Sean Tipping
msg tools
EVERGREEN VALLEY

(UPDATED GAME BASED OF ORIGINAL CONCEPT - LEFT ORIGINAL IDEA FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES)

OVERVIEW

Evergreen Valley; a quiet suburban neighbourhood in paradise! No cars, noise or fossil fuels here! Life is a dream and humans have progressed to perfect society with a unique and calming blend of the natural and technological. Your future has only just begun. Welcome to Evergreen Valley!

A CARD GAME

Evergreen Valley is played as a singleplayer sandbox card game, each card represents an aspect of your world.

-Time
-Vitals
-Satisfaction
-Skills
-Jobs
-Objects
-Life Tokens

And more to come!

(Please note the game is handmade and will potentionally be distributed through print and play should enough interest be developed.)

(All images are prototype stage.)

TIME

The game is played through a series of turns, a time card manages this with 8 hours; 4 day, 4 night. Each hour corresponds to a turn.

VITALS

Similar to The Sims your character has needs and each day you are required to fulfill 3 mandatory vitals (Energy, Hunger & Bathroom) and 3 optional vitals. Non Vital fulfilling objects mostly required a certain level of vitals to be fulfilled in order to use. Vitals reset to 0 at 6am unless the last Vital fulfilled was energy.

SATISFACTION

A world with nothing but survival isn’t a little bland at best so your character wants to do satisfying activities and the more satisfied you are the more perks you unlock. Satisfaction goes up as a result of object card actions and automatically decrements by one each turn; it does NOT reset at night. At the higher levels you can gain vitals, life tokens and other perks.

SKILLS / JOBS

The prototype image above shows the Cooking skill in its early form. And next to it the Mining Job. Long story short you level up skills and occupations with Life Tokens. Each has 3 levels Bronze, Silver and Gold plus a base action.

Example: Mining by default gives 5 resource tokens as a result. If you level up however you gain the corresponding perk in addition each time you use that card. Mining on each level just gives you MORE resource tokens (the in game generic currency).

The same applies to skills which become more and more useful at the higher levels.

The current skills include:

-Cooking
-D.I.Y
-Cleaning

LIFE TOKENS

Life tokens are gained via a variety of actions, through skills and the higher levels of satisfaction. The tokens are used as a kind of progression currency and have no set use. Current implementations include leveling up skills and occupations etc. Future features will also utilise the tokens to give you sandbox gameplay.

OBJECTS

Last but not least we come to Objects. At the start of the game you are given a set number of resource tokens to spend on a little house and a few basics. Objects are pretty versatile and may have one or more action ‘Orbs’ which dictate effect such as increasing vitals, using skills, gaining life tokens etc. The Orb feature is used extensively to dictate gameplay and is incredibly versatile allowing for many combinations and of course entirely new orbs etc

FIMO CLAY MARKERS

All of the above doesn’t just work with cards and will be complimented with a variety of fimo clay markers (yet to be designed) which will be used to show progress and track various features of the game.

CONCLUSION

So there you have it, finally since starting to design the game concept back in March 2017 I’m very close to having a simple working prototype which is exciting! I will of course play test extensively myself and with friends but let me know what you think / further ideas! Going forward once I have the basic game finished I am intending to expand it adding features like weather, NPC’s and deeper skills.

ORIGINAL CONCEPT BELOW FOR REFERENCE

LIFE SQUARED (The logo uses the miniature 2.)

(Name updated to better reflect the concept!)

Overview:

Life Squared is a single player life simulation board game inspired loosely by The Sims video game franchise.

Features:

+Design your house layout & furnish it.
+Manage your personal alias’ life!
+Advance your alias’ skills through practise.
+Go to work to earn credits and expand your house further.
+Random events keep and progression elements keep the game experience fresh and unique each play through.
+Modular expandable design allows for features to be added once the base game is finished.

What does it look like?

+Early Prototype.

Old Logo.

The Game.

Thanks,

Nytician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corry Damey
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] The Mins! (Inspired by The Sims)
I've personally always loved the idea of there being a board game based on The Sims. The Pursuit of Happiness and CV are a couple games that I haven't played yet, but apparently to do a good job of recreating the experience of managing the life of a simulated character and growing them in their career, relationships, and life goals. I'd definitely look into those for some design inspiration.

From what I see of the prototype you're presenting, I love the actual spacial element of the home that players can manipulate. However (and I understand that you're probably in the beginning stages of designing), it seems that you have elements of what can be found in The Sims game without a way that they correspond with one another to a resolution or end game.

