Subject: board game where counters are like miniatures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sommers
United States
Aiken
SC
flag msg tools
I want to get into a board game system where the counters look like miniatures. Nothing fantasy - more historical but it doesn't have to be. I'm thinking the Normandie game... anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Are you asking for a board game system where the counters are miniatures? I don't know what "that look like miniatures" means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/53093/heroes-normandie for what is meant by "look like miniatures" - is first result for a Google search of "Normandie game"..........

I did not look deeper at that game but I assume the rules are miniature type rules with the playing field (needing tape measure to determine scaled distance) replaced with a board (so spaces can be counted instead) and the miniatures replaced with fancy pictures on the counters.

Is this correct - looking for miniatures based rules AND fancy graphics on the counters?

Or is it just the miniatures type rules with no actual miniatures regardless of simplicity or fanciness of the counters themselves?

Surely you do not mean appearance alone regardless of rules????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Simcoe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old Cry Havoc game comes to mind.

The Commands & Colours games (Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics ) could fit the bill also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard Talon described as "a miniatures game without miniatures", and its counters are pretty fancy. It's scifi, so it's not historical, but it's also not fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only things I can think of are Napoleon's Battles or maybe some air combat stuff like Mustangs or Blue Max: World War I Air Combat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sommers
United States
Aiken
SC
flag msg tools
What I'm meant is a board game where the graphics on the counters look like miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Pissburgh
Taxylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold the Line?

BTW that's the old version, which is out of print, not the new version which now uses miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleground Historical Warfare.
Uses cards that replicate miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943 counters literally have pictures of minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Miniatures Page might be able to help you out.

Are what you describing called "flats"? If so, iirc, TMP has a "Figure Flats" subforum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
Battleground Historical Warfare.
Uses cards that replicate miniatures.

I think this game should be the exemplar for this thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleground was the precursor to ONUS! Rome Vs Carthage, both look really great on the table. To a degree, you could even say that using the cards for Wings of War: Famous Aces qualifies as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.