Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game» Forums » News

Subject: News, or possibly rumours. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://kolatinformant.com/2017/03/kolat-information-network-...

Breakdown:

We bought this property for more than just doing a card game. – Steve Horvath
“Players will still have impact on the storyline. Will it work the same way as AEG? No.”
Zero compatibility with the old game
Design Team
Lead designer is Nate French
Co-designers are Erik Dahlman (played the original L5R) and Brad Andres
Koteis will work differently but they will still have them. 8 koteis in the world over a 12 month span (similar to the System Open Series from X-Wing)
Store championships, opens, Nationals and World Championships are slated and it WILL be in at November Worlds
“Biggest initial print run for an LCG they’ve ever done.”
Big opening event at Gen*Con that will be broadcast around the world
Same rotation as other lcgs
“Dynasty packs” are monthly releases
Big boxes will be clan based. Wouldn’t comment on what clans
$39.95 MSRP for Core Set
You will only need to purchase 2 Core Sets to have a playset of each card for L5R.
Marketing kick off – April 19 – Mark your Calendars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a nice looking box at least. I like the new logo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Nifty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be the first living card game that I've ever purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
“Players will still have impact on the storyline. Will it work the same way as AEG? No.”

I'm okay with that. While the setting was fun for L5R I thought the story could be a bit all over the place. I think the way players impacted the story had a lot to do with that.

Only two cores for a full play set is really nice. Hopefully one day we can get down to one. I guess if it comes down to a trade off between the size of the opening card pool and requiring redundant purchases I'd still rather have the best starting card pool possible though.

I'm dying for any information on how the game will play even at a high level. I guess I only got to wait 1 more month for the articles to start.

Did we get any indication yet on how many clans will be in the core set? I'm assuming not all of them will be available at launch considering how Conquest was structured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Colddie
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cover shows Crane, Lion and Scorpion (or maybe Phoenix?), so that is at least 3, I guess there will be at least a couple more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teage Watson
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok for someone who is new to L5R card game, what is a Kotei?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Nix
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Koteis were L5Rs regional tournaments, basically. Often the winner of the tournament would have some impact on the story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a french advertisement with seven mon on it, pretty sure they were Crab, Crane, Dragon, Lion, Phoenix, Scorpion, and Unicorn.

Also, I wonder how incompatible the game will be with old stuff. For Netrunner, a lot of stuff said the two versions were not compatible, but they were still really similar and could be made compatible with not much effort at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok...so we will get a full playset with 2 cores? What could that mean for the card distribution?
The Arkham LCG came with 239 cards, and AGoT came with 234 cards. It seems plausible that L5R will come with a similar number of cards.
Should a playset consist of 4 copies of a card, this would mean that each core comes with roughly 115 unique cards (2 of each). Spread across all nine clans (Crab, Crane, Dragon, Lion, Mantis, Phoenix, Scorpion, Spider, Unicorn) plus the neutral cards would result in just round about 24 cards per clan (2 of each of 12 uniques), which seems to be a bit on the low side. Should that be the case FFG will probably do the same thing as with AGoT so that a single core just makes it possible to build decks using 2 clans in an alliance plus some neutral cards. In that case we would get all the factions from the start, but single clan decks would require the second core to be doable.

They could also opt for leaving out a few clans from the initial release, in which case each included clan had more cards and options available (the missing clans could then come in the first deluxe expansions). I don't think that this is what FFG will do as it would mean that these deluxe expansions would be essential purchases in order to be able to use all the cards from the dynasty packs.

In either case I think that the core set might come wih a few crucial neutral cards (income generating holdings) which a player would get a full playset of with two cores, but which could be so vital to each deck that the players will still end up wanting three or four cores (like in AGoT).

Maybe the best way to deal with this would be to have a full playset of such vital neutral cards in every core box, but that would reduce the number of cards per clan even further...

What do you think FFG will do? Start with fewer clans or with a very small card pool for each clan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Colddie
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they will go the Conquest route and leave some of the clans out (Mantis and Spider?) to be added in the first two big boxes along with either neutrals or a small pool of cards for other factions. That way players of every clan have a stake to buy it. I hope they will not do the two faction mixing thing, it does not fit this game IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Winchester
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wanjajoral wrote:
Ok...so we will get a full playset with 2 cores? What could that mean for the card distribution?
The Arkham LCG came with 239 cards, and AGoT came with 234 cards. It seems plausible that L5R will come with a similar number of cards.
Should a playset consist of 4 copies of a card, this would mean that each core comes with roughly 115 unique cards (2 of each). Spread across all nine clans (Crab, Crane, Dragon, Lion, Mantis, Phoenix, Scorpion, Spider, Unicorn) plus the neutral cards would result in just round about 24 cards per clan (2 of each of 12 uniques), which seems to be a bit on the low side. Should that be the case FFG will probably do the same thing as with AGoT so that a single core just makes it possible to build decks using 2 clans in an alliance plus some neutral cards. In that case we would get all the factions from the start, but single clan decks would require the second core to be doable.

They could also opt for leaving out a few clans from the initial release, in which case each included clan had more cards and options available (the missing clans could then come in the first deluxe expansions). I don't think that this is what FFG will do as it would mean that these deluxe expansions would be essential purchases in order to be able to use all the cards from the dynasty packs.

In either case I think that the core set might come wih a few crucial neutral cards (income generating holdings) which a player would get a full playset of with two cores, but which could be so vital to each deck that the players will still end up wanting three or four cores (like in AGoT).

Maybe the best way to deal with this would be to have a full playset of such vital neutral cards in every core box, but that would reduce the number of cards per clan even further...

