Hide
4 Posts

Dragoon: The Rogue and Barbarian Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: All about the Rogue and Barbarian rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Given
msg tools
First off, the overview of this expansion is that it adds two new playable characters to the core game of Dragoon, a 2-4 player game where you all play as dragons. The two new characters, the Rogue and Barbarian, offer asymmetric players that can increase total player count to six, but also provides new combinations of players for 2-4 players, including Rogue VS Barbarian with no dragons at all!

When playing against the Rogue and Barbarian, Dragons will find that they need to plan and respond differently to the board state than when playing against only dragons.

The Barbarian!
The Barbarian levels up and down throughout play, from level 1 to level 5, giving them access to more powerful cards in their Barbarian deck. The Barbarian also has a ship instead of cave that they can ride around the edge of the map. The Barbarian gains one level for every gold s/he earns during tribute. The Barbarian can also 'buy' levels by spending 1 gold when standing on a population tile they have claimed. This is called recruiting. There are cards that also increase and decrease levels, so the Barbarian needs to plan their card combinations and levels to achieve maximum efficiency.

The Rogue!
The Rogue has the most responsibility for player decisions and outcomes. Rather than drawing from a deck of cards, the Rogue chooses to equip 1 of 6 pieces of equipment at the start of every turn, with a max of 4 pieces equipped at any given time. Each piece of equipment either adds new abilities or modifies existing abilities. The Rogue also digs tunnels that serve as their unique way of claiming, enhance movement (teleporting between any two tunnels on the map), but are also the Rogues main point of weakness. All other players can destroy their tunnels, earning the destroyer a choice: Steal 1 gold from the Rogue, or discard and draw a card for free. Naturally stealing a gold is a great move, but when playing with several players, leaving the Rogue's score where it is and trading cards to go after the player in first may be your better move. This means the Rogue needs to plan carefully and weigh the pros and cons of tunnel placements.

With the first expansion to Dragoon, we really wanted to enhance the game play and let more players get in on Dragoon on game night. For the mixed experience crowds, the game veterans may lean towards the Rogue or Barbarian in order to enjoy more layered decision making, while providing newcomers the opportunity to increase their skills without being intimidated by a thick rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Zach,

I know you guys put a lot of effort into creating and playtesting this new expansion. I was keen to try out the PnP version when you shared it with the backers of the base game. I'm curious now how much has the game evolved since that time. I noticed in a review video that the Barbarian has a shiny new ship that also seems to work a bit differently.

Can you share some thoughts about the development of the expansion and what kind of improvements did you make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Given
msg tools
Hi Nandor of, first thanks so much for checking out the pnp while it was in development! It's definitely seen some fine tuning since then, though I think I know the video you mean and they may have misinterpreted the instructions regarding the ship (it happens, early drafts of instructions help find areas we should clarify!)

Most of the changes have been about balancing and streamlining the mechanics. The best example is the rogues tunnels, which provably so the most iterations during playtesting. Since they serve so many functions (mobility, claiming, and also the rogue's vulnerability) it meant that each minor change had the potential to (and often did!) cause a larger impact in another area. There was also a point where destroying a tunnel resulted in a die roll to determine the outcome, but we decided to make it a deliberate choice instead, giving more control to the players while speeding up play.

Definitely happy to answer any other questions, and thank you again, it means a lot to us to see so much enthusiasm for the expansion!

- Jake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jake,

thank you for your kind response.
Always glad to see how much you care about your games.

Rogue is my favorite one but I found it very hard to win with him.
I hope he became a little bit stronger with the balance changes. devil

I wish you the best for the last hours of the Kickstarter campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.