United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey ya'll!
So I've had this game for a few months and I've played it two-player so far (also solitaire and two-player solitaire) but every time I'm up against other players I get beat. Granted, this happens with lots of games so maybe I just suck
So are there any strategies and tips ya'll can share with me to get better at the game? So far I have lots of the gameplay basics down (if not all of them) but if there's any advanced strategies I may be missing let me know.
Thanks gamers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for combos and ways to get coins to buy extra actions is about all I can suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of asking for others to share the knowlodge they've already earned, try playing and then critique your own play. Part of the fun of gaming (and life) is learning and achieving not vicariously but by experiencing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

YMMV, but my creamed my husband in our first game by approaching it like a set collection game while he maximized 'chaining' actions. 2nd game was much more balanced when he varied his play more and he management to beat me by 2 points but possibly because I was getting bad draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krsnaji wrote:
Instead of asking for others to share the knowlodge they've already earned, try playing and then critique your own play. Part of the fun of gaming (and life) is learning and achieving not vicariously but by experiencing.

I generally agree that this is the best way to approach gaming. OTOH, there are certainly lots of people who scour the Web for strategy tips. I don't imagine the gentleman's wife is one of them, but I have to admit there are times when after several plays, I still don't **get** a game, and I'm appreciative of those who don't mind sharing their perspective on the game. I don't see how sharing expertise is a bad thing, generally. Perhaps it might be preferable if it was done in a private message?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave van Zundert
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't really share a strategy because every game is different because of the randomniss of the cards (this is also why we keep comming back to this game). The thing I try to do is make the best of every 'dice' I play. If there isn't a way to build or buy a structure I get workers or silver so in the next round I can do more. Also waiting to sell goods till you got a bunch (after building a couple of shipyards) can get your score up. And try going for extra victory points as much as possible.

Been playing against my wife and I have to say she is better in this game then me and wins 2 out of 3 times. So far so I still have to figure out the best way to beat here. She allways buys cards that would be good for me just to stop me scorring big. I think I have to do that more, but I am to focused on my own 'land', so I need to improve on my own game to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.