United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the posts here by Tom, I'm left with three impressions:

1. This game sounds fascinating!
2. This game is long, and possibly slow, even resisting attempts to be distilled into a shorter scenario.
3. This game is not card driven.

Given all of the above, and my shortage of opponents for longer war games, do you think the game will play well as a solitaire -- even if just playing each side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tckoppang wrote:
After reading the posts here by Tom, I'm left with three impressions:

1. This game sounds fascinating!
2. This game is long, and possibly slow, even resisting attempts to be distilled into a shorter scenario.
3. This game is not card driven.

Given all of the above, and my shortage of opponents for longer war games, do you think the game will play well as a solitaire -- even if just playing each side?

Well, the game has changed quite a bit over the last several years, so it's not quite as slow or obtuse as it once was, but, yes, all of those things are still true, and it works very well as a solitaire, with no real hidden information other than what the other guy has in his noggin. If you're able to have two folks in the same noggin, plotting and counter-plotting against one another-- as many wargamers are able to do-- it should work very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect! I see the rules are now in the files section, and I plan to review those, but I appreciate the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S. Fischer
United States
Devon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
IMHO, owners of SLAR should play it (or any wargame) solo just to get a feel for the game and to get the rules straight. Interesting strategies have emerged in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.