BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Games where the room you're in is the actual board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Question for the group. Are there any examples of games that may use cards or other components, but the room you're in serves as the actual board? Meaning instead of moving a pawn on a board, you'd actually need to move around the actual room you're in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I assume you're not talking about a social game like charades or what have you, but something that you need to move yourself or objects around a non-defined space? I mean there are some dexterity games that kind of do this like PitchCar (where you may use things in the room to build/support the track) and Elk Fest (where you set up the pieces on an arbitrary surface), but I don't think that's quite what you have in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah not exactly, the question I have is less like charades and more like an actual board game where the board is the actual room you are in. So if the game was like Clue, instead of moving a game piece into a 2D kitchen, you'd physically walk to the kitchen in your house and draw a card there that furthers the game.

I had an idea for a game that would use cards and the actual people in the room. Mostly this idea came from my preference of designing cards over boards, but in talking to some game enthusiasts it sounded like there aren't many (or any) games that use this idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, is it a worker placement game?

Grab the remote control and become the start player.
Sit in the armchair and gain 3 Rest points.
Sit on the sofa and gain 1 Rest point (sofa can take up to 3 players).
Stand by the window and draw a Are There Any Foxes In My Garden? Card. Gain 1 Victory Point per fox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
like Two Rooms and a Boom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Knack
United States
San Rafael
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two rooms and a Boom has elements of this.
The game takes place with the players split into two groups, each occupying a different room/distant spot in the same room. The players in each room democratically elect a leader to represent them, and every few minutes that leader meets with the other leader to pass hostage players across to the other side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kfroleiks wrote:
Yeah not exactly, the question I have is less like charades and more like an actual board game where the board is the actual room you are in. So if the game was like Clue, instead of moving a game piece into a 2D kitchen, you'd physically walk to the kitchen in your house and draw a card there that furthers the game.

I had an idea for a game that would use cards and the actual people in the room. Mostly this idea came from my preference of designing cards over boards, but in talking to some game enthusiasts it sounded like there aren't many (or any) games that use this idea.

what if you want to play the game in a room that doesn't have a location that you need to use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Alampay
United States
University Place
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pingo Pingo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amish_rabbi wrote:
kfroleiks wrote:

what if you want to play the game in a room that doesn't have a location that you need to use?

And would it break the game if you were in a location without the rooms you are using? Like playing in a cabin or a convention hall where there might not be an explicit bedroom or basement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's this thing. Though I guess it's more like a miniatures game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I doubt it.
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I don't owe you my trust. You owe me your proof.
badge
This is my incredulous face.
mbmbmb
There's actually a 1:1 scale miniatures game that's built on the premise that you use the setting of your game as the setting of your battle: Fairy Meat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SaintlyThomas wrote:
There's actually a 1:1 scale miniatures game that's built on the premise that you use the setting of your game as the setting of your battle: Fairy Meat.

That is beautiful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jordan grose
msg tools
This House Is Haunted sounds exactly like it might match what your looking for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jewels in the Attic is a game where your entire house is the game board, and each room a different encounter can happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Gun$: Live perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for doing this detective work for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Under My Roof ... Requires the whole house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory & Crissy Cook
United States
Avoca
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Car Wars at a convention once where, before you played, you put together a snap-together model car (1/25 scale) and glued on spare toy gun pieces. We played in the convention hall where the game tables were the buildings and used tape measure for distances. If you got hit, piece would be broken off your model. If you crashed or blew up, your model would be stomped on by the judge. Fun times...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole Fuzzy Heroesline of wargames is made of this.

My own trio of postcard games Small Adventures uses the room or the whole house as the board.

Small Adventures - 1-2-3 - Postcard Games

Dont remember the name. But there was a LARP style solo survival game where you were based in your room. And another where your room was a lifepod in space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Jutland came immediately to mind. There is no board, so you play it on the floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasnt Little Wars played mostly on the floor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Came here to post this. The classic wargame by noted pacifist H.G. Wells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to look it up, but there's a kids game where you are picking up and delivering passengers to different airports, which are scattered around the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Josef
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Thosw wrote:
I'll have to look it up, but there's a kids game where you are picking up and delivering passengers to different airports, which are scattered around the room.

I came here to mention this: Richard Scarry's Busy Busy Airport. My daughter loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.