What do you think FFG will do? Start with fewer clans or with a very small card pool for each clan?

They usually go with 3 as the max number of copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Groll
Germany
Marburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bamjoe wrote:

Yes, but that would result in having 6 cards with two cores which is more than a playset. If FFG is interested in providing a full playset with 2 cores 2 copies of each card would be the optimal solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanjajoral wrote:
bamjoe wrote:

Yes, but that would result in having 6 cards with two cores which is more than a playset. If FFG is interested in providing a full playset with 2 cores 2 copies of each card would be the optimal solution.

They didn't state that 2 will get you exactly a playset. Just that it'll get you a playset. People generally don't complain about getting more than they need, so I wouldn't read into that statement that they're going to change something that has persisted through pretty much every LCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Abrams
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For the Star Wars LCG, you only needed two core sets for a complete playset.

Since the Star Wars LCG grouped cards together in "pods," and you could only have up to two copies of the same pod in your deck, there was no reason at all to buy a third core box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teage Watson
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wanjajoral wrote:
bamjoe wrote:

I think you are assuming that each card will have the same quantity in the core set, which has not been the case in the past. They have been making a lot of changes around their core sets over the last few releases, but in most of the games I have experience with (SW:LCG aside) you end up needing the extra cores for some of the cards and not others. I have BCW boxes for each LCG I play that holds the "extras" above what I need for a play set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth mentioning that AH TCG (which only required 2x cores for 1 full play set) has a 2x limit for each card and a much smaller deck size than other LCGs (33 cards usually). I wonder if that might be the case here as well. Though should we expect just 1 deck per player or 2? that would kinda inform card distribution speculation. I mean a deck can only get so small before it seems too small to be interesting.

Add: I haven't played l5r in a while, but I recall a 40 card Fate deck and a 40 card Dynasty deck. Both had a 3x limit per card I think and there were a couple cards that didn't count toward those deck limits.

Let's assume a total of around 240 cards and maybe 4 clan specific cards with 7 clans in the core. That's 28 cards out. Then let's assume 1x of 25 clan cards each. Then lets assume you can align so you can form a deck with cards from 2 clans. So we have 50 cards right now per core set player. Then maybe 2x of 16 neutral cards included so that two players can each include the same set of neutral cards. That would look very similar to other LCG core sets. It would give us possibly a 33 card Fate and 33 card Dynasty deck. The total would be (4+25)*7+16*2 = 235.

That seems not unreasonable and not too far off from Michael Groll's estimate.

I also would guess Crab, Crane, Dragon, Lion, Phoenix, Scorpion, Unicorn in the core and probably Mantis and Spider in future deluxe core sets. That would also align with past LCGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac S.B.
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
CommissarFeesh wrote:

I like this quote. I admit that right now I'm completely LCG-ed out, with so many quality LCGs out there, but I like this property a lot (I used to play L5R back in the time, and even ran the pen-and-paper RPG), so I hope they release more games in this setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
Southsea
Hampshire
flag msg tools
I'm hoping they've jettisoned Spider. Wonder if they will continue the storyline that has been established to date or do a reset of some kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drfaustus83 wrote:
I'm hoping they've jettisoned Spider. Wonder if they will continue the storyline that has been established to date or do a reset of some kind.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it's a reset of the storyline. With that, people are with the impresion that all the clans that existed will exist now, but with a reset, and their resistance to comment an what clans will be in the game, i believe some clans will be erased from the story, to make it more feasible to the LCG format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kieran Briggs
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm expecting the core set to only have 4 or 5 factions with the remaining 2 in deluxe boxes. I think I recall hearing rumours that they were only having 7 clans in this version with possibly spider and mantis losing out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Factions in the core box is not an unreasonable expectation. I think 9 probably would be too much for one core set when you look at the numbers. Let's compare to other LCGs.

Conquest had Guard, Space Marines, Orks, Chaos, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Tau. That's 7 factions in the core box. Then they had two more factions in deluxe expansions. So 9 factions total.

AGOT 2.0 had Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, Greyjoy, Nights Watch, Targaryen, Tyrell and Martell. So that's 8 factions in the core box.

Netrunner had Anarchs, Shapers, Criminal, HB, Jinteki, NBN and Weyland. That's 7 factions in the core box. 3 neutral factions were released later in a deluxe box.

Add:

celedhring wrote:
CommissarFeesh wrote:

I like this quote. I admit that right now I'm completely LCG-ed out, with so many quality LCGs out there, but I like this property a lot (I used to play L5R back in the time, and even ran the pen-and-paper RPG), so I hope they release more games in this setting.

I would have to imagine that they plan to use the IP as much as possible considering they bought it in full. I suspect this is one of the reasons they ended their relationship with GW (to spend their resources on this and Star Wars instead), and we can expect to eventually see the same range of products we saw from FFG's Warhammer and 40k lines. One thing they put out for both those IPs was RPGs. Unfortunately last time they were asked specifically about their plans to do an L5R RPG they said there was no current product in the works. Just the card game was all they were committing to announcing at the time. That said FFG still puts out RPG material and L5R has an RPG legacy. I'd think it is inevitable that FFG puts out a new version. Also if it proves successful FFG has a wide range of gaming products they produce so board games and miniature games is not beyond the realm of possibility, and probably quite likely considering how they handle their other IPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Can this be played solo like arkham horror lcg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DragonFly90 wrote:

Doubtful. Hasn't L5R always been a competitive game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
DragonFly90 wrote:

Doubtful. Hasn't L5R always been a competitive game?

I presume so, I never played the original

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.