5 Posts

Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » Rules

Subject: Band of Misfits + Death Cart rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johanna Hautala
msg tools
Hello,

tonight we were wondering what to do when we play Band of Misfits as Death Cart. Since you don't actually take the Death Cart card I suppose you don't have to take those 2 ruins but it sounds slightly OP that I can get the +5 money without penalty. Well, of course if you don't have any other action cards you'll have to destroy Band of Misfits but still... temporarily +5 money with a card that costs only 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
art vandelay
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good combo, but you still have to trash an action card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosumi wrote:
Hello,

tonight we were wondering what to do when we play Band of Misfits as Death Cart. Since you don't actually take the Death Cart card I suppose you don't have to take those 2 ruins but it sounds slightly OP that I can get the +5 money without penalty. Well, of course if you don't have any other action cards you'll have to destroy Band of Misfits but still... temporarily +5 money with a card that costs only 5?
But there is a penalty...

--it takes an action to play it (contrast to Treasures of course)
--If you have to keep buying more BoM, then that's 1 Buy and $5 coins you'll need to commit per instance, buys and coins that could've gone towards other cards, so there's that 'opportunity cost'.
--oh, and the BoM costs $1 more than the actual Death Cart itself, so that doesn't necessarily make it always better than the Death Cart + the 2 Ruins you gain from Buying it.

OK, "a penalty" wasn't exactly precise, but you get the idea
Yes, as a "windfall push", it's nice to get to higher cost cards. But it needs to be replaced, and not a permanent fixture in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Dominion-land, we call that a "cool combo".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth noting that gaining 2 Ruins when you gain a Death Cart isn't strictly a penalty. The Ruins give you action cards that you can trash when you play the Death Cart; otherwise you would need to trash a good card that you'd rather keep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.