Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KiryuEX
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Now that the pledge manager is closing on March 23, I have no way of buying any expansions before it closes. All I could afford during the kickstarter campaign was the Gold Lantern pledge (updated core game and gambler's chest). I'm a perfectionist collector with OCD. I HAVE to have ALL the playable content for KDM. No exceptions. But after speaking with Adam Poots himself, he made it clear that there would be no exceptions, not for anyone. Even though in his latest update he said "We will of course, always do everything we can to accommodate people with special circumstances". I don't know what to do. If I can't have a complete collection, then I'm not sure I even want the core game.

All I can say to Adam at this point is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Silveira
Brazil
Ribeirão Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KiryuEX wrote:
Now that the pledge manager is closing on March 23, I have no way of buying any expansions before it closes. All I could afford during the kickstarter campaign was the Gold Lantern pledge (updated core game and gambler's chest). I'm a perfectionist collector with OCD. I HAVE to have ALL the playable content for KDM. No exceptions. But after speaking with Adam Poots himself, he made it clear that there would be no exceptions, not for anyone. Even though in his latest update he said "We will of course, always do everything we can to accommodate people with special circumstances". I don't know what to do. If I can't have a complete collection, then I'm not sure I even want the core game.

All I can say to Adam at this point is...

You know the time the card is charged is different from the time you will actualy pay for it, right? ahahahahha

That been said, hope for the pledge manager to open later this year, even if Poots said not to count on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wendling
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a pretty unhealthy mentality to have regarding anything and tends to lead to poor decisions where you prioritize cardboard and plastic over more important needs like finances, health, etc. If you can't reconcile not having every bit of gameplay content, then I would recommend not going down this rabbit hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Donate plasma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KiryuEX
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
GusSquared wrote:
That's a pretty unhealthy mentality to have regarding anything and tends to lead to poor decisions where you prioritize cardboard and plastic over more important needs like finances, health, etc. If you can't reconcile not having every bit of gameplay content, then I would recommend not going down this rabbit hole.

I'm aware that the "all or nothing" mentality is stupid, but I just can't help myself. I was willing to abandon all the other kickstarters I had planned on fully backing, but now it's a mute point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't know how you manage your finances but...

If your financial situation only let you spend $350 a few months ago, and you're unable to spend any more money now, maybe you shouldn't be looking to spend a couple grand on a board game?

Also, you do realize there's a VERY strong chance you'll be able to buy the great majority of this stuff at retail down the road, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There is a lot of game in core plus Gambler's Chest. You will be able to buy expansions later; if they don't reopen the pledge manager, they'll sell them on the store. And in a few years there will in all likelihood be another Kickstarter and if worse comes to worse you can sell a kidney to get an all in pledge then. Adam has manufacturing deadlines to meet, and it's best for all of us if he meets them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KiryuEX
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
KevBelisle wrote:

I don't know how you manage your finances but...

If your financial situation only let you spend $350 a few months ago, and you're unable to spend any more money now, maybe you shouldn't be looking to spend a couple grand on a board game?

Also, you do realize there's a VERY strong chance you'll be able to buy the great majority of this stuff at retail down the road, right?

I'll admit that my reach may have exceeded my grasp a bit, but I truly thought I had more time. I'll have more than enough money saved up for all the stuff in Wave 2 long before it ships (likewise for Waves 3 and 4), just not by March 23.

And I do realize that much of this stuff will probably be available in retail later on, but in limited numbers and at nearly twice the cost. And there's no guarantee I'd be able to get everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm curious now. Just how much more time were you thinking you had? Because I'll have enough saved to buy everything I want by the time each wave ships, but fortunately for my savings account, that's not how Kickstarter works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
Adam is notorious for having Black Friday sales, from what I can tell. It's how I got a late pledge for the original KS. Save up money for that day to come, you never know what you'll have access to buying. Best part is, you have many months to save that money. Seriously, plasma donation is like $250 a month lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
KiryuEX wrote:
I'll admit that my reach may have exceeded my grasp a bit, but I truly thought I had more time. I'll have more than enough money saved up for all the stuff in Wave 2 long before it ships (likewise for Waves 3 and 4), just not by March 23.

