Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Hi BGG folks,
My most hated thing on the internet is a web page with embedded videos (ads or otherwise) with audio that automatically plays when the page loads. It's always an unpleasant surprise. I don't think I'm alone. Any chance you could not include such videos on your home page? I'm totally okay with videos that you can click to play. Thanks.

-Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, even the damn mute button doesn't work during the ad nor pause. Then even their streaming comes on with the volume every time you come back to the main page from a sub page. This kind of bs will keep me from going to a website. I will go out of my way to not buy a product that uses this kind of bs. BGG can control this so it is on them to fix it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdaly72 wrote:
Hi BGG folks,
My most hated thing on the internet is a web page with embedded videos (ads or otherwise) with audio that automatically plays when the page loads.

THIS, 10,000 times THIS. Please do not use Auto-play video on BGG. I have ad-block on, but a video ad with full audio still played when I navigated to the site this morning, and it continues to do so every time I navigate back to the home page. Please make it stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It was posted in another thread, but you can customize your front page, so just remove BGG tv in your settings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amish_rabbi wrote:
It was posted in another thread, but you can customize your front page, so just remove BGG tv in your settings

Right. There are 3 threads so far that are dealing with this issue. My issue with that solution is that it removes the option of watching the video at all. I don't mind having the option to watch the live feed video or any other video BGG puts on "BGG tv." I just don't want it to auto-play, subjecting us to a new commercial every single time we navigate to the home page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wakasm wakasm
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
made you look.
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here specifically to request this.

I already watch BBG twitch stuff on my TV. It's so annoying that every time I hit the homepage, it autoloads. What is worse, is if you close the tab on the homepage that has the video, it doesn't even stop playing, it only hides it visually.

Please give us an option to toggle this off, or don't autoplay videos.

amish_rabbi wrote:

I haven't' actually found this setting yet, and looked for it for a few minutes. I'll continue to do so, although I wouldn't mind leaving the video box there, just not auto-play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
wakasm wrote:

amish_rabbi wrote:

I haven't' actually found this setting yet, and looked for it for a few minutes. I'll continue to do so, although I wouldn't mind leaving the video box there, just not auto-play it.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekcentral/edit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG tv no longer appears to be in auto-play mode. It seems that the Admins must have turned off auto-play, though I have not seen an official confirmation. But assuming that to be the case, a big Thank You! to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to have been corrected in the specific case already, but I'll add my 2¢ as a web developer.

Any autoplaying audio is extremely obtrusive to anyone using a screenreader (assistive technology that reads the content of the webpage aloud, to help those that are visually impaired), and should therefore always be avoided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.