Subject: New information about Gloomhaven and Founders of Gloomhaven! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got an email from Cephalofair Games!

Hello again, Stephen!

I know I just messaged you last week, but there's been a significant change of plans that I felt you should know about.

You see, as I explained in my previous letter, I was planning on running a massive Kickstarter that would combine the funding of the Gloomhaven reprint and the new printing of Founders of Gloomhaven. There was significant pressure mounting over the last week to get more of the art and graphic design and prototyping done for Founders of Gloomhaven, and it began to dawn on me that we just weren't going to get everything done in the amount of time I planned.

I found myself having to make a choice between delaying the joint Kickstarter until Founders was more ready to be released, or splitting the two projects up into separate campaigns. Because it is so important to get the reprint of Gloomhaven started as quickly as possible and get it into the hands of everyone who wants it, I have decided avoid delaying that process by splitting the projects.

We will be moving forward with a focused Gloomhaven reprint campaign and delaying the Founders campaign until at least May.

This may sound like bad news to you, but worry not, because there is plenty of good news as well! Because we are now solely focusing on the Gloomhaven reprinting, I've decided to work out a way to offer rule book/scenario book upgrade packs for those with the first printing who want the latest rules and scenario changes. I haven't nailed down pricing for this yet, but it will probably be something in the $10-15 range.

But that's not all! Because we are no longer waiting on stuff for Founders of Gloomhaven, I think we can actually launch the project ahead of schedule (which will also help with getting it out sooner in the end). The new (tentative) plan is to launch a week early, on March 30. This is a little iffy, since Josh, the graphic designer, is currently on vacation until next week, and then I'm going on vacation for a few days soon after he gets back, but I think we can make it work.

I will admit, though, that the main thing hanging me up about splitting the projects was the fact that I didn't know what to do about "stretch goals" for a Gloomhaven reprint. The game is complete. It is everything I want it to be, and I have no intention of adding anything else to the already massive box (other than those sweet HP/EXP dials). Gloomhaven (and Cephalofair Games in general) is all about breaking the mold, though, and so I decided to do something different. I decided we didn't need stretch goals.

It sounds a little crazy, I know, but hear me out. The main purpose of stretch goals is to keep people engaged in the campaign, and have them coming back day after day, excited about all the cool new stuff they're getting for their pledge. If keeping people excited and engaged in the campaign is the end goal, though, there are certainly other ways to accomplish that, so I've decided to create a real-time community-driven mini-campaign during the Kickstarter. That's a lot of hyphenated words, so let me break it down for you:

1. Day 1 of the campaign I will post a PDF of a single scenario that anyone can open and play, either using their own Gloomhaven box, or through a dedicated Tabletop Simulator if you are one of the many people who don't have a copy yet.

2. This scenario will contain plenty of interesting story text, and at the end, it will present a choice on what to do next. Players will then go to Board Game Geek and vote in an official poll on where they want the story to go.

3. The next day, I will create and post a new scenario (in the form of a PDF and a new Steam Workshop file for TTS) based on what the community voted for.

4. This will continue every day for the entire length of the four-week campaign. 28 new scenarios that will actually evolve in real-time based on the community's votes.

At this point, I have no content created for it. It will all be generated the day of to make it purely community-driven. Right now I have an idea for the first scenario and the choices that will be presented, but after that, the community will be at the wheel.

I don't know about you, but I am incredibly excited to see how this turns out. I can't promise you all 28 scenarios will be great, but I will tell you I full intend to embrace the chaotic, seat-of-your-pants nature of this experiment and do plenty of crazy stuff with it. What exactly that will be? Well, we will find out together.

So, anyway, that's the new plan. I thought you should know. I hope you are as excited about it as I am, and I will see you March 28!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Sweet, bunch of scenarios!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the "stretchgoal campaign", I would hope it's targeted towards solo playing with 1 hero. Starting from level zero and learn the game and get a nice adventure experience. It will take a year before I manage to get Gloomhaven campaign played with a group so a separate solo campaign would be excellent. On the other hand, I wouldn't like to spoil much of the locked content.

Also with the campaign, there could be options to get the "stretchgoal campaign" in printed form plus the one Isaac wrote earlier and posted on BGG (that's going to get to BGG Store at some point from where I was planning to purchase it then).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I'm so happy about all of this! It makes such perfect sense. The reprint happens sooner, early adopters get an option for an upgrade at minimal cost, and instead of unnecessary crap added on, we get a bunch of new scenarios from the designer. Win, win, win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Isaac,

You crazy.

