Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Houssian
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply adore this game. The theme really works and is ingrained into every aspect of the game and it makes me laugh on a regular basis (mostly the names of the constructed markets).

What I don't understand though is why the resource trackers only go up to 3? I regularly have 4-6 of some items and have had 9 once.

I love the resources in this game and am NOT complaining about having plenty of them, though I think I'd prefer to have longer tracks so I don't have to use mulitple of the same item on the track.

In teaching this game many times I've found that this is the thing most people consistently forget to do, always reaching for more when they could just slide it down the track.

Maybe as part of the upcoming expansion?
Possibly a promo that you can give to a worthy cause as a KS reward (Watch it Played, or similar)?

Jamey, what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why 3 was chosen. I've thought at various times what is "wrong" with this one:
(These'll be contradictory, as they approach the same goal in different ways)
A. labeled 1,2,3 instead of 2,3,4 (leave singles next to the card)
B. doesn't go to 5 (a multiple people are more used to using)
C. Areas all same size instead of "1" being big enough for each of the 6, and "2" for 4 of them, and "3" for 3 of them.
D. The cards don't go 0-9 and have only one copy of each resource per player.

Now with 3 player games, the cards aren't needed at all, there's enough resources to handle everything all the players have and still have some in the bank.
The cards are only needed if the bank might run out. Although it might make it easier on a player being "banker" if the players did just move on the track up&down.

Given that two players might go above 3 at one time, and each in different resources, although yes in practice if they're stockpiling they'll need 3 tokens (1@1 + 2@3)... well I can see how 3 was a good enough number from playtesters who've played the game more in one month than I have since I got my Kickstarter copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your question, Aaron. The multiplier mats only go up to 3 because they're rarely used. The game comes with 15 of each resource and 18 of each commodity, so unless players are really hoarding tokens, you don't need the mats (I don't think I've ever used them). And if you do use the mats, you can put multiple tokens on each row. So say for some reason you've accumulated 21 energy. You would put 7 energy tokens on row 3 of the multiplier mat.

Have you tried playing without the multiplier mats? Do you find yourself running out of tokens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Have you tried playing without the multiplier mats? Do you find yourself running out of tokens?

I pretty much exclusively play this as a 6-Player game and yes we would run out of them all the time without them ;P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
We use them all the time and I wouldn't say we really horde resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good to know! It sounds like they function as intended for you? Or do you see the need for a revision in a future printing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
That's good to know! It sounds like they function as intended for you? Or do you see the need for a revision in a future printing?

I'd vote for a revision (maybe showing 1-5). Just my two cents, since you asked. (And I'm sure other posts have discussed the red and orange colors being close to each other and often difficult to differentiate).

I enjoy the game but can't get it to the table much/enough. Always nice to pull out the Treasure Chest, too! :-)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin: I'm not aware of a red/orange issue. Are you talking about on the Euphorian and Wastelander icons? Aren't the icons themselves different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Houssian
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

I pretty much exclusively play this as a 6-Player game and yes we would run out of them all the time without them ;P

We never run out of tokens because we always play with the card!

I learned this with 6 (it was a play to win at our local con, thanks for supporting that!) and the first few plays were with 5-6 so we've always used the cards. Even when playing with two I've gotten in the habit of teaching and playing with the cards. I like using them because it requires less reaching around the board to grab and put back things. Once I get a commodity or resource I'll keep it nearby, but off the card, if I use them all up and simply move things up and down the track as needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Houssian
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:

Personally I'd love to see this revised in a future edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Houssian wrote:
Rapscallion_69 wrote:
jameystegmaier wrote:

We never run out of tokens because we always play with the card!

I learned this with 6 (it was a play to win at our local con, thanks for supporting that!) and the first few plays were with 5-6 so we've always used the cards. Even when playing with two I've gotten in the habit of teaching and playing with the cards. I like using them because it requires less reaching around the board to grab and put back things. Once I get a commodity or resource I'll keep it nearby, but off the card, if I use them all up and simply move things up and down the track as needed.

Yeah we do as well so we don't, was just saying were it not for them we would hahaha. We occasionally get some doubling up but for the most part the 3x is all that is needed.

jameystegmaier wrote:

I don't really see the need for a revision as more token as a revision would clutter the board too much (there's barely enough space for em as is hahah) and the 3X board is just fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
I too don't see a need to revise them. The x3 is more than enough. I'm pretty sure the most anyone has ever had of one commodity in our games was 7 and the most of one resource was 4. Without the multiplier boards we definitely would have run out of tokens some in large player count games, but with them we've never run out of tokens. I think the token counts are good. They allow you to not use the multiplier boards in lower player counts and not have to worry about running out in higher player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Flewelling
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey: The red/orange issue was brought up in our play group. The thought was that the Euphorian Tunnel should have followed the yellow/gold palette instead of the red/brown. This would have emphasized the color of the resource gained and the color of the Euphorian banner on the Recruit cards. It is just too close to the color of the Wastelander Tunnel, in our group's opinion.

It hasn't stopped it from making it to the table three weeks in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, Douglas! I can definitely understand that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.