BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Looking for a skype replacement : need advice ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all ! Well, I know it's not the best forum to ask this since it's not exactly boardgaming (I'm not even sure I'm in the correct sub-forum to ask my question), but I really don't know where to ask this... so, here's the situation.
My girlfriend was using a lot skype for roleplaying with her best friend... But since some days, Skype seems to not work anymore for both of them (on windows), so it seems it's time to move to a new software after all this time. Unfortunately, they're having a very hard time finding something to replace it. And I don't know a lot concerning this kind of softwares despite researches we made, so I thought some of you may be could help us (Obi-Wan Kenobi was busy )

What they need is :
- an instant messaging software (for text)
- which records discussions for at least 1 month
- Which permits to save the discussion as text (if possible which permits to export them)
- which permits to edit at least the last message to correct typos
- which isn't too "heavy" (old pc)
- which isn't too "modern/big-buttons/ugly-modern-interface-which-loose-so-much-space"
- which is free (& which is safe to use )
- not in web browser (skype website for exemple...)
- if possible, which doesn't do auto-formatting ( = when *this* becomes automatically this).

They tried Discord : despite auto-formatting, could be very nice, unfortunately, they haven't found the way to export their sessions in text (you have to scroll through the whole discussion with endless scrolling and... it's really too much painful, they've long sessions). If someone knows how to save the text, tell us, it would be perfect.
They tried Pidgin : could be the perfect solution, but... you cannot edit you last message (which is an issue unfortunately :/).

Sorry for this long message and list ! (thanks for reading it)
If someone could help, that would be marvelous, and we would be really grateful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It looks like this discord bot can save logs for you: https://mee6.xyz/

Might be worth looking into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
.....new game group? Locals perhaps?

Well, it's a special/personnal mix of "roleplaying-writing a big story" between them two, not "usual" roleplaying And they live very far from each over (and it's the occasion too for them to talk since they're best friends )

thermogimp wrote:
It looks like this discord bot can save logs for you: https://mee6.xyz/

Might be worth looking into.

Oooooh. Yes, that looks really interesting, we'll take a closer look ! Do you know if it's safe ?

Thanks for helping by the way !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
narff wrote:

Oooooh. Yes, that looks really interesting, we'll take a closer look ! Do you know if it's safe ?

I don't know. I've never used it and it seems like it's not very widely used but I haven't seen anyone claiming that it's unsafe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mb
thermogimp wrote:
narff wrote:

I don't know. I've never used it and it seems like it's not very widely used but I haven't seen anyone claiming that it's unsafe.

Okay, thanks, we'll definitely have a look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are using Zoom at work, and so far it has been pretty impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mb
nycavri wrote:
We are using Zoom at work, and so far it has been pretty impressive.

I've never heard about it, bu we'll look at it, thanks !

galad2003 wrote:
A lot of people at my last job used hipchat but history retention you might have to pay for. But the full version is free to try for 30 days.

Well, we'll take a look, but we're looking for something free. But thanks for the suggestion !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble with Instant Messaging software is it can leech your immortal soul if you don't get the settings just right. And that's my job!

DIBS!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.