Seek help immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one Isaac , what a cool idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cool! I wonder if these are done in campaign mode or casual mode?

Also, since I will be playing in the evenings and am on the west coast, how will I even get my votes in on time?

Very curious about both answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac, if it is possible, maybe backers can buy a printed version of the 17 solo scenarios you have released and also the new 28 new scenarios released on KS? I know that I can print it but getting them from you give the scenarios additional emotional value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is excellent news. I much prefer 2 separate KS campaigns. And being able to get the updated components is the best way to make sure those of use who backed the 1st KS don't feel left out.

A couple of questions/suggestions

1) In addition to being able to obtain a replacement rulebook and scenario book, I hope that cards with errata are included (I think there are only a couple)

2) The stands for the standees really should be replaced with better ones. The current ones are meant for thin cards, not thick cardboard. I personally have cracked two of them and have seen posts that others have as well. I have replaced them with these of different colors (grey-normal, yellow-elite, blue-heroes and red-bosses) and they work much, much better:
https://www.spielematerial.de/en/standfuesse-variabel-farbig...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
aflorin wrote:
This is excellent news. I much prefer 2 separate KS campaigns. And being able to get the updated components is the best way to make sure those of use who backed the 1st KS don't feel left out.

1) In addition to being able to obtain a replacement rulebook and scenario book, I hope that cards with errata are included (I think there are only a couple)

2) The stands for the standees really should be replaced with better ones. The current ones are meant for thin cards, not thick cardboard. I personally have cracked two of them and have seen posts that others have as well. I have replaced them with these of different colors (grey-normal, yellow-elite, blue-heroes and red-bosses) and they work much, much better:

I also use these, they are great.

I don't know the logistics of including errata'd cards, but it might not be feasible/cost effective. I'm more than happy if it's just the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:

Ooooooh they have red and green... that would be a cool alternative for elite and normal baddies...
What color are the hero standee bases normally?? I got the minis version so I will definitely be picking up a set of them (love the art), so figure I might as well grab a bunch of stands to match... (and I assume they are the same thickness as the monsters...?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike hancoski
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm doesn't kick starter require a new project?

I could swear something prevented you from doing a kick starter for just a reprint. (maybe buried in the TOS or something)

But I could be wrong I guess, if I am this is great news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magictom1 wrote:
aflorin wrote:

Ooooooh they have red and green... that would be a cool alternative for elite and normal baddies...
What color are the hero standee bases normally?? I got the minis version so I will definitely be picking up a set of them (love the art), so figure I might as well grab a bunch of stands to match... (and I assume they are the same thickness as the monsters...?)

The game comes with clear ones for the heroes (5), yellow for the elites (8) and white for the normals (16)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, Isaac, WTF. And I mean that in a totally good way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, the wife`s already thinking practically - "we`re gonna need to sort out a meal-plan". It`s going to be crazy playing a game each night for 28 days straight. I hope there's a commemorative T Shirt

She also wonders if it's going to be best to create new characters just for this campaign. I think most likely .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think my wife will be happy that this is going to be occurring in the last month of her pregnancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I just got this email as well!

2 (well 3)things I really hope this includes (listen up Isaac):

1. This $10-$15 scenario/rulebook update package needs to include
A. the dials!
B. Any corrected cards that were previously misprinted (errors, typos, etc).

2. I hope a physical copy of the 28 day Scenario "SG" setup comes with pledges (including the above mentioned $10-15 upgrade pack)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac S.B.
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Exciting!

I will use this event to learn the game through TTS. Good thing I'll have 10 days off work in the middle of the KS to catch up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Kelly
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Is this the real life?
badge
Is it just fantasy?
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:

A. the dials!

2. I hope a physical copy of the 28 day Scenario "SG" setup comes with pledges (including the above mentioned $10-15 upgrade pack)!

Echoing this sentiment. XP dials and corrected rulebook (and cards) in a package deal please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
A new scenario every day?!?!

This is crazy and I fear that I already feel left out only thinking about what a (for me impossible) time consuming amount of dedication this would require...especially when I am not really that far into the real campaign, yet...I think I will pass up on this madness and will probably just read through the scenario descriptions to take away the story itself. Looking forward to doing that