And I do realize that much of this stuff will probably be available in retail later on, but in limited numbers and at nearly twice the cost. And there's no guarantee I'd be able to get everything.

Again, I am not familiar with your finances. However, this seems like a cash flow problem ("I don't have the money now, I'll have it later.")

Personally, if I didn't have a savings account with enough funds to absorb this cash flow problem (ie: instead of waiting 2 years for $2k to accumulate in my "fun stuff" account, take the $2k from the savings account and let it replenish over 2 years), I wouldn't be spending $2k on a board game since that situation also implies that I wouldn't be able to deal with a car/home/health emergency of a few grand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no laws on ceres.... just cops.
badge
what can change the nature of a man?
mbmbmbmbmb
KiryuEX wrote:
I'm a perfectionist collector with OCD. I HAVE to have ALL the playable content for KDM. No exceptions.

You should probably consider other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
KDM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also curious what you thought about the timeframe. About a month of backerkit was announced at the beginning of the pledge manager period, now it is 5 weeks and two days even.

If your 'OCD'* is a s bad as you say, and your financial situation is as bad as it seems and will not improve significantly, then the proper decision is to not even start collecting KDM, and sell off your copy. Seriously.

*Coming from someone with a family member with OCD, unless you were diagnosed with OCD by a medical professional, this is not the proper way to describe being a completionist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KiryuEX
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
amyotheramy wrote:
I'm curious now. Just how much more time were you thinking you had? Because I'll have enough saved to buy everything I want by the time each wave ships, but fortunately for my savings account, that's not how Kickstarter works.

I'm not really sure, maybe a few months, maybe more. Some of it was probably wishful thinking, but I wasn't expecting the deadline to be so soon. I would have had enough for all the Wave 1 expansions by April, maybe May at the latest.

spectrehorseman wrote:
Adam is notorious for having Black Friday sales, from what I can tell. It's how I got a late pledge for the original KS. Save up money for that day to come, you never know what you'll have access to buying. Best part is, you have many months to save that money. Seriously, plasma donation is like $250 a month lol

Thanks, but that's still not a guarantee. As for the plasma donation thing, the Mabel picture was a joke, I'm actually terrified of needles.

KevBelisle wrote:
Again, I am not familiar with your finances. However, this seems like a cash flow problem ("I don't have the money now, I'll have it later.")

Personally, if I didn't have a savings account with enough funds to absorb this cash flow problem (ie: instead of waiting 2 years for $2k to accumulate in my "fun stuff" account, take the $2k from the savings account and let it replenish over 2 years), I wouldn't be spending $2k on a board game since that situation also implies that I wouldn't be able to deal with a car/home/health emergency of a few grand.

I'd rather not get into details about my finances, but suffice it to say that car/home/health emergencies and the like are not things I have to deal with right now. And I it would only take me roughly 5-6 months to save up $2k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KiryuEX wrote:
And I it would only take me roughly 5-6 months to save up $2k.

Hey it's your money, but if it took me 6 months to save 2K, I'd not consider going all-in on Kingdom Death "within my means".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KiryuEX
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
emodiu5 wrote:
KiryuEX wrote:
I'm a perfectionist collector with OCD. I HAVE to have ALL the playable content for KDM. No exceptions.

You should probably consider other games.

I have, but I still want Kingdom Death more than any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
KiryuEX wrote:
I'm not really sure, maybe a few months, maybe more. Some of it was probably wishful thinking, but I wasn't expecting the deadline to be so soon. I would have had enough for all the Wave 1 expansions by April, maybe May at the latest.

