New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

It's time to reprint Argent, and there has been some talk of creating a premium collector's edition. We've been putting some plans together, so I wanted to run them by folks and see what you all think and if there's any interest in a project like this...

MSRP -- $250 USD
- Includes Base Game, Mancers, Summer Break, and another upcoming, unannounced expansion.
- Lacquered Wooden chest with embossed lid, felt-lined wooden component trays.
- Metal coins.
- Flask-shaped mana pieces.
- Stamped Metal department Marks.
- Slightly different pose for each student miniature.
- Plastic tokens for Int and Wisdom, featuring a circular token with a relief of the item embossed on it.
- Metallic Foil process on the edges of cards and rooms (the gold borders)
- Metal "Key to the University" for the First Player Tracker
- Colored Pedestals for the mages, matching each different department.
- Plastic-core cards
- Numbered collector's edition plaque on the inside lid of the box.

We would probably produce about 500 of these alongside a new expansion to Argent, later this year.

So anyway... would anyone want something like this for their collection? Any suggestions on other upgrades we might make?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very tempting for sure. I couldn't guarantee such a purchase from me though at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of it, however, including potentially high international shipping this might get too expensive to warrant a purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomi Mononen
Finland
Kuopio
Pohjois-Savo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't do this to me... All my money goes to kickstarter anyway and I would need to save for the trip to Essen 17...

But I would buy all the extra bits if that would be an option. Don't need a second set of the base game.

And the price point 250 is a bit steep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems nice, but as someone who already owns the base game and expansion, rebuying those games is not that appealing.

To be honest, given how little I pimp out my games in general, I probably wouldn't invest in something like this even were I starting from scratch, and that's counting on the fact that base game plus two expansions would be about $150 MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Smith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be nice to have option for just the pimped out stuff if I already have the game and expansions. Unless your talking upgraded player boards and locations also just dont want to have to buy everything again if I already have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Speers
United States
Liberty Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to echo the above as someone who owns all the previous released items that I would really only be interested in new expansion material.

That said, good luck and do look forward to seeing what will be offered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dorkus Malorkus
United States
Southwest
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Very happy to see this getting a reprint!

However, I think that $250 will be a bit pricey for most people... Might be nice to see an edition/version somewhere in between the standard and the premium collector's edition.

For example, an option excluding the wooden chest, foil process, plaque... but containing some of the component upgrades which I believe would have more universal appeal.

I'd consider the collector's edition as proposed, but it wouldn't be an easy decision to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brad, I love Argent and it's one of my favourite games. I've already added some components myself and I wanted to give you some feedback on your proposed upgrades in comparison.

Kyokai wrote:
MSRP -- $250 USD
- Includes Base Game, Mancers, Summer Break, and another upcoming, unannounced expansion.

This price might be reasonable for the contents, but it's still too much for me since I already own all 3 items that are already out . The most expensive single game I own right now is the Scythe Collector's edition which was $99 USD on Kickstarter and it's pretty hard to go more than that for a game...

I would definitely buy the new expansion (even though I no longer have space in the base box!)

Kyokai wrote:

- Lacquered Wooden chest with embossed lid, felt-lined wooden component trays.

This sounds gorgeous and would be something I'd like but not necessarily need, unless I didn't have a storage solution already.

Kyokai wrote:

- Metal coins.

I already bought some metal coins because it feels so much more awesome with metal coins .

Kyokai wrote:

- Flask-shaped mana pieces.

I'd buy this as a separate pack!

Kyokai wrote:

- Stamped Metal department Marks.

Not necessary for me, but sounds nice.

Kyokai wrote:

- Slightly different pose for each student miniature.

I'd honestly not be able to notice any pose differences, the figures are pretty small.

Kyokai wrote:

- Plastic tokens for Int and Wisdom, featuring a circular token with a relief of the item embossed on it.

I'd also buy this as a separate pack (but only if the price is pretty low). The cardboard ones are pretty functional.

Kyokai wrote:

- Metallic Foil process on the edges of cards and rooms (the gold borders)

Nice, but I'd be worried about scratching the room tiles and then I'd be neurotic about sleeving all the cards .

Kyokai wrote:

- Metal "Key to the University" for the First Player Tracker

Sorry Brad, this feels pretty not-collectors-special...I immediately bought an elaborate antique metal key off eBay for $3 to replace the token.

Kyokai wrote:

- Colored Pedestals for the mages, matching each different department.

This would be a great practical upgrade! If they can fit/be glued onto the current mages I'd buy this upgrade separately too.

Kyokai wrote:

- Plastic-core cards

Nice, but not necessary for me since your cards are pretty sturdy. I would still get this upgrade if it contains all the corrected errata from the first edition cards. And having sturdy, identical, and perfect Voter cards would be a nice upgrade too (the expansions have a slight colour difference on the backs).

Kyokai wrote:

- Numbered collector's edition plaque on the inside lid of the box.

Not important for me, but always nice.

