Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Yahoo Group:

We've started up a new 18xx Podcast called 'Dual Gauge'. It features three hosts for the time being, Kyle Nauman, Tony Fryer and myself, Tyler McLaughlin.

The focus for the Podcast is to help new players get into the hobby a little deeper first and foremost, but also to explore what makes us love these games and to do our best to also appeal to you old hands out there.

We have two episodes up so far and are looking at a release schedule of one a month. We hope you can find something of interest here, at the very least, maybe your morning commute got a little bit more 18xx-ey.

http://dualgauge.libsyn.com/podcast

If you have any questions or comments about the show, feel free to let us know what you think. Our contact information is at the end of every episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've listened to the first two episodes and enjoyed them! I love me some 18xx hot stove league chatter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Great balance of discussion between the hosts. Tyler's addition is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
blush Thanks Scott, my friends all say I've got a face for Radio. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garret Wehrman
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
Please contact me about playing 18xx in Orange County.
badge
Hello cursor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very excited to give this a listen after learning about it from the Yahoo group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot! Downloaded and subscribed on my iPhone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have enjoyed both editions of the podcast thus far, and have just sent off an email to Marflow Games asking for shipping estimates in the hopes of getting a few copies of 18Rhl down to New Zealand.

Will you guys be teeing-off a Guild page for the Podcast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fryer
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DNAmers wrote:
...have just sent off an email to Marflow Games asking for shipping estimates in the hopes of getting a few copies of 18Rhl down to New Zealand.

Damian, very cool! It is a really neat little title. There is a lack of info out there on it, so I made this forum post: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1740687/18rhl-rhineland...

I hope that creates a little more interest in the game.

DNAmers wrote:
Will you guys be teeing-off a Guild page for the Podcast?

Dunno, I'll leave that up to Kyle and Tyler - I'm just along for the ride for a little while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonyfryer wrote:
There is a lack of info out there on it, so I made this forum post: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1740687/18rhl-rhineland...

Reading that very post last week may have contributed significantly to my interest in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Theiss
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
e.e.goings wrote:
blush Thanks Scott, my friends all say I've got a face for Radio. whistle

Yes. You really do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DNAmers wrote:
tonyfryer wrote:
There is a lack of info out there on it, so I made this forum post: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1740687/18rhl-rhineland...

Reading that very post last week may have contributed significantly to my interest in the game.

It's also why I ordered a copy, which is in the post as we speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved both episodes!
Great work, I'm looking hearing forward to the next one! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun episode, guys. A third chair really keeps the conversation flowing and I also don't want any of that temple strategy "crap" in my 18xx games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three host's the charm! Tyler is a welcome addition.

I'm sorry to hear Kyle's group doesn't enjoy token wars. I've found aggressive tokening to be somewhat group dependent. I promise - we gonna grid lock maps in tokens and maliciously lay tiles just for the laughs in Seattle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
Three host's the charm! Tyler is a welcome addition.

I'm sorry to hear Kyle's group doesn't enjoy token wars. I've found aggressive tokening to be somewhat group dependent. I promise - we gonna grid lock maps in tokens and maliciously lay tiles just for the laughs in Seattle.

You might like to try 18CO, still in playtest, which is all about tragic track and blocking tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Token wars are interesting in that they're exercises in early commitment and predictive valuation. But, they're only part of a game. With that aspect of gameplay gone, the game-value has to be put somewhere, so games without token wars tend to push their focus onto timing (cf tile counting) and shorter trains (so that revenue variance is not so large a factor), which in turn encourages a game of margin accumulation as revenue differentials.

Which nicely matches 1835 and the Ian D. Wilson designs.

Yeah, I'll be taking a look at 18CO; he's doing some neat stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments everyone. Glad you are all enjoying the show.

So, because Damian suggested it and Tony passed the buck, I submitted a guild page this morning, It should be up an running once the Admin's have a look.

Oh, and Mike and I are still friends despite the fact that he doesn't read posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.