Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: REQUEST: Video Tutorial rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good evening fellow cultists!

I'm totally new to this game and I was wondering if there is any good video tutorial to learn the basics.
I'm a visual type, and the rulebook seems chaotic to me. Of course, I tried to look for videos here on BGG as well as on YouTube, but it looks like most of them goes straight into the middle of things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
sorgur wrote:
Good evening fellow cultists!

I'm totally new to this game and I was wondering if there is any good video tutorial to learn the basics.
I'm a visual type, and the rulebook seems chaotic to me. Of course, I tried to look for videos here on BGG as well as on YouTube, but it looks like most of them goes straight into the middle of things...

Have you tried FFG's tutorial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, FFG's 2 videos was the first to watch.
However, just like all the other videos I found, this one also assumes that the player already knows the basics.
I need more of a "From zero" type video. This far, almost every game I was looking for tended to have such tutorials.
It's just strange that this game doesn't have one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
I'm will be trying to launch a Online Call of Cthulhu League soon, and part of that plan is to make a detailed tutorial on the game. I am not sure when it will happen though. Still there will be a video soon(ish)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TragicTheBlathering wrote:
I'm will be trying to launch a Online Call of Cthulhu League soon, and part of that plan is to make a detailed tutorial on the game. I am not sure when it will happen though. Still there will be a video soon(ish)

Now, that's some great news! I truly hope that "soon(ish)" means in the near future.
Now that I have it, I'm eager to play this game, but unfortunately I don't have anybody around me to get them teach me how to do things...

By the way, there is another Lovecraftian card game that really should get a decent video tutorial, namely: Mythos.
Literally, no video exists of it on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
sorgur wrote:
However, just like all the other videos I found, this one also assumes that the player already knows the basics.
I need more of a "From zero" type video. This far, almost every game I was looking for tended to have such tutorials.

It's been a long time since I learned this game, but I think I did it from the FFG video and rulebook, and I don't remember feeling like they were assuming I knew things I didn't. What basics do you think the FFG tutorial assume you already know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
sorgur wrote:

It's been a long time since I learned this game, but I think I did it from the FFG video and rulebook, and I don't remember feeling like they were assuming I knew things I didn't. What basics do you think the FFG tutorial assume you already know?

Well, maybe it's just me, but while other FFG videos of games I like (Mansions of Madness, Elder Sign, Arkham Horror: The Card Game, Lord of the Rings, etc.) are step-by-step tutorials with detailed explanations, when I watched these 2 videos I already lost it somewhere in the first one and basically I had no idea about anything in the second...
I went through the rulebook 3 times, and I can't say it's impossible to learn the basics from it, but as I said I'm a visual type, so I need to see the game actually played & explained.
Anyway, I will take a look at the FFG videos once more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
sorgur wrote:
By the way, there is another Lovecraftian card game that really should get a decent video tutorial, namely: Mythos.

Mythos is the original Chaosium Inc card game that was redesigned as the Call of Cthluhu Collectible Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go Jira
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorgur wrote:

Mythos is the original Chaosium Inc card game that was redesigned as the Call of Cthluhu Collectible Card Game.

About the only thing CoC and Mythos have in common are that they are card games, and are based on Lovecraft. Otherwise, they are very different beasts.

In fact, CoC is just a simpler and rethemed version of AGoT ccg. Even a lot of the CoC cards still use the "kneeling" verbiage since they were basically copy pasted onto CoC cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
well, w/e.. it has been like 30 years or something from when I last played them about 15 form when I last took them out of storage.

My point is that the game was basically a fail, and discontinued when the concept was redesigned as Call of Cthluhu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Mythos, and I thought the mechanics were cumbersome and the card designs were ugly.

CoC LCG, on the other hand, was a keeper, and has centuries worth of play left in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Carthoris wrote:
I've played Mythos, and I thought the mechanics were cumbersome and the card designs were ugly.

CoC LCG, on the other hand, was a keeper, and has centuries worth of play left in it.

Well it came from D&D.. there was a cool game called "Three-Dragon Ante", which was a card game invented "inside" the D7D universe that was the game of the realm, as in a role playing way.. not as a separate game.

The game was so good that it spawned an actual official version (plus expansion).

Mythos was Chaosizum's attempt at doing this same thing. Shadow Run also released a card game if I remember right around this same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the things I particularly like about CoC is the simplicity of its phases.

There are technically six phases, but unlike most strategic card games, with the exception of two phases (Operations and Story), you're basically only doing one or two simple things for all the others.

Even the Operations phase is pretty straight froward. Drain a domain to play a card. With the exception of zero-cost cards, you're generally restricted to playing a maximum of three resource-costing cards/effects from the start of your turn to the start of your next turn.

Now the Story phase is a whole different animal. We only play CoC casually and not very frequently, and both of us tend to get struck with analysis paralysis at times during the Story phase. The variables of what could happen depending on which characters you commit to which stories and which characters they might be able to oppose with (not to mention unknowns like effects played from hand) can be dizzying.

In short, I think CoC is an inherently simple game with devilishly difficult decisions ... which is the best kind of game in my view.