In The Sims, I love the fact that I can keep building onto a house, grow my relationships, and pursue my character's unique set of aspirations. And also that life is fraught with the dangers of being inexperienced, such as house fires as a terrible cook, slaps to the face when approaching a conversation without any charisma, or getting fired for not showing up to work. There need to be choices of priority and consequence. To a lesser degree, I would maybe invest in a mechanism that allows for some random encounters that you have to contend with using skills and money, but also toward the end of achieving what you're character has set out to do. Reading books to get raises at work to make more money to get more stuff sounds cool, but not if it's easy and only time-consuming.

I think you're onto something utilizing an actual living environment and the ability to manipulate your surroundings! I'm subscribed to see how your progress goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
Re: [WIP] The Mins! (Inspired by The Sims)
Thanks for your feedback!

The Pursuit of Happiness game looks really interesting to be sure! Might get it in the future, and take some inspiration from it too. Right now I'm looking into getting the basics down while keeping it interesting which is surprisingly easier said than done hah!

I figured customisability was essential to a game like this where possible hence the design your own house part.

Your points on the video game are all spot on and I'd like to implement those features in a way also. Character progression is going to be a focus so like you say skills can affect the outcome. Just trying to make it simple but deep in terms of gameplay options as I don't want it to be watered down.

A basic overview of what I've been working on today is the 'happiness' system whereby different actions will affect your Min like in real life. For example:

+ Your Min makes a meal. (Working on how to do this)
+ You gain 2 happiness points (on a sliding scale).
+ Your Min has a bladder token added which increments each hour to a maximum of 3 when you must take action.
+ Your Min gains cooking experience etc.

Unlike The Sims games however you don't have a 'need' scale, it's all directly reactive to your choices as in real life.

Each furniture token will be double sided showing you its cost, a unique identifier (for saving progress) and an action symbol which will link to a card explaining what to do. Theoretically creating a diverse multilayered experience.

All of this takes place in turns which take 1 'hour' on the time scale, moving forward the game.

Not much time to post pictures now but I'll update the thread with that soon and referring to your other points.

Thanks again!

Nytician.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
Re: [WIP] MINS VILLE! (Inspired by The Sims) UPDATE DEC 06
Good evening,

Been a while... you’d think I’d have the game completed by now eh but alas life is busy and so not so much haha. So without further ado here is the next update.

DECEMBER 06 2017

Been doing a lot of prototyping recently, to settle on making the game fun, deep and clutter free...

First primary change is the name; Mins Ville, as a small homage to the original spin off sim city project Sims Ville, but also cause it sounds homely without being a direct Sims rip off!

Currently the start of the game is pretty straight forward, you are given a set amount of credits which are used to buy furniture for your house, you then set up the ‘Needs’ and ‘Skills’ mats which provide basic round the house gameplay, allowing you to keep your Min alive and a small amount of progression.

Next up will be revising the way objects work and creating a basic house ‘mat’ template and from there allowing your Min to get a job so as to have a further aim to work towards!

Anyway no doubt the visuals make for a more interesting topic than a wall of text so here’s a few recent ones:

The current iteration in full:

(Apologies for the glare and floral tablecloth... not my choice haha!)

The objects:

The needs:

The skills:

Me :

Quick breakdown:

+All art used is place holder, the clay bits are fimo clay.
+Objects show the need increase/decrease in green/red respectively and also any skill gains.
+The needs currently have 3 levels, green, yellow, red and are Hunger, Hygiene, Sleep, Bladder and Entertainment plus one extra tab shown in red to display emotional state (angry, sad, happy etc)
+The skills tab shows four current skills, Cooking, House, Min and Knowledge which allow various perks and are increased by one each time you land on a certain object, you keep track with a d6 which once incremented to six will reset to one but you gain a badge level (copper, silver, gold etc)
+Time management is currently eight hour days combined with a day/night fimo piece, depending on the time you will decrement certain need counters (sleep goes down at night for example),

So there we have it, the game is currently in a very early but playable state and it’s actually pretty fun even in its raw form! Lots to add and I think having more of a goal to work towards such as a career and family will really start to make the game feel immersive.

As always your thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
Re: [WIP] MINS VILLE! (Inspired by The Sims) UPDATE DEC 15
Just a quick one!

Played a more complete prototype a few days back and while working exactly as intended found it lacked the ‘fun’ aspect haha... so back to the drawing board... literally!

From here out trying to decide what features are not fun to play with and which are and how to maximise those!

A few quick update picture of a basic prototype design whereby the user buys ‘rooms’ instead of objects and needs are replaced with a happiness stat bar which is used to progress the more interesting parts of life namely skills, careers, relationships etc

Opinions welcome!

Till next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
Re: [WIP] Evergreen Valley (Inspired by a The Sims) UPDATED JULY 12th
UPDATED TITLE THREAD. JULY 12th

EVERGREEN VALLEY

OVERVIEW

Evergreen Valley; a quiet suburban neighbourhood in paradise! No cars, noise or fossil fuels here! Life is a dream and humans have progressed to perfect society with a unique and calming blend of the natural and technological. Your future has only just begun. Welcome to Evergreen Valley!

