SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: We had two people quit - now what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mister Malty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
We were playing a game with 4 people (two couples), and after we opened box 4 last night, one couple decided to quit.

What should we do? Can we continue playing with 2 people? Should we try and start over or get someone else to join?

Also, of the two people remaining, one is over 20 points ahead.

Just wondering if anyone had experienced a similar situation and how they dealt with it. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Haney
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

that sucks. why did they quit on you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some have done a campaign with 2 and report it being pretty decent (though very resource-rich). Check out the "variants" forum for some ideas if you want to make it more like a multi-player.

If you have another couple, you might want to invite them to try it -- maybe do a non-stickery game to see how they like it first?

The stickers peel pretty well, so you might be able to "reset" your board. Check out the PbF forums which have lists of what's in which box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a replacement player or two, that is likely to be the best case. If you can't, it's possible to continue as a 2-player campaign. It might be worth considering one of the 2p variants in the variant section of this forum, since a 2p game is likely to feel a lot less tight than you're used to.

I'm not sure that the score matters as much -- after all, the score difference is the same as before the other two players left, right? That said, one last option if you go on as a 2p game -- if the lower-scoring player feels disadvantaged, he might consider taking over one of the other two factions (assuming one or both is in batter shape).

Bottom line: if you're having fun, don't give up! Try to find replacements, or play with what you have!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
PootJenkins wrote:
why did they quit on you?

Quote:
Also, of the two people remaining, one is over 20 points ahead.

surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where do you live... I'm in! (You provide airfare) Love this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Malty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Haha-we are in Chicago.
The two people who quit did so because they felt the game was way too slanted and unfair towards exploring, and they left after every game feeling frustrated.

At this point, mostly wondering if we can continue two people without them, and still be fine, or if we should just get a new bird and start over the two of us. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matherts wrote:
We were playing a game with 4 people (two couples), and after we opened box 4 last night, one couple decided to quit.

What should we do?

I am not a lawyer, but I believe that if you murdered them, you would be the one at fault. I know, it doesn't seem fair, but the law does not see board game abandonment as justifying homicide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No body, no crime.

Eat them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yea, but the bones...... laugh (Too Many Bones!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Carpenter
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Our folks won't quit, but have definitely grumbled about the Exploring being so heavily slanted. It's tough, because they're right in a sense, at least so far in the campaign (I have faith things can change) but the two who aren't as into it are way behind and part of the blame does seemingly lie with the fact that they have balanced their approaches in the first 9 games, and they aren't as focused on exploration as our current leader.

Folks are carting cubes back and forth and building buildings, and then you look up and homie who hasn't used the merchants guild in months is discovering his second island and winning his third game in a row. He's placed all but two of the post-prologue islands.

Easy enough to say we should recognize it and catch up but it ain't that easy with the incremental progress. We thought the game was giving us a lot of paths to competing but if someone puts all their efforts into creating an explore machine early on and nobody else does, it does seem to get lopsided in a hurry.

That said, it's a campaign and you gotta stick it out. I would say we've actually structurally caught up to him now and he hasn't clinched the campaign victory or anything like that. But if I had to describe it to someone who was about to start I'd probably tell 'em that in general it's an exploration focused game. That's probably a flaw, in the sense that that person might go on to similarly dominate their crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
In our game the raid engine and the economy engine are driving things right now. I have the explore engine, but I'm having some truly terrible dice rolls or am having things sniped after I open them up. But I'm trooping on hoping that I'll find things to even the score...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game is playqable and enjoyable as a 2P game. I would however suggest that for every 10 points behind the Prince, the Duke gets an enmity token from him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or an enmity token all the time - which would be in keeping with the Prince giving enmity to the last-place players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(PSN) SilentSniper_X_
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Willottica wrote:
Or an enmity token all the time - which would be in keeping with the Prince giving enmity to the last-place players.

Its actually each person gets an enmity token from everyone above them isn't directly above them. If the Prince gave the duke an enmity token then the duke would need to give the countess an enmity token and the countess would need to give the baron a token and the baron would need to give the lord a token. And if that happened the prince could never raid a treasure room, which needs to be able to happen or the prince could possibly get locked out of the back third of the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JRosen9 wrote:
Willottica wrote:

Its actually each person gets an enmity token from everyone above them isn't directly above them. If the Prince gave the duke an enmity token then the duke would need to give the countess an enmity token and the countess would need to give the baron a token and the baron would need to give the lord a token. And if that happened the prince could never raid a treasure room, which needs to be able to happen or the prince could possibly get locked out of the back third of the game

I think they were talking about the special case of the 2-p game, not necessarily as a general change. In the 2-p game, the second player is also the last player, and in a 3+ player game, the last player gets enmity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.