Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Carrington
United States
APO
ARMED FORCES AMERICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got some tax money so I am buying a new game.

Imperial Settlers and Above and Below both really appeal to me but they seem really similar.

If you had to choose one which would it be? And why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never had the notion that they are similar. Imperial Settlers is confrontational and Above and Below is mellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are not similar.

In Imperial Settlers you build up an economic engine and loot and destroy your opponents cards.

In Above and Below you build up an economic engine and go exploring in mini adventures.

Despite having economic engines, they both have very different feels. Imperial Settlers is aggressive and competitive; Above and Below is mellow and sweet. Given your current game ratings I would recommend Above and Below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, don't let the cute artwork fool you. Imperial Settlers can be played without confrontation but loses something imo if you don't, and then doesn't have the story making of Above and Below as something of a substitute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both and found them both to be pretty horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and prefer Imperial Settlers, it's more of a game and AAB feels a bit too swingy (encounter wise).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AaB is more a storytelling game and Imperial Settlers is an empire builder. Very different games in feel and play.

I have both and enjoy both, but yeah there are not similar at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Ludlam
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and prefer Above and Below, find it more fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarring wrote:

Imperial Settlers and Above and Below both really appeal to me but they seem really similar.

What is this tax money that you got? Oh, you mean you overpaid your taxes for the year, so had to get a refund?

sorry, had to be that guy...

As for your question - Above and Below, easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not comparable at all, really. It comes down to who you are (or aren't) playing with. A&B is best with 3-4 people looking for a relaxing, enjoyable game, whereas IS plays equally well at 1-4 players and is more cutthroat. IS also has solo play, a feature sorely lacking in all Red Raven Games.

Both games are in my Top 20 and I recommend getting them both if possible, but use your game group (or lack thereof) makeup to decide if not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not similar at all.

My preference is Imperial Settlers, but yours may be different depending on what kind of game you prefer. Watch some reviews, it'll help you narrow things down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
jcarring wrote:

I don't own nor have I played imperial settlers, but IMO Near and Far takes everything Above and Below did and actually makes it good. I found Above and Below to really be lacking in every way. Near and Far, which I played at PAXX, really really improved on it. If you do decide A&B looks better, I'd just wait a month and pick up N&F instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.