Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Draw 3, Choose 2 instead of Draw 2 choose 1.
2. Keep the discard pile, so you always get fresh cards, until there are not enough to distribute. Shuffle the discard and distribute.

Reason: I found the personal goals to be very different in difficulty often omitting my goal (kill 5 is really hard for someone who needs to heal everyone).

Would you do this? Or would you rather say: if you draw your battle goal and THEN construct your scenario deck, better make sure you can reach your goal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mason
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: HR Battle Goals:
Interesting idea. I don't mind getting a hard goal that my hero cannot achieve. However, I have found that the same 2 or 3 goals keep popping up despite thorough shuffling.

If I were to try the "draw 3 / keep 2" variant, and my hero achieved both of the drawn goals; I think I would only allow the hero to reap the benefits of 1 of the 2 goals. Just to make sure that I don't start gaining checkmarks at an increased rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer,

(1) Consult the scenario setup by looking at the map only but not reading the text. (I'd consider it Intel gathered before entering, and I see more and more people doing this. Furthermore, if it wasn't supposed to be done then I'm sure Isaac would have put it in the rules.)
(2) Draw your two battle goal cards and choose 1.
(3) Then create your hand for the scenario.

The reason that #2 should come before #3 is so that you're more strategic in creating your deck. Currently, I go in blind with a "go to" deck. However, if I had a battle goal of "Loot X coins" then I'd stack my deck with more Loot cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
kzinti wrote:
I would prefer,

(1) Consult the scenario setup by looking at the map only but not reading the text. (I'd consider it Intel gathered before entering, and I see more and more people doing this. Furthermore, if it wasn't supposed to be done then I'm sure Isaac would have put it in the rules.)

The reason that #2 should come before #3 is so that you're more strategic in creating your deck. Currently, I go in blind with a "go to" deck. However, if I had a battle goal of "Loot X coins" then I'd stack my deck with more Loot cards.

You're already supposed to set up the map, populate the first room, and read the intro text and scenario goal and THEN choose battle goals. And then make your hand and choose what items you are equipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alphasquid wrote:
kzinti wrote:
I would prefer,

You're already supposed to set up the map, populate the first room, and read the intro text and scenario goal and THEN choose battle goals. And then make your hand and choose what items you are equipping.

Seems some people are missing that. its not cheating to know what monsters are in the scenario, look at their stat sheets and then build your deck. The challenge as a solo player is not seeing the entire map when setting up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Gentzel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would shy away from draw 3 keep 2. This would let people rocket through the perks sometimes. Or someone might get screwed over by getting virtually no choice since two of them could be opposites:

(Battle goal 'spoilers'):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Loot no money tokens with loot 5 or more money tokens.

Take only short rests or take only long rests.

In those cases, you pick which of the two you would want, but basically have to take the third card.

Keeping the discard pile discarded would be fine. I'd have no personal issues with that other than eliminating some of the wondering "Does X have that goal?" since you would remember what's already been discarded.

The only sort of variant I'd consider is allowing a player to reveal a battle goal that is impossible and redraw for a new choice. I had the experience:

(Battle goal 'spoilers'):
Have a trap activate on your turn was a choice, but I looked and there were no traps at all in the scenario. It could have been technically possible if I begged our tinkerer to take a plant a trap card just so I could walk on it, but if I didn't have a Tinkerer on the team, it would have been to my knowledge literally impossible.

Essentially I had no option but to take the other battle goal. I would house-rule that in that case, I could redraw a new option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

Instead of draw 3 and keep two, I'd trim it down to draw 2 and use both of them. However, at the end of the scenario you can only credit one of them if both were completed.

It's your game though. Some people might not like it, but it seems like a fun house rule that won't break the system. If your group is into that, go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the battle goals seem disproportionate to their reward, at least for my specific party. Kill an undamaged enemy in 1 hit is nearly impossible unless you have a way to generate a ton of damage or an auto-kill card. Be the first player to kill an enemy, on the other hand, is very easy.

I wouldn't change the rules, but I do sometimes end up with two cards I know I can't complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This thread made me realize there is no explicit rule to shuffle the Battle Goal deck.

Did I miss it somewhere? The only related text is page 33 with "No matter if they were completed or not, all battle goals are returned to the battle goal deck at the end of the scenario." So technically someone could "return" a battle goal to the bottom of the deck.

This probably isn't the intent though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bennett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get all monster cards out for people to see as well as set to one side the number of obstacles, traps, hazardous terrain etc in the scenario as well as chests as described in the set up so people know what they might encounter. I have placed post-it notes over all addition rooms so when we set up we don't know what is where, but we know what we'll face roughly speaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we are going to try draw 3 keep two, score one completed of the two.
And: i think there are 20, so with 4 players you would distribute 12, next scenario you would distribute the 8 left over, then shuffle the rest and distribute 4 more, etc, etc... that way you should not by bad luck see the same once too often and you should be able to conplete at least one (you can only score one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
The benefit of going with vanilla rules is:
If people really aim for perks (cause all but the rolling once are OP) then they maybe play a damage tinkerer in some scenario if they need kills.

