Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Who am I sir? A Utah man am I!
badge
I carve cool pumpkins
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing a few times, we have some questions about the Charm card:

1) When you use it to lure 2 crew members, do you still get to use the +2 charisma in your lure, or is it an either/or? Initially, we allowed both, but it felt over-powered, so we later changed it to either/or.

2a) Does the captain's innate charisma apply to both lured rats? (We decided that it does.)

2b) Does a card that gives you, say, +1 charisma apply to both rats, or only to one. (We decided it only applies to one.)

2c) Can a card that gives, say, +3 charisma be split between both rats, or do they each need a separate card? (We decided that it can be split.)

I think that the charisma thing could have been greatly simplified, since all captains have the same charisma, you can remove them from the equation, and just say that you have to exceed the CM's loyalty to lure them (or increase all their loyalty by 1, so you don't have the odd-looking negative loyalty, and say you just have to meet it).

Perhaps the planned expansion will have captains with different charisma (perhaps trading against strength?), but I think that could still be handled more easily in some other manner (give the captain a charisma of + or -1? That's a bit un-thematic, but simpler). Likewise, strength could be removed from the captains, and reduce the weight of all pies by 2, but negative strength is even more bizarre...).

I'm hoping to have time to write a review soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bollinger
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Hi Steven,

1)
You get the +2 charisma points AND can lure from two crew members to your crew.

2)
When luring crew members to your crew add up the total amount of charisma points you have to use - including the charm card if you have it. Let's say you have the charm card and a cutlass. You have:

3 charisma points for the captain,
2 for the charm card and
2 for the cutlass for a total of
--
7 charisma points.

You could used these 7 points to lure 2 different crew members to your crew or to lure 1 crew member with a higher loyalty. The captains charisma is only added once to the total of all the charisma points used to lure crew members.

Using the above example of 7 points you could lure 1 crew member with a loyalty of (-1) using 3 of the charisma points and 1 crew member with a loyalty of (0) using the remaining 4 points.

3)
Currently all the stats on the captains are the same. In a future expansions they will not be.

(-1) Loyalty was used to quickly identify crew members that could be lured to your crew without needing additional charisma cards.

The gaol was to get the basic mechanics down in the base game. Then, over time, start to add additional cards with a bit more complexity of use. (Such as a duel use card where you have to pick how you want to use it - one way or the other but not both). Expansion #1 will have cards like this.

Thank you for your input. I value this.

-Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven P
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Who am I sir? A Utah man am I!
badge
I carve cool pumpkins
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarifications -- looks like I've been playing it wrong, but I'll add an insert to my rulebook to remind me of how it's supposed to be done. Rule (2) below (and future captains with different charisma) also explain why the added charisma on Treasure is so high, as you otherwise would never need so much!

NOTE: In your example (2), I think you meant, with 7 points, "lure 1 crew member of a loyalty of (-1) using 3 of the charisma points and 1 crew member with a loyalty of (0) using the remaining 4 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bollinger
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Wow Steven, you're good! Thanks for correcting my corrections. I made the change to the previous post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.