Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering an octagonal poker table as my main game table for the game cave. My theory is this will be a good shape for seating up to 8 people, while making it so no one has to reach very far to reach the board, as with a rectangular table. Thoughts?
Ones I am looking at are about 48" with roughly 44" of playable surface space in all directions. For comparison, my biggest game boards are railways of the world at 36"x30" and ticket to ride anniversary at 38"x25.5".

This is just an example: http://m.sears.com/rush-creek-octagon-poker-table/p-00688660...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played on circular tables before and they work pretty well. I'd imagine an octagonal table would be similar. It's nice that the center is equally close to all players.

I definitely wouldn't go much larger than a 48" radius from edge to edge. My main table is 48" wide and that seems to be about the maximum comfortable reaching distance for most people. When I play on larger tables, I sometimes feel like I need to stand up out of my chair a bit to reach the far side of the board and I see other people doing the same.

I think I slightly prefer rectangular tables though, because the circular ones end up with awkward spaces that can be hard to fit everything into when you're playing a large-ish game with a central board and player boards (eg, Concordia, Viticulture, Orleans, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For many of the games I played, an octagonal table just does not work well. In particular, it's often difficult to fit player boards and the main board. Rectangular tables are much better suited for these style games since the player boards just go beside the main board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oval poker table much more effective than octagonal. And at a $700 price point, you can get a very nice oval table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main game table is the same size you are considering. I love it.

Here is a pic:

I like the large size and that everyone is equidistant to the board. Some cons are if you try to seat 6 it gets a little crowded (but I think practically any table would be the same) and it's not ideal for 2 player games.

I bought a large 5mm thick neoprene mat as a play surface & cut it to size. For chairs I found a local company that was going out of business and bought a set of their conference room chairs (very comfortable, tilt, swivel, etc.)

I also have a 3'x5'rectangular as a second table as well.

Edit to add the top of the table is reversible (and incredibly heavy). One side has a leather surface, chip wells, drink holders, etc. The reverse is a flat, wood dining surface, which is the side I use for the neoprene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wardzala

Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a 48" octagonal poker table and for 4 players/small to medium sized games it works ok. For more players or larger games it is crowded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.