Is that good? Bad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the "Loot a Treasure tile" one recently, as all 8-9 scenarios we had thus played had at least 1 treasure tile in them.

We got all the way to the last room, and won, and then I realized that the scenario had no treasure tiles in it!

Isn't this a case where you should be allowed to just ask the question "Are there any treasure tiles in this scenario"? Seems unfair to have a goal that is literally impossible to achieve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d w
Sweden
flag msg tools
ebridge wrote:
I took the "Loot a Treasure tile" one recently, as all 8-9 scenarios we had thus played had at least 1 treasure tile in them.

We got all the way to the last room, and won, and then I realized that the scenario had no treasure tiles in it!

Isn't this a case where you should be allowed to just ask the question "Are there any treasure tiles in this scenario"? Seems unfair to have a goal that is literally impossible to achieve

I had a similar situation with that BG, we finished the scenario before the room containing the only treasure tile was revealed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
ebridge wrote:

So, in the scenario book for each scenario there is a section that says what tiles you will need. Trap tiles and treasure tiles are included. As the game owner I intend to let my party know before drawing battle goals if there are treasure tiles and/or trap tiles in the scenario or not, so they don't take an impossible battle goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:

You're supposed to know "whats in the dungeon" - Which would include all the things on the bottom of the scenario - the monsters, the trap, the obstacles, the terrain, and the chests. The map layout (and presumably the doors since theyre not on the list) are placed at the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
ebridge wrote:

You're supposed to know "whats in the dungeon" - Which would include all the things on the bottom of the scenario - the monsters, the trap, the obstacles, the terrain, and the chests. The map layout (and presumably the doors since theyre not on the list) are placed at the beginning.

yeah but its more fun when you dont?
then just get two goals of 3 and score 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:

I don't like the idea of drawing 3.

The battle goals are SUPPOSED to put you in situations where you play suboptimally or risk failure to fulfill your goal. With 2 choices, you will often get one that lines up pretty well with you character or the mission. With 3 choices you would just about always complete them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
stevelabny wrote:
With 2 choices, you will often get one that lines up pretty well with you character or the mission.

Or at least one that pushes you to play slightly differently than what you're used to in order to achieve your goal.

I completely agree with everything you said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
ionas wrote:

The battle goals are SUPPOSED to put you in situations where you play suboptimally or risk failure to fulfill your goal. With 2 choices, you will often get one that lines up pretty well with you character or the mission. With 3 choices you would just about always complete them.

yeah I do like that argument! and that's why I am torn.
however it means that you have to make your party understand that you will maybe fail the scenario if you cannot get your personal goal ... e.g. say you have to kill 5 and you are the healer, suddenly you waste your abilities to get 5 kills and only then...heal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
KBusterG wrote:
stevelabny wrote:
With 2 choices, you will often get one that lines up pretty well with you character or the mission.

Or at least one that pushes you to play slightly differently than what you're used to in order to achieve your goal.

That's the problem "slightly"... now there are not many battle goals that work with the tinkerer or with tanks and "slightly"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
ionas wrote:
stevelabny wrote:
ionas wrote:

yeah I do like that argument! and that's why I am torn.
however it means that you have to make your party understand that you will maybe fail the scenario if you cannot get your personal goal ... e.g. say you have to kill 5 and you are the healer, suddenly you waste your abilities to get 5 kills and only then...heal...

That's why they are so interesting and fun. You have this tension between trying to achieve two things that are at least somewhat at odds with each other. Now, rather than just always doing the best thing to win the scenario, you have to make interesting choices and balance different objectives.

Also, they aren't equal objectives. You only get the battle goal rewards if you win. If you tank the scenario because you focused too much on the battle goal, then that's a choice you made, and you have to live with it.

Games without tough choices are far less interesting/fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Choices are all right with me, but I fear that some classes have a lot more opportunities regarding battle goals than others. E.g. kill this and kill that ... and you can maybe pull it off but cannot heal at all (or tank, muddle, disable, etc)

E.g. some can contribute a lot to the scenario and still have a pretty good chance at winning scenarios almost always... like contributing 95%. Other classes have issues with a lot of battle goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
ionas wrote:
KBusterG wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

That's the problem "slightly"... now there are not many battle goals that work with the tinkerer or with tanks and "slightly"

It sounds like you want to be rewarded for doing something you'd do anyway. Doesn't sound fun to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
KBusterG wrote:
ionas wrote:
KBusterG wrote:
stevelabny wrote:

It sounds like you want to be rewarded for doing something you'd do anyway. Doesn't sound fun to me.

I totally get you. The problem again is that some classes get that (anyway) while others don't pretty much. I am all for choices. Get the chest vs kill the boss. Loot the stuff vs help your comrades. But as I said, some seem to mostly get battle goals "anyway" while others can almost never get most of the battle goals unless they totally omit the strongest part to contribute to the party.

E.g. next time I will draw kill only PQs I will build the tinkerer deck focussed on damage - I will still deal a lot less than say a Scoundrel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.