Subject: SA Scoring / OAS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
I was playing a game last night and my USSR opponent played all of NTB into Colombia in an otherwise empty South America. I thought two things, first, that that seemed dumb, and second, that he had SA scoring. I played OAS immediately into Venezuela, and he managed to realign me out at 0.

Should I have played one to Ven and one to Arg instead? I didn't want him to just dump it in that case for -2, but I also didn't want to give him access to Ven if I could avoid it. If he had taken Ven next turn I could certainly fill Brazil and Arg still to prevent domination.

Also, is that play as bad as it appears? I assume placing with one op and then counter couping with NTB would be better regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miyares
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were in your situation, assuming DEFCON was at 2, I would have used OAS into Brazil and Argentina/Chile. That gives me access to all 4 Battlegrounds, while USSR has only access to Venezuela.

As for his play, I wouldn't call it an ideal way to get into S. America, bu t assuming DeStal wasn't coming out anytime soon, it's not bad. With 4 in Columbia, you'd need to spend at least 3 ops to have better than a 50/50 chance of completely eliminating his influence, with the added caveat that a coup would leave him open to counter-coup. After all, if he placed one op, and a coup rolled high, even NTB might not be enough to get it back if the dice weren't with him. At least with this gambit, he makes you reliant on lady luck. Not to mention, if he controls Panama, that's not likely to be a favorable realignment target anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haytil Reivesman
msg tools
There are merits to both plays.

Splitting up OAS is the long-term play. It sacrifices 2 points or potentially cedes a battleground to your opponent in order to get three battlegrounds yourself.

If you need the points (to push you over the edge or prevent him from going over the edge), obviously you don't split up OAS. If you can afford the short-term point loss, then you probably split up OAS.

Also, if your opponent doesn't have other non-battlegrounds exposed in the third world, leaving Colombia alone gives you a potential coup target for military ops later on in the game if needed. So there's an argument against just couping in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miyares
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haytil wrote:
There are merits to both plays.

Splitting up OAS is the long-term play. It sacrifices 2 points or potentially cedes a battleground to your opponent in order to get three battlegrounds yourself.

If you need the points (to push you over the edge or prevent him from going over the edge), obviously you don't split up OAS. If you can afford the short-term point loss, then you probably split up OAS.

Also, if your opponent doesn't have other non-battlegrounds exposed in the third world, leaving Colombia alone gives you a potential coup target for military ops later on in the game if needed. So there's an argument against just couping in.

Right, but if you need the short-term points, I wouldn't put it in Venezuela. USSR could realign at 0, given control of Columbia. Much safer to put 2 in Argentina; denies a short-term SA scoring, and forces a long game if USSR then goes for Venezuela.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
Why Argentina vs Brazil? I do like the idea of denying the -2 scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChipsAhoya wrote:

I'm guessing with the idea of taking Chile, to make each protected at +2; Chile also has the higher stability. USSR can get to Chile with Allende, and can respond by taking Venezuela from Colombia.

If you want to get three BG's from Brazil, you have to go through Uruguay, which is a coupable 2-stability country.

It is a lot of ops though; if Allende is out there you'd probably want both Chile and Argentina at 3/0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ChipsAhoya wrote:

Brazil has a stability of 3, Argentina a stability of 2. The influence from OAS isn't enough to control Brazil outright and the USSR player could score SA before you have the opportunity to put the 1 into it.

Also, Allende is around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Necr0mancer wrote:
ChipsAhoya wrote:

Brazil has a stability of 3, Argentina a stability of 2. The influence from OAS isn't enough to control Brazil outright and the USSR player could score SA before you have the opportunity to put the 1 into it.

Also, Allende is around.

In my version the only 3-stability in SA is Chile. Brazil is 2-stability.

My thought was, Argentina 2*/0 with OAS. USSR can only realign at -1. Then if you get Chile to 3*/0, realigns are -2, but Argentina is vulnerable to a coup (or eventual Allende adjacency), hence wanting it to be at least 3/0. Hopefully, you end up with SA staying even for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
In my version the only 3-stability in SA is Chile. Brazil is 2-stability.

Eh, going off of memory, got Chile and Brazil confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
If you think he's got SA scoring, then you made the right decision. If you think he doesn't, then splitting seems better to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mb
MichaelVal wrote:
If you think he's got SA scoring, then you made the right decision. If you think he doesn't, then splitting seems better to me.

how are you trading off the increased realignment risk with the shot at locking him out of the battlegrounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
Should I have played one to Ven and one to Arg instead?

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.