A CARD GAME

Evergreen Valley is played as a singleplayer sandbox card game, each card represents an aspect of your world.

-Time
-Vitals
-Satisfaction
-Skills
-Jobs
-Objects
-Life Tokens

And more to come!

After many MANY prototypes and ideas... (who knew designing a game was so involved...) below is a quick demo of the evolution in art design and layout, ending up with the Mining card which while still prototype is pretty much the layout and style I’m aiming for.

(Please note the game is handmade and will potentionally be distributed through print and play should enough interest be developed.)

TIME

The game is played through a series of turns, a time card manages this with 8 hours; 4 day, 4 night. Each hour corresponds to a turn.

VITALS

Similar to The Sims your character has needs and each day you are required to fulfill 3 mandatory vitals (Energy, Hunger & Bathroom) and 3 optional vitals. Non Vital fulfilling objects mostly required a certain level of vitals to be fulfilled in order to use. Vitals reset to 0 at 6am unless the last Vital fulfilled was energy.

SATISFACTION

A world with nothing but survival isn’t a little bland at best so your character wants to do satisfying activities and the more satisfied you are the more perks you unlock. Satisfaction goes up as a result of object card actions and automatically decrements by one each turn; it does NOT reset at night. At the higher levels you can gain vitals, life tokens and other perks.

SKILLS / JOBS

The prototype image above shows the Cooking skill in its early form. And next to it the Mining Job. Long story short you level up skills and occupations with Life Tokens. Each has 3 levels Bronze, Silver and Gold plus a base action.

Example: Mining by default gives 5 resource tokens as a result. If you level up however you gain the corresponding perk in addition each time you use that card. Mining on each level just gives you MORE resource tokens (the in game generic currency).

The same applies to skills which become more and more useful at the higher levels.

The current skills include:

-Cooking
-D.I.Y
-Cleaning

LIFE TOKENS

Life tokens are gained via a variety of actions, through skills and the higher levels of satisfaction. The tokens are used as a kind of progression currency and have no set use. Current implementations include leveling up skills and occupations etc. Future features will also utilise the tokens to give you sandbox gameplay.

OBJECTS

Last but not least we come to Objects. At the start of the game you are given a set number of resource tokens to spend on a little house and a few basics. Objects are pretty versatile and may have one or more action ‘Orbs’ which dictate effect such as increasing vitals, using skills, gaining life tokens etc. The Orb feature is used extensively to dictate gameplay and is incredibly versatile allowing for many combinations and of course entirely new orbs etc

FIMO CLAY MARKERS

All of the above doesn’t just work with cards and will be complimented with a variety of fimo clay markers (yet to be designed) which will be used to show progress and track various features of the game.

CONCLUSION

So there you have it, finally since starting to design the game concept back in March 2017 I’m very close to having a simple working prototype which is exciting! I will of course play test extensively myself and with friends but let me know what you think / further ideas! Going forward once I have the basic game finished I am intending to expand it adding features like weather, NPC’s and deeper skills.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
Re: [WIP] Evergreen Valley (Inspired by The Sims) UPDATED JULY 12th
WEEKEND UPDATE 15.07.18

Decided to take a small break from gameplay design and focus on creating prototype cards. Originally I planned to use only black and white for the prototype but it doesn’t really capture the spirit of the game to do that so instead I’m just designing a basic set of cards for essential gameplay to test with.

The image below is the progress so far top-bottom left-right showcasing the evolution of design. The bottom three most closely resemble the style I plan on using going forward!

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Nyt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tipping
msg tools
Re: [WIP] Evergreen Valley - A sandbox simulation card game! UPDATED 19th July
HOME CARD UPDATE!

Good evening all!

Another snapshot update today with the focus on home cards.

THE CURRENT SET

QUICK GAME SET UP DEMO

The images above showcase the 6 new basic home cards. The cards are not the most interesting options at the moment as the goal was to provide basic gameplay before adding exciting additions. Two primary weeks not seen here but related are as follows:

+Action based turns.
+Home cards can level up instead of using separate skill cards.

In the first demo play testing I found that it was too easy allowing unlimited use of certain card attributes so instead you are now limited to one action per turn and one use cards. Gameplay is more interesting and directed as a result and you are encouraged to use a variety of household options to progress.

Also discovered was that skill cards (Cooking seen above) are not a valuable addition and can be streamlined and made more complex by being added to the home cards themselves. For example you will be able to level up cooking, the toolbox and cleaning area to provide various benefits rather than having separate skill cards carrying out those roles!

More soon,

Regards,

Nyt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.