Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Beaven
New Zealand
Havelock North
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the kickstarter and the name popped up in a reddit thread recently. I've been playing the Steam version (and even taught a few people on Tabletop Simulator) and enjoying it greatly so I'm considering purchasing a hard copy of OR.

All my games so far have been 2 player though. Is this primarily a 2 player which "can play more", or do more players add more depth?

It's hard to pick a price point - gets expensive when adding on an expansion (or both) especially with shipping across the world (to NZ).

Also, does anyone know if both expansions identical except for the colours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Basic set, 4 player, 6‽
In my estimation, it's primarily a two-player game to which you can add more. Both expansions are identical aside from the colours, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the expansions just add two new colored decks so you can play with two more players (and more army cards, I believe, to support the additional players).

I've played a fair amount on my iPad, and I think the multiplayer game is a very different beast than 2p, because you have to be conservative and political in your efforts to unhorse each other player -- or else you kill one guy and then the other guy kills you while you're overextended. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing online, I find the 4 player almost better than 2. There is some serious backstabbing going on!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game scales well from 2 up to 4, but you don't want to use the same deck in a 2-player that you might use in a 4-player game. I have heard that 5 and 6 players really drags the game and it becomes pretty random, but haven't played at either of those numbers.

I found that the way the game changes from 2 to 3 and from 3 to 4 was refreshing. It's a completely different feel and psychological challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R.
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 3 is the sweet spot - a 2P game is too easily won by a lucky draw (at least with certain decks) while 4P is similar to 3P but longer. 2P feels qualitatively different from 3/4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beaven
New Zealand
Havelock North
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies people, the base set + 1 expansion probably my next buy...

Actually why wait. Let's just do this.

Quote:
Your order is confirmed
We've accepted your order, and we're getting it ready. A confirmation email has been sent. Come back to this page for updates on your order status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.