BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: In print family Euro or next step Euro rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josephine Tadlock
United States
flag msg tools
Hi,

My family is getting more into gaming. I would like to own one good Euro, but hopefully one that my family will play with me.
Games we've played:
Kingdom Builder - we thought it was ok
Agricola family edition - we enjoyed this, I liked the building aspect here
Discoveries - my husband and daughter liked it, it was just ok for me

Games I'm considering:

Castles of Burgundy - board looks boring though
Orleans
Notre Dame - not back in print yet
Kraftwagen

Is it me or is there not many lighter to mid-weight Euros in print?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your looking at castles of burgundy but think it looks bad you should check out grand Austria hotel.

Kraftwagen is very cool, has some similarities to glen more(same designer) which might be my favourite game.

Orleans is very good as well.

Also,

Rococo
Concordia
Bruxelles 1893
And more but I have a headache so I can't think hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles is a fantastic game even if the boards and the tiles are slightly dated. Should be an inexpensive find though.

I always recommend Power Grid. Such a good game!

-m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: I live in Aus and have very little idea of what will be available where you are. Apologies if any of these are out of print!

Definitely check out Rococo (try searching for Rokoko if you're having trouble finding it online) and Orléans.

I always want to recommend Grand Austria Hotel, but it's better with fewer players (i.e. 2), just because of the downtime.

Maybe Lewis & Clark, if the family enjoys Discoveries. It should be different enough to own both...

Evolution is a fun card game that's easy to pick up, though it could be a bit lighter than what you're looking for.

I think Colosseum's reprint is coming out soon, so keep an eye out for it. Very fun, simple Euro with a great theme.

Deus is a good weight. There's a recent expansion as well.

Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy has an interesting theme. You'll need a lot of table space for the family trees though!

First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express! is a recent release. Could be a little heavier than you're looking for right now, but has great replayability and is a really interesting game.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the following:
Castles of Mad King Ludwig build your own little castle.
Concordia next print run is coming out in April according to the latest info from the publisher. Very popular game.
Stone Age - great worker placement and dice rolling game

Check out www.boardgameprices.com They compare prices at lots of online retailers, including amazon to let you know the best deal and availability. For instance, Stone Age is only available on Amazon or Coolstuffinc. Amazon will charge you $72 but at CSI it is $42.

If you are looking for a bargain that is good with 3-5 players, check out Chicago Express. $16 on amazon currently, and a good game. (Just got it myself and have played it twice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Smith
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game this would be a good add to the bunch as it is very inexpensive and 90% similar to the original game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sablesapphire wrote:
Hi,

My family is getting more into gaming. I would like to own one good Euro, but hopefully one that my family will play with me.
Games we've played:
Kingdom Builder - we thought it was ok
Agricola family edition - we enjoyed this, I liked the building aspect here
Discoveries - my husband and daughter liked it, it was just ok for me

Games I'm considering:

Castles of Burgundy - board looks boring though
Orleans
Notre Dame - not back in print yet
Kraftwagen

Is it me or is there not many lighter to mid-weight Euros in print?

Castles of Burgundy is absolutely wonderful, though I agree the board is boring. Only seats 4, but it's easily in my top 5 games I've ever played.

Consider Viticulture Essential Edition as well, though, which seats up to 6 very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mentat1231 wrote:

Castles of Burgundy is absolutely wonderful, though I agree the board is boring. Only seats 4, but it's easily in my top 5 games I've ever played.

Consider Viticulture Essential Edition as well, though, which seats up to 6 very well.

I agree with all of this. Viticulture is quit excellent, and complete opposite end of the spectrum from CoB in terms of aesthetics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josephine Tadlock
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you all for the replies. I'll definitely be looking into all these. I guess I could have mentioned that my daughter has liked just about anything we've played but my son, who is 14, is not as easily swayed. I don't think Rococo would work for him. That's one reason I was looking at Kraftwagen.
I'm not sure Viticulture would be an interesting theme for him but the 6 players for Viticulture would be a plus since sometimes we get together with my sister who really dragged us into gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Welcome, Josephine!

