaming at the wind and this is they price of progress, or growth, but it really is not appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK BGG tries not to have that kind of intrusive ad; you should report it to chaddyboy_2000 (the admin for advertisements: Admins).

EDITED TO ADD: I thought OP was talking about an advertisement, not some new BGG video tradeshow thing which is apparently what's being talked about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's this board game TV GAMA Trade show video thing on the front page, that auto-plays every time I go back to the home page. How do I turn it off from auto-playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
For me it's this board game TV GAMA Trade show video thing on the front page, that auto-plays every time I go back to the home page. How do I turn it off from auto-playing?

Yes! Please!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think BGG considers it to be an advertisement. Autoplaying video is a nasty attack on users. Having it on the BGG front page breaks the site.

Edit: I resolved it on my PC by disabling Flash as an Internet Explorer add-on. I don't think there's anything I actually need Flash for. Hoping it is as straightforward to kill it on my other devices. Or better yet that BGG has the sense to stop implementing this poor practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryan wills
United States
Wonder Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea,

This has to be fixed!thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ConG wrote:
I don't think BGG considers it to be an advertisement. Autoplaying video is a nasty attack on users. Having it on the BGG front page breaks the site.

While autoplaying pisses me off, I'm a lot less pissed off if said autoplaying video defaults to being muted.

The BGG video does not auto mute. Hell, it doesn't even remember that I muted it previously. This is a distinctly unfriendly and deliberate move on the part of boardgamegeek. There is no way any competent web person didn't think about this and then deliberately choose this option. Any idea how long this bullshit goes on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely annoying. I could've sworn there was an option to keep that turned off last time they did one (might have been a different event, same concept). I'm hoping they fix that this time too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mbmbmb
[Edit Front Page]

remove "Boardgamegeek TV" module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
[Edit Front Page]

Found it, thanks!!

My Geek -> Account -> Customize Front Page - > Hit the red X beside the TV module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
Try to be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
mbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
[Edit Front Page]

Found it, thanks!!

My Geek -> Account -> Customize Front Page - > Hit the red X beside the TV module.

[Edit Front Page] is also on the banner of the "Announcements" module which (I think) is stickied as the top left module on all of our pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
ibarker3 wrote:
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
[Edit Front Page]

Found it, thanks!!

[Edit Front Page] is also on the banner of the "Announcements" module which (I think) is stickied as the top left module on all of our pages.

That Announcements module is another thing I'd remove from my front page if only it were possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibarker3 wrote:
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
[Edit Front Page]

Found it, thanks!!

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the tip on how to remove that particular module. I don't have a problem with having the video feed available on the front page, so long as I am the one choosing whether or not to play it. What I strongly object to (and have done so in a couple of other threads also discussing this issue) is the auto-play of that video, which includes commercials. I absolutely loathe auto-play on websites, especially when they play with full audio. It is a way to back-door commercials (via the Twitch feed) that otherwise would be blocked with our ad-block subscriptions. And it is just obnoxious overall.

Admins, please disable the auto-play "feature." Please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's this front page people are talking about? whistle

(All I need is subscriptions.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MA Wolfe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both times I've been to the splash page, Twitch had some Sour Patch commercials playing...

...and they both start out with fog horns blaring...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:

Don't count on them listening. There's no way it's an oversight. And there's no way they didn't know it will piss people off. They deliberately chose to do it anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
keethrax wrote:
mrblueesq wrote:

Don't count on them listening. There's no way it's an oversight. And there's no way they didn't know it will piss people off. They deliberately chose to do it anyhow.

Given that your choice to remove the module from the front page will be reset at some point in the year (coming up to Essen, I think), yes, very deliberate. Very shitty.

Element hiding tools are your friend, until they rename the element (again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
MilesF wrote:
Definitely annoying. I could've sworn there was an option to keep that turned off last time they did one (might have been a different event, same concept). I'm hoping they fix that this time too.

There was. It is periodically reset. Yes, BGG changes your user preferences without your knowledge or permission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
What's this front page people are talking about? whistle

(All I need is subscriptions.)

Have you done something with your hair Clyde, you look different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
MilesF wrote:

There was. It is periodically reset. Yes, BGG changes your user preferences without your knowledge or permission.

Was it reset for some of you recently? I haven't had this video/film thing on my front page for a long time, and it continues to not be there, i.e. it was not recently re-enabled, at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Element hiding tools are your friend...

This. And not having Flash installed at all, helps immensely, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
JasonJ0 wrote:
MilesF wrote:

Was it reset for some of you recently? I haven't had this video/film thing on my front page for a long time, and it continues to not be there, i.e. it was not recently re-enabled, at least for me.

Same here; it's been at least 2-3 years since the last time I had to set mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barille
msg tools
Yeah I didn't do anything different. Just opened up the page and there was a video for some movie, like a youtube ad. Next few times it was video from some con or something. Today its stayed off. Hope it was a fluke, cause it was really not pleasant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falccor77 wrote:
Yeah I didn't do anything different. Just opened up the page and there was a video for some movie, like a youtube ad. Next few times it was video from some con or something. Today its stayed off. Hope it was a fluke, cause it was really not pleasant.

My fingers are crossed that the Admins disabled the auto-play function today. So far, my computer has not been auto-playing the video feed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.