Jeffrey Vierra
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer
()()()()()()()()()()()
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to purchase a copy of Dune, but I am confused by the different versions. What are the differences between versions? Is there an ideal version to get?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
The only real version, the original Avalon Hill, cannot be purchased except for seriously high prices. The retheme can be purchased but it is a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon Hill published 2 editions, commonly known as the "Worm" cover (with a picture of a giant sandworm on the box and the "Sting" cover (with a picture of people from the original Dune movie, including Sting's Feyd Rautha, on the box.) These two editions are essentially indistiguishable, except I think there were some very minor, almost unnoticeably re-worded rules in the 2nd edition.

Avalon Hill separately published two expansions at the time of the movie tie-in version -- The Duel and Spice Harvest. Both are separate optional add-ons to the game. (In my opinion, both are undesirable as games, but obviously good to own for completists.)

Jeux Descartes published a French edition in a larger box that combined the core game and both expansions. All of the components are in French, but it's the same game (if you leave out all the expansion stuff.)

Those are the only official versions of the game. There have been a lot of fan-made versions, including the 2 big graphic re-designs, the "Ilya" version and the "ScottE" version. I *think* you can still find the files for these online if you want to print and assemble your own version of the game. (They are both very, very nice, if you do it right.)

All of the above can only be bought if you are lucky to find someone selling on the secondary market. All are probably very expensive.

The responder above refers to a "re-theme", which is "Rex", published relatively recently by Fantasy Flight Games. It's not Dune, but it is probably 90% mechanically similar. The board and cards are quite different from Dune, and there were a number of rules tweaks, but it's obviously a descendant of Dune. You can still get this game pretty affordably.

Another descendant of Dune is "Battle for Baghdad", if you like a modern war theming. This game is also relatively hard to find now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Vierra
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer
()()()()()()()()()()()
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your responses. I own Rex. Regarding the worm cover vs the sting cover version. Which one would you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theorycraftist wrote:
Thank you for your responses. I own Rex. Regarding the worm cover vs the sting cover version. Which one would you recommend?

Depends on what you like better. Sting or Worms. Obviously I like worms. But if you turn on "Dream of the Blue Turtles" on endless shuffle while you play, you get the best of all worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a Decartes edition that includes the AH expansions. I believe the treachery cards are in French.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think there's really a difference in the Avalon Hill versions other than the box covers.

One thing to note, neither has rules printed on the treachery cards, just a title and art. You'll need a sheet to keep track if people aren't already familiar with them. (There are some differences from the Rex analogies.) The fan remakes usually rectify this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theorycraftist wrote:

I would say "whichever one you can get in better condition for less money." Personally, I *hate* the art on the Sting cover, but that absolutely has no effect on the game. As I said, the 2 versions are otherwise essentially indistinguishable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Dirt Cheap Dune" is also available in the files section. Why not try the game this way? If you love it, then buy a copy. Have a little patience and watch EBay. Copies come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime de Marcos
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it can be very confusing, especially if you have a look at the Files section here.

I think that the best is that you stick to the original game and rules, either the original English or the later French printings. You may also want to have a look at a FAQ file found here that includes some responses and clarifications from the authors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
Avalon Hill published 2 editions, commonly known as the "Worm" cover (with a picture of a giant sandworm on the box and the "Sting" cover (with a picture of people from the original Dune movie, including Sting's Feyd Rautha, on the box.) These two editions are essentially indistiguishable, except I think there were some very minor, almost unnoticeably re-worded rules in the 2nd edition.

Avalon Hill separately published two expansions at the time of the movie tie-in version -- The Duel and Spice Harvest. Both are separate optional add-ons to the game. (In my opinion, both are undesirable as games, but obviously good to own for completists.)

Jeux Descartes published a French edition in a larger box that combined the core game and both expansions. All of the components are in French, but it's the same game (if you leave out all the expansion stuff.)

Those are the only official versions of the game. There have been a lot of fan-made versions, including the 2 big graphic re-designs, the "Ilya" version and the "ScottE" version. I *think* you can still find the files for these online if you want to print and assemble your own version of the game. (They are both very, very nice, if you do it right.)

All of the above can only be bought if you are lucky to find someone selling on the secondary market. All are probably very expensive.

The responder above refers to a "re-theme", which is "Rex", published relatively recently by Fantasy Flight Games. It's not Dune, but it is probably 90% mechanically similar. The board and cards are quite different from Dune, and there were a number of rules tweaks, but it's obviously a descendant of Dune. You can still get this game pretty affordably.

Another descendant of Dune is "Battle for Baghdad", if you like a modern war theming. This game is also relatively hard to find now.

the sting cover isnt actually sting on the box but a lookalike. Same character though. Worm cover is one i own and its great looking even now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.