I guess overall I'd prefer buying small upgrade packs like how Scythe did it, but I understand if that's not economical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoo man. That sounds really awesome. But, I can honestly say, your target market would mostly end up being people who own the game I think? Perhaps a version where you upgrade your own edition instead?

I also think that my usual cap for Luxury is around $80. So lets say I can get the full game for $90, then I'd be willing to spend about $170 on this edition.

While this edition sounds amazing, I'm not sure if it would be within my wants to get it. Also if there were any more expansions in the future, I'd be worried about matching components and whatnot.

Also seriously that colored pedestal idea is fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds pretty awesome to me! Though I personally don't much care for plastic cards (does plastic-core refer to those indestructible plastic cards?). I feel like you probably would see these get gobbled up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Want, absolutely. Want at the price of $250... it looks like you're getting your money's worth in terms of stuff, but I'd have a hard time justifying spending that much on a game I already own (with all the current extras; spent about $80 already).

You might try doing a P500 thing, where when you get 500 folks putting up the dosh then you do a print run for 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lohrman
United States
Lancaster
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Super excited for the expansion, but I wouldn't be interested in the deluxe edition. The only part that I'd really miss is the fancy box since the original Argent box can't possibly hold a second expansion.

I did keep my fancy KS sleeve and my thank you letter though! Can't wait to hear more about this and Empyreal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Czahor
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argent has become one of my favorite games but there's zero chance I'd be interested in dropping $250 on a super edition.

I'd get a new expansion in a heartbeat, though, and I'd really love an upgrade kit that reprinted the spells and character sheets to make it more clear what's red vs what's orange, and what's grey vs what's neutral.

Seriously though, the Red spells look terrible, from across the table it's really hard to tell the difference between red and grey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I already have a copy, I would be more interested in getting some nice upgrade options - stamped marks, coins, upgraded things etc. Definitely jumping on the new expansion though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abigail Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Argent, and I'd love this, but $250... I just couldn't do it. A quarter of a thousand...

What I'd suggest is drop the wooden box and instead go with a deluxe cardboard box (very nice graphic design different from the normal, maybe a wood aesthetic) and still do the nice components--basically the level of Scythe Collector's Edition, which I think was around $100. At $100, I'd probably do it. At $150 I'd be very tempted. Over $150, it'd be a pass, even though I'd really want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abigail Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I should add that I'm not excited about the idea of unique poses for each student. I use shape to identify pieces as well as color, and different shapes would make it harder for me to read, I'd think. Instead of different poses, if you were to change them, maybe make them larger and sturdier and/or add a little paint to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a sucker for deluxe/collector's editions! I'd love to see a good way to sort & store the game components properly...I already own a custom wood insert. Whether or not I bite depends on the timing...hopefully it's a few months away from happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love this game and I really like the thought of upgrading a lot of my components. However. . . .I've already dropped money on all of the current content. It would be very hard to justify spending an additional $250 on everything I already have. Now if you could come up with a method to sell these things separate as addons or something so we could pick and choose our upgrades to what we already have. . . . I'd probably spring for several of the options you just mentioned. I know that isn't ideal but I don't think I can justify rebuying everything, especially at that price. Just my $0.02. Very excited to hear about another expansion though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to seriously consider it. If the new bases were not the peg & hole thing it would be a plus. I'm one of the people who cut off the pegs and glued magnets on. But $250 isn't out of range for a game I love, especially if it were limited to 500 copies ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luc de Leeuw
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely interested! Would be nice if you can get the price to go down a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually getting rid of my copy because of the bases and the almost indistinguishable player colors, even in bright light. (And no, I'm not colorblind.)

I like the game but not enough to put time and money into solving the design errors. I probably wouldn't even buy the bases solution you come up with if it was sold separately, unless you sold it at cost.

Also, at an absolute minimum for any future edition, you should really revise your rulebook.

I apologize if that seems blunt, and I know it will raise the ire of your dedicated fans. But a simple look at the number of threads and the number of fan solutions on this site to the component and rulebook issues should convince you that these issues are bad enough to cost your franchise future business.

(The .02 of a disappointed customer, fwiw.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasquale Cirone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm completely on board for a new expansion for Argent.

And although I like pimping out many of my games (typically foam core inserts), Argent hasn't had this treatment from me.

However, I have yet to purchase a collector's edition of a game. Nor have I every purchased a Broken Token insert or fancy wooden box. So perhaps I'm not your target customer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as most people have said i would not want to rebuy what i have already purchased.

one concern is also the plasticore cards. if you go with this as a deluxe upgrade then you have to ensure all future expansions also have an option for plasticore cards.... or just never have more expansions.

the biggest thing i would want to change is the bases for the miniatures. if you could make them similar to the cry havoc miniature bases that snap on and off i would buy that upgrade in a heartbeat. or really anything that works better than how the first printing did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one would be all over it. The foil process had me worried though, as it tends to flake etc...

I could easily trade the copies I have to subsidize it.

And I hope I wouldn't miss any window to order it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.