United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

I'm playing this game solo to learn the rules, and here's a scenario:

--German armies captured Petrograd and Moscow, which results in Russian capitulation. Based on the comments in this thread, this means that all russian territory is considered under the ownership of Germany for the purposes of movement. That is, Austrian, Turkish, and German armies would not have to attack garrisons during combat and can freely move into or through these territories during the movement phase (please correct me if this is not the case).

--Bulgaria is not in the war.

--Assuming the above is true, could a German army in, say, Belgium, move via the Caucasus box and arrive in Anatolia in order to defend Turkey against British armies making their way north from Basra? Let's assume there are no Turkish armies in the square boxes along the route (I see in the rules that armies can't move through one another in the Near East).

While I'm at it, a few other quick questions:

--In my playthrough the Austrians fought against the Serbs and caused both Serbian armies to flip to the Spent side. Am I right to say that, at the start of the game, there's no way for these armies to flip back? The WA can't lend them PPs, and they have no production of their own. Later, once Greece is available, I see that the WA could lend 1 PP via the Greek port, but at the start this isn't an option, correct?

--Later, the Austrians attack the Serbs again, and this time trigger a retreat since both Serbian armies are spent. Serbia doesn't have the option to cancel the retreat, since it's not defending a flag or a home production space. So these armies must retreat and their only possible location is Albania. Once there, however, they can't attack because they're spent. But it's a good idea to station an Austrian army in Serbia nevertheless, because the Serbs could be flipped if/when Greece enters the war. Austria should either force another Serbian retreat, which would permanently eliminate the Serbs, or at least defend the spot.

Does the above sound correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The short answer here is please please please study the rulebook before interpreting rules via BGG posts, as it seems like you have a few things mixed up. The rulebook is really crystal clear on some of the stuff (edit: all of the stuff) you ask about and it might be that you need to read thru it again and take it in, the forum in that case might do more harm than good. I had the luxury over Christmas of reading a few pages before bed each night but the time was well spent when I did sit down to play. The rulebook should be your only point of reference rules-wise til you are comfortable.

I don't mean that in a bad way but rather trying to set you straight would lead to more confusion as it sounds like you have some misconceptions. I would hold off soloing it until you are comfortable with nearly everything mechanics wise, otherwise you will put the cart before the horse, so to speak. I didn't touch this solo til I understood most of the concepts, when I played it, it was a piece of cake overall and went really fluidly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
It all sounds correct to me, except a small point about the Serbian retreat. When the victorious Austrian army advances into Serbia, the country is conquered so only one of the two spent armies would remain in Albania (all other armies of a conquered country are removed). The remaining army is permanently spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
justnord wrote:
Hi folks,

While I'm at it, a few other quick questions:

--In my playthrough the Austrians fought against the Serbs and caused both Serbian armies to flip to the Spent side. Am I right to say that, at the start of the game, there's no way for these armies to flip back? The WA can't lend them PPs, and they have no production of their own. Later, once Greece is available, I see that the WA could lend 1 PP via the Greek port, but at the start this isn't an option, correct?

--Later, the Austrians attack the Serbs again, and this time trigger a retreat since both Serbian armies are spent. Serbia doesn't have the option to cancel the retreat, since it's not defending a flag or a home production space. So these armies must retreat and their only possible location is Albania. Once there, however, they can't attack because they're spent. But it's a good idea to station an Austrian army in Serbia nevertheless, because the Serbs could be flipped if/when Greece enters the war. Austria should either force another Serbian retreat, which would permanently eliminate the Serbs, or at least defend the spot.

Does the above sound correct?

Anything involving Serbia and Greece has been covered numerous times already since Greece has the most complex rules in the game (based around if this happens or that happens)

I'm currently playing my first proper playthrough after a couple of practice runs and am currently about to start turn 10 (I play a turn a day ) In a nutshell based on what I understand once a nation is conquered, so in this case Serbia its two armies can never be refitted, one is permanently eliminated and the other is forced to retreat as spent of course to either Greece or Albania depending on game state (again a number of queries on what is correct here) in my case I retreated the Serbs to Albania despite the fact that Salonika was open as it felt the historically correct thing to do and they stayed in Albania for quite a few turns and finally I moved them to Greece when Greece became a member of the TE and when Greece took its first hit, I had Greece absorb Serbia to save a point much like the situation that occurs with Belgium earlier in the game.

I haven't been playing wargames that long but what I have discovered its almost impossible to cover every rule and contingency before you start playing but as Irish not Kraut said you really should get back to the rulebook ad iron out any doubts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much, folks. I'm learning more about this game so I can play with friends and the info on Greece and permanent elimination of armies is very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.