Ahh, OK, I think I understand now. Yes, that is definitely wishful thinking. Pledge managers typically only stay open for a few weeks at most. I have never seen one stay open for a few months. (Not saying that doesn't happen, but it's rare.) Typically the pledge manager opens a month or so after the campaign and then stays open for two weeks to a month, so at most you gain two months after the campaign closes. (Again, odd ones out may go longer.) Adam is rather shockingly (based on reputation) right on time, but this thing was never going to sit open for much more than a month once it went live, because if it did he'd miss those manufacturing deadlines I mentioned earlier.

Edit to add: Also, your insistence on a guarantee is not really helping your perspective either. Kickstarter is never a guarantee. (See 'Lantern Festival.') I backed because Adam went above and beyond in delivering on 1.0, and I obviously think he'll come through. But there are no guarantees on anything ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Hyos wrote:
*Coming from someone with a family member with OCD, unless you were diagnosed with OCD by a medical professional, this is not the proper way to describe being a completionist.

Yes, flippant use of "OCD" like OP gets very tiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KiryuEX
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Hyos wrote:
I am also curious what you thought about the timeframe. About a month of backerkit was announced at the beginning of the pledge manager period, now it is 5 weeks and two days even.

If your 'OCD'* is a s bad as you say, and your financial situation is as bad as it seems and will not improve significantly, then the proper decision is to not even start collecting KDM, and sell off your copy. Seriously.

Like I said, may have been a lot of wishful thinking on my part.

I was diagnosed by a professional, actually by several of them over the years. I was also diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, depression, alexithymia, and Asperger's syndrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
There will absolutely be another opportunity to buy the "New Expansions". Whether it's a re-opened Pledge Manager, or straight from the store when they release in 2019.

Start saving! Don't give up. But also consider your motivations. Fear Of Missing Out is very real, I experience it a lot, and once I realize it I usually realize that <thing I supposedly can't live without> isn't actually that important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
That is one of the curses of this world, when you want something and you get it, you just want something else later on. d

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
What is your timeline on getting everything? There is game content that came out in limited print christmas special miniatures, halloween miniatures, and even gencon exclusive (though that was sold online for a while). Will those cards come back? Maybe. If they do, will they again be in limited time/number? Definitely. If you are happy to wait for things like that to maybe come up again then you should be ok. And if you are happy to be patient like that and wait then you should be ok to purchase expansions and such later on whether it is through the pledge manager, sales, or retail release. There will be sufficient numbers printed that they at least won't sell out for a few days.

If you aren't patient and want to lock in all game content asap.... You're out of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I am literally donating plasma to pay for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without one of the "all-in" pledges, I'd wait for the game, play it, pick up expansions as and when you need more content, and enjoy picking up the game bit by bit. Firstly, this is the curse of the all-in, getting everything at once is less FUN - although fortunately this campaign is staggered in waves. But also there will be sales down the track, meaning you can better spread out the payments.

The value of this game is 80% in that base box. And next year will bring more shiny boardgame toys. If going all in now is hard, I'd suggest fighting the FOMO and moderating the pledge will be a wise move financially. I'm lucky that I'm now in a position to buy this without too much hardship in my life (older, good career, no kids) - but I still think it might be a stupidly large expenditure in the end.

I suspect there will much a decent second-hard market of "regret" sales too from idiots like me. All the more reason to fight the FOMO and collect this as it appears. The funding level of this campaign implies a decent percentage of resales, and I doubt the "rare inflated price" economy will hold up this time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, if you feel like you HAVE to have everything- then prioritize the stuff that WILL NEVER BE AVAILABLE AGAIN.

That means- you need to pick up the Candy and Cola, Hyper Light Drifter, Amy and Pathfinder expansions.

All other expansions will be available somewhere, somehow.

That includes the Gambler's Chest. It is just going to cost a LOT more at retail, that's all.

But since you have actual OCD- you probably want to reconsider feeding it. Decide rationally what you want, and then practice Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Getting or staying healthy should be your priorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.