United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to pick up a new abstract game. I like the idea of one that has some 3D element but am open to others. I'm considering Tak and Santorini or even the old Torres. Your favorite newer abstracts? Why?

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a 3D element, SEVEN and Pent-Up are my current favorites. I also like Zaic a lot. And Shibumi is great with many different games using the same equipment (stacking balls on a 4x4 base).

I give some more info and reasons why I like them in this geeklist: Nestorgames explored by russ.

I've also played Tak (only a few times) and enjoyed it. I've not yet tried Santorini, alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Ng
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to this hobby, but I recently bought YINSH (from GIPF series which got reprinted in 2016) and has fallen in love with it. I haven't tried the others in the series but I heard that most of them are good, like DVONN and TZAAR.

I've also bought Santorini. It's a quick game even playing best of three. It's an interesting game but I love the simplicity and elegance of YINSH more.

I have no idea on (abstract) games with 3D elements so I can't help with that.

russ wrote:
I give some more info and reasons why I like them in this geeklist: Nestorgames explored by russ.

I have no idea there's a geeklist for Nestorgames which I'm thinking of getting some. Thanks Russ!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While somewhat themey, and not terribly new, both Taluva and Medina are great and had re-releases within the past year or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have Hive, get that first. Consider Kamisado also. I wasn't wowed by Taluva.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of 3D, Carnac is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Baum
msg tools
My favorite game along these lines is Medina. Another great game is Entrapment, though it doesn't have the same 3D dimension to it. Torres is outstanding as well, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Ng
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da baum wrote:
Torres is outstanding as well, by the way.

And a good thing about Torres is that you can use it to play Santorini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torres, Santorini, Rumis (Blokus 3D)and Carnac are all good suggestions.

However, I think you should try the old and forgotten Pueblo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
3D Abstract Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Tak, Santorini and Torres - all great games! However, my favorite among those are Santorini.

Torres feels to me more like a thinky eurogame while Tak and Santorini have more of a Chess feel to their gameplay.

While I like Tak, which feels old despite being new (the classic feel is a plus in my book), I like Santorini even more.

I know some potential players have a hard time ignoring the theme (Chibi Greek gods) of the new commercial edition. However, I do not mind the theme and it pulls in new payers that usually find abstract games too dry. Thus, Santorini has all the benefits of a solid abstract combinational strategy game (great gameplay with simple rules) and appeals to a broader base of payers. I.e. it is easy to get to the table. Also, I really dig the god powers which allow for interesting asymmetric play and great variability from game to game despite the same overall feel.

Anyhow, it is easy to proxy both Tak and Santorini using parts from other games. Thus, before buying any of these you could download the rules and try them out.

Axiom mentioned above is also great, and Super Quintillions are fun to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Emergo will serve you a lifetime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieter Stein
Germany
Freising
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
So, stacking counts as 3D: Mixtour
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deep Fish
msg tools
For 3D as said Taluva: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24508/taluva

It looks really nice.

For a chess-variant: Onitama https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160477/onitama

For a mix of abstract + imperfect information: Element https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/216403/element

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alek Erickson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GIPF series at the moment (particularly DVONN, GIPF, ZERTZ, and TZAAR)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.