18 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Table Size Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobak Oft
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey I am about to play a five player game with all the expansion and was wondering if the game would fit on a 2.5 feet by 6 feet table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Width is always the problem, we prefer a minimum 36 inch (3 feet) width game table, and 48 inches wide is the best. Round tables are actually preferable in most cases to rectangular ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobak Oft
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah i figured the width may be a problem, but would the map still fit on 2.5 feet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The map will physically fit, but you won't get a player on 2 sides of the hexagon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pratt
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be a bit tight in places. Might I suggest a few TV Trays to help manage a lack of table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
The map will physically fit, but you won't get a player on 2 sides of the hexagon.

Put another way that's fine for a 4p game, but for 5 or 6 those players are up the end of the table, too far from the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a very big Table that is Square, seats 2 on each side, but could easily seat 3 on each side if needed. Here is what it looks like with an 8-player setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klurejr wrote:
I have a very big Table that is Square, seats 2 on each side, but could easily seat 3 on each side if needed. Here is what it looks like with an 8-player setup.

Nice setup. I just played my first game on a 60" x 60' table with 5 players and it was a perfect fit. We had some side tables for drinks, rules, etc... but all the game content fit easily on the square table. My normal gaming table is 38" x 72" and it definitely would not have fit all 5 of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
zjhomrighaus wrote:
Nice setup. I just played my first game on a 60" x 60' table with 5 players and it was a perfect fit.

I should think you could get a dozen games side by side on that table. :-)

My table is 150x90cm, with a small table that's 60x50cm beside it. This is fine for a 2-ring game but it would be a bit of a stretch for a 3-ring game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
[q="zjhomrighaus"]
My table is 150x90cm, with a small table that's 60x50cm beside it. This is fine for a 2-ring game but it would be a bit of a stretch for a 3-ring game.

That's fair - we only ever play 3 ring games with any player count, I forget people play 2 ring games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
zjhomrighaus wrote:
Nice setup. I just played my first game on a 60" x 60' table with 5 players and it was a perfect fit.

I should think you could get a dozen games side by side on that table. :-)

We certainly could have handled 8 players on this table... but once you have a stack of planet cards, ACs, PCs, Techs, etc. it was pretty full. Here is a pic of the set up before we started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:

We certainly could have handled 8 players on this table... but once you have a stack of planet cards, ACs, PCs, Techs, etc. it was pretty full. Here is a pic of the set up before we started.

What is all the white space on the left side of the board????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
klurejr wrote:
zjhomrighaus wrote:

It looks like a 5 player game, and there are some variants out there that basically use a template thing to cut a slice out of the galaxy and connect it so that players in a 5-player game plays out, distance wise, pretty much like a 6-player game. I think that white space is one of those templates. (Basically, they usually have a series of lines indicating which tiles are adjacent to which other tiles on the other side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

It looks like a 5 player game, and there are some variants out there that basically use a template thing to cut a slice out of the galaxy and connect it so that players in a 5-player game plays out, distance wise, pretty much like a 6-player game. I think that white space is one of those templates. (Basically, they usually have a series of lines indicating which tiles are adjacent to which other tiles on the other side.[/q]

I was thinking it was something like that. I am trying to recall if I even played a 5 player game, but still I don't think I have ever seen this setup in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
klurejr wrote:
I was thinking it was something like that. I am trying to recall if I even played a 5 player game, but still I don't think I have ever seen this setup in the rule book.

An equivalent layout is in the Living Rulebook, page 86 (well, it's equivalent if you ignore all the guff about special yellow wormholes and regard the systems as normally adjacent). I don't think it's appeared in an "official" rulebook, so you may not have seen it if you don't use the Living Rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
klurejr wrote:

It's not an official rule variant, but is a pretty popular fan one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klurejr wrote:
zjhomrighaus wrote:

Yes, the others are correct. We had a 5p game and I looked around at different 5p map designs. The 5p variant in the Rulebook seemed pretty unfair. They compensate the players who have near neighbors with some extra trade goods, but we were all new players, so I didn't think we would know how to effectively use those trade goods to even the playing field.

The map shown is a standard 6p set up with one wedge removed. I just took some poster board, traced the hexes and drew arrows to indicate which hexes were adjacent. This is aligned with an official pre-set map variant (see page 4 in FFG link below) , but I just shifted where the middle empty space tile was and used the arrows instead of piling a bunch of wormhole tokens on the tiles. You can think about it as a cone shaped galaxy that is flattened out... every player has the same adjacency as every other player.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Twilig...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.