Have you tried any of the Ticket to Ride games? My favorite is Ticket to Ride: Europe. I think they make amazing family Euro games. They have a bit of a building aspect, but you're building a railroad network rather than a farm or a castle.

There's also Above and Below where you're building a village, and it has a quite unusual and enjoyable "choose your own adventure" exploration system.

I quite like Roll for the Galaxy, where players are racing to build up the most prosperous space empire.

The reason I mention each of these games is because my significant other isn't much of a gamer, but is willing to play these games, so maybe your reluctant 14-year-old will as well! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Castles of Burgundy, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Orleans, and Roll for the Galaxy

Also Elysium is fairly simple game to learn but has some depth with strategy.

And Shakespeare is a pretty good middle weight Euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elena Litovka
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sablesapphire wrote:
Thank you all for the replies. I'll definitely be looking into all these. I guess I could have mentioned that my daughter has liked just about anything we've played but my son, who is 14, is not as easily swayed. I don't think Rococo would work for him. That's one reason I was looking at Kraftwagen.
I'm not sure Viticulture would be an interesting theme for him but the 6 players for Viticulture would be a plus since sometimes we get together with my sister who really dragged us into gaming.

I'm not sure it is a euro, but what about Galaxy Trucker? It is easy, funny and can appeal to a teenager. Also, I believe, Champions of Midgard would fit, although, I know nothing about their availability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josephine Tadlock
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks, K S.

Actually, yes we have tried Ticket to Ride the standard. I think we all liked it but wasn't entrhalled with it.

I had looked at Above and Below. I was thinking that might be a game to look at in the near future as is Roll for the Galaxy. We already have King of Tokyo, Pandemic, and Forbidden Desert that he likes so I was really trying to pick something I wanted but that would have some appeal to him also.

I do like the look of Power Grid but I was worried the math I had read about in the game wouldn't be fun for the kids.

I was excited this morning. We played Isle of Trains last night and this morning at breakfast he actually said that he would have a strategy the next time we played. Yay!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josephine Tadlock
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks, Kate, for the suggestion of First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express. It is definitely in the running for our next board game.

I think the weightiest game we tried to play was Dead of Winter that we borrowed from my sister. With all the setup and rules, we didn't make it to a second play so I am hesitant to look at anything much weightier than that.

Also, a game with a beautiful board and meeples would also be a plus and was also looking for a game with little negative interaction.

Also, also, my sister just bought Castles of Mad King Ludwig so I'm sure we could borrow that at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the MATH of Power Grid...

The math is essential only if you want t be predictive and reactive and want to maximize the game. There is also the GOOD kind of math... adding up values of cities and connections to get the best value of a move is a good way to reinforce math skills without being over taxing.

I want this city, 10 points plus the 16 connector plus 3+3+4 for the oil... do I have the money? Or should I skip that city and build over here with one city 10 and two connectors of 4 and 12 and maybe save money for next turn and not buy any oil this turn and only power 5 cities instead of 7???

Taking it slow and not trying to kill the kids does make this a less heavy math game, but still keeps math and reasoning with math kinda fun!

BUT... it certainly is a step up in gaming strategy. Not a game for everyone. I think it has a unique place in my collection that hasn't been taken over by any other game.

In the line of Roccoco is my wife's first favorite game after ticket to ride... Fresco. We played that a LOT!

Finally, those were just a few thoughts. Do NOT get power grid if you think you won't like it. find a local game store and see if they have an open copy they'd let you try. Heck, we first played it checked out from a library!

Or, if you are near D.C. Feel free to take any game off my shelf!

-m
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
I quite like Roll for the Galaxy, where players are racing to build up the most prosperous space empire.

I can't speak on how well it will appeal to a 14-year-old, but we really enjoy Roll as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

+1 Stone Age
+1 Orléans
+1 Viticulture

Also:
Airlines Europe
Via Nebula
Ra

Just played Ulm and it may be a little advanced, but quick playing and can be good for family euro.

I would NOT recommend these two for starting out:
Rococo
Bruxelles 1893

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josephine Tadlock
United States
flag msg tools
Argh. Not sure what to pick, but I think we'll try to play Fresco and Airlines Europe this weekend with my sister. Maybe that will help me narrow it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.