Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,
Does this rule make the rich "richer" and totally ruins you opponent chances?
What is the point of the rule?
I feel it rewards randomness too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
What is the point of the rule?

It encourages players to try and get the 20 point bonus by (a) trying to first get the lower valued cards and (b) by laying down one or more Handshake(?) cards. Both generally makes the player spend more time collecting the right cards and building up the expedition more slowly. However, (b) is particularly important, as it forces the player to decide whether it is really worth it to take the risk of waiting for 'enough' Handshake cards to show up or if they should just commit and start adding value cards to an expedition now.*

(* Remember that Handshake cards multiply the scoring of the expedition, also when the expedition yields negative points.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
It's a push your luck mechanism.

It's hard to get 8 cards of a color played; you generally have to give up on something else and/or take risks to make it happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with a Holger and Chris. It's not easy to achieve, and carries the risk of incompletion. Bascially, the player is hedging that he/she will get at least 8 cards in the suit, and that delay hoping to get another handshake or two can prove fatal to the goal.

We've never had a problem with the 8-caerd bonus rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Ok
I guess my issue with that rule is that, I actually always delay my expeditions to maximize the point I'll be doing.
So I gain the bonus without especially working for it, and I feel that i was always very well rewarded without it.
But ok I see how it can give values to small cards.

In the french rules I had, it says that you gain the bonus for more that 8 cards, instead of 8 or more. Is their more than one set of rules?

Let's see how it works when I'll be playing against a serious opponent. So far I played with my 7 years old daughter, so it might be biased.
Thanks for the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
chaps357 wrote:

Let's see how it works when I'll be playing against a serious opponent. So far I played with my 7 years old daughter, so it might be biased.
Thanks for the answers!

Sigh. Seriously?

Of course it's "easy" when you are playing against an opponent like that.

Does *she* ever get the 20 points?

Again, sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
We forgot this rule the first times we played and... Got used to it and never put it back again laugh

No problem with the game without this rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
In the french rules I had, it says that you gain the bonus for more that 8 cards, instead of 8 or more. Is their more than one set of rules?

The English rules from Kosmos say:
Kosmos' rules wrote:
• Furthermore, each column consisting of at least eight cards earns its owner a bonus of 20 points in addition to the number of points already determined, regardless of how many wager cards the column contains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
fnord23 wrote:
chaps357 wrote:

Thanks for the answers!

Sigh. Seriously?

Of course it's "easy" when you are playing against an opponent like that.

Does *she* ever get the 20 points?

Again, sigh.

Lol of course she does they know how to count you know
I actualy took this game to play with her Because it's random enough so she has a chance without me letting her win on purpose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bergquist
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words, you do NOT multiply the 20 point bonus....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BBergquist wrote:
In other words, you do NOT multiply the 20 point bonus....

That's correct. Page 3 of the English rules specifically states that the bonus is added after the multiplier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Frank
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
When counting the 8 cards, is that only the numbered cards? Or does it also include Wager cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickfrank wrote:
When counting the 8 cards, is that only the numbered cards? Or does it also include Wager cards?

All cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.