Patrik
Germany
Garching bei München
Bayern
flag msg tools
The latest update (No. 14) talks a bit more in-depth about the clans, their abilities and possible strategies. You can find the update here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/rising-su...

I am happy that there seem to be multiple avenues, as I was initially suspecting that each clan has a certain way of playing and thus the game could feel "rail-roaded" to a certain degree. This update made me a lot more hopeful! What do you guys think? I am also really looking forward to hear more about the two missing clans with honor 5 & 8 respectively!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you change your honor level throughout the game? Also, it's odd that you have to sit around the table based on your honor level... not sure I am going to like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McKittrick
United States
California
flag msg tools
You can change your honor level (through Kami prayer and seppuku, and perhaps other ways?), and the seating is only for the first round. After that it remains clockwise for the duration of the game, regardless of honor (unless I am misunderstanding).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not like the CMON Police are going to kick down your door if you sit somewhere else. The page says turn order is established at the start of the game and never changes. So you'd just have to figure it out once and repeat until the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can easily set up the game without having to force people to change their seating order. Once everyone is seated, choose a starting player using any method you like. Then randomly choose clan sheets equal to the number of players. Finally, starting with your selected starting player, hand out the clan sheets in clockwise order from lowest to highest honor value. Boom! Everyone is where they need to be and ready to play, and all butts remain seated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just that the clans should be played in order:

Koi first, then Lotus, then Bonsai, Dragonfly and Turtle. The order you pick matters for the gameplay and balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
Can you change your honor level throughout the game? Also, it's odd that you have to sit around the table based on your honor level... not sure I am going to like that.

Honor changes often. If you watch the gameplay video you can move honor for at least the following:

-The Kami Amaterasu (Max Honor)
-Seppuku in Battle(+1 spot per figure killed?)
-Betrayal Mandate (Min Honor)
-Using Upgrade cards like NINJAS (-1 Spot)

That said, turn order is fixed at the start and never changes BUT the player who goes first in a Season may change. Turn order isn't that big a deal to me, but it appears to be one of the balancing factors CMON considered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Youll notice there is not currently a clan with honor 4. Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still a little confused about the Fox Clan's ability. Does a battle have to take place (two opposing sides) for their bushi to appear? Or is it all the territories where a battle can take place, even if only 1 player, (or for some reason no one,) has units there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod P.
El Salvador
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanKD wrote:

6th player expansion for non-kickstarters?

so you would have a total of 7 clans to choose from?

interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost every thread has discussion that we know a retail Clan expansion is going to be an add-on. Almost certainly the big add-on for next week. The game is not going to be 6 player for KS backers only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Very happy with this update. I like it when simple strategy articles are released for a game as it gives me more info to send to my gamegroup to prepare them for playing a new game.

I also noticed that a clan with honor 4 is missing, and it makes me think it is likely another clan will be released before the end of the campaign. If this happens CMON can you update this article and resend it to backers... it is a great little intro to the clan special abilities.

This update rekindled my excitement for Rising Sun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bigsixer wrote:

I actually adore this, taking a seat where you clan is. This is very thematic as in most asian countries you have a seating arrangement at tables. Specially in formal settings. (where a guest(s) sits, a host sits etc.)

Though I CMON could simply put 6/8 players makers to show the order of play. Though this wouldn't ever get changed as far as I get it from explanations so far. The only thing that can change is the startplayer for the next season. But the actual play-order will always be the same.

Though I am very interested to see how clan selection goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it is simpler, next season begins with who would be the next player to pick.

In a 3-player game , you would go
player 1
player 2
player 3
Kami 1
player 1
player 2
Kami 2
player 3
player 1 again.
Kami 3
War

Player 2 would begin age 2.

as for clans play a big role in playstyle and they feel really different when you play them. It was a very clear directive from Eric when we were asking for balance issues and trying to nerf/change some of the clan powers , the question always was : "do they feel different and powerful enough?" "how bland is this?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik
Germany
Garching bei München
Bayern
flag msg tools
DanKD wrote:

There is no clan with a starting honour level of 5. The current order of the clans is:

No - Clan - Province - Ability
1 - Koi - Edo - Coins are ronin
2 - Lotus - Nagato - Mandate flexibility
3 - Bonsai - Kyushu - Buys are free
4 - Dragonfly - Hokkaido - Move anywhere
5 - UNKNOWN
6 - Fox - Kansai - Summon a bushi at start of battles without your presence
7 - Turtle - Kyoto - Stronghold has force and can move
8 - UNKNOWN

As you can see from the map, there are 8 regions in total, and as such I personally presume 8 clans in total to exist. As such, I think that the presumed optional buy will contain two clans, starting in their respective regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maebon wrote:
I'm still a little confused about the Fox Clan's ability. Does a battle have to take place (two opposing sides) for their bushi to appear? Or is it all the territories where a battle can take place, even if only 1 player, (or for some reason no one,) has units there?

From the update "At the start of each Battle, summon a Bushi to that province if you have no Force there."
For a battle to take place, it has to start. If a battle starts, then it is taking place. A battle cannot get started in an uncontested province. (At least until the official rules get booked.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FakeDutch wrote:
Actually, it is simpler, next season begins with who would be the next player to pick.

player 1
player 2
player 3
Kami 1
player 1
player 2
Kami 2
player 3
player 1 again.
Kami 3
War

as for clans play a big role in playstyle and they feel really different when you play them. It was a very clear directive from Eric when we were asking for balance issues and trying to nerf/change some of the clan powers , the question always was : "do they feel different and powerful enough?" "how bland is this?"

And...Player 3 would start age 3. Interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FakeDutch wrote:

player 1
player 2
player 3
Kami 1
player 1
player 2
Kami 2
player 3
player 1 again.
Kami 3
War

This really makes me want some kind of "active player" token that gets passed around. Within a Season, it won't be too bad, but between Kami 3 of one Season and the started of the next Season, there is a long War phase, where you could easily lose track of who played the last turn of the previous Season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kpishnery wrote:
FakeDutch wrote:

player 1
player 2
player 3
Kami 1
player 1
player 2
Kami 2
player 3
player 1 again.
Kami 3
War

This really makes me want some kind of "active player" token that gets passed around. Within a Season, it won't be too bad, but between Kami 3 of one Season and the started of the next Season, there is a long War phase, where you could easily lose track of who played the last turn of the previous Season.

I could definitely see that as being a (probably exclusive) stretch goal. Perhaps a fan or a katana miniature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thelegitsandman wrote:
FakeDutch wrote:

player 1
player 2
player 3
Kami 1
player 1
player 2
Kami 2
player 3
player 1 again.
Kami 3
War

And...Player 3 would start age 3. Interesting

7 mandates played each round. Prime number means every round has a different player playing first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.