In an attempt to actually be helpful, perhaps the best thing to do would be to state where you are and see if there are any other players in your near vicinity who would be willing to walk you through some learning games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
DreadFool wrote:
One of the things I particularly like about CoC is

CoC is still a tight and very awesome game imo. Though it can be rather brutal, a good deck can end you leaving a feeling of "well, how would I ever have a chance at that". This put a lot of weight on deck building and deck piloting.. another reason the game is so good, but also it can turn off new players.

I have a secret hope that Arkham Horror LCG may bring a revival of CoC. I have been playing the LoTR-LCG game form launch and on the LoTR-LCG forums about every few weeks you get a thread asking about if there is a variant where people can play 1v1.

With AH-LCG you can just say "grab CoC!".

AH-LCG is very popular and I believe this "may" lead to a host of new players and possibly a revival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AH-LCG is very popular and I believe this "may" lead to a host of new players and possibly a revival.

From your lips to His Tentacles!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
DreadFool wrote:
One of the things I particularly like about CoC is

CoC is still a tight and very awesome game imo. Though it can be rather brutal, a good deck can end you leaving a feeling of "well, how would I ever have a chance at that". This put a lot of weight on deck building and deck piloting.. another reason the game is so good, but also it can turn off new players.

I have a secret hope that Arkham Horror LCG may bring a revival of CoC. I have been playing the LoTR-LCG game form launch and on the LoTR-LCG forums about every few weeks you get a thread asking about if there is a variant where people can play 1v1.

With AH-LCG you can just say "grab CoC!".

I find deck building for CoC especially challenging. It's a lot harder to evaluate characters compared to other games where 'strength' or 'power' is a linear value - i.e. a 3 STR character is stronger than a 1 STR and would therefore likely cost more to play.

Skill is not linear and even being great at one or two challenge types might count for nothing if you can't first make it through a terror and/or combat struggle. Likewise, being a terror-inducing killing machine isn't going to achieve a lot if you can't succeed when you commit to a story.

Don't get me wrong, it's an enjoyable kind of difficult. I have about half of the available card pool and I'm already boggled by the options. It's a super deep game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going back to my original post, I think Mythos would still deserve a decent video tutorial/demonstration.
Arkham Horror: The Card Game has more then you could possibly watch in a year!
But as far as I know, Mythos was the first in the row, after all (as for a Lovecraftian card game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop it, you guys. You're making me regret selling my core set, even though I had nobody to play with and no time to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP:
If you can tell us what you find confusing we can certainly help explain it. As others have pointed out, the structure of the game is pretty basic. It's been a long time since I watched those videos but I thought they were pretty much starting from zero and not assuming any existing knowledge.

Start the game by drawing 8 cards (with mulligan). Keep 5, the other 3 become your starting domains, which you use to pay for playing cards. A domain with X cards in it can pay for a card of cost X or lower.

On your turn you first refresh your domains and ready your cards.

Then draw 2 cards (1 for the first player's first turn). You may optionally add one card from your hand to one of your domains as a resource. Generally you want to do this early on until you feel your domains are "big enough".

Then you can play Character and Support cards, these come into play ready to use immediately

Then the active player can commit characters to stories in whatever fashion he sees fit. The defending player can commit any of their ready characters to defend the stories that the active player went to. Exception: The first player cannot commit to stories on their first turn (because their opponent would have no opportunity to defend)

Now you resolve the struggles in order by counting icons. It is possible and normal for one player to win some struggles and the other player to win other ones, each struggle has its own separate reward.

Afterward all characters go home exhausted and the turn ends.

Actions (whether event cards or actions printed on cards in play) can be triggered almost anytime EXCEPT during story resolution.

As far as quality... I have tried all the LCGs and Cthulhu is still the best of them IMHO. This is basically why I no longer play competitive LCGs regularly anymore, when Cthulhu ended I spent a year or so trying other games and couldn't find anything good enough to take its place. I guess L5R will be our next chance, although it will be at least a year after launch before the card pool is large enough to make a decent judgement of the game - this is true with all LCGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the simplified summary!
Will come in handy as a quick reference.

In the meantime, I managed to find a forum and talk to a local Cultist who would take me under his wings.

As for my original post, my basic idea was to watch a video where rules are explained and then just see a few rounds played.
Whenever I come to a new game, this is my usual method of learning it.
Well, it looks like I will have a personal tutor now.
However, I think the game itself would still deserve a proper instruction/demonstration video.

Of course, should I ever get lost (be it in Time & Space or just in the game) I will return here with my question - as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be in good hands then with a local teacher. With any card game, it's always easier to learn from another person that to figure it out on your own as each game tends to have its own snags that people can get hung up on. Not necessarily because you don't know how the rules work, usually it's more about how to know what you ought to be doing.

For Cthulhu, the big ones seem to be ironically two opposite problems:

1. I can never commit to stories because my opponent will defend and hurt me, therefore nobody ever goes to stories and we just sit there

2. Nobody ever defends, so we just whoosh past each other with zero interaction. Therefore games are over very fast and Investigation is overpowered.

From this I think we can basically conclude that knowing when/where/how to contest stories is a big part of gameplay and the trickiest part to get the feel of how to do it reasonable well

Good luck and we'll be here if you ever have any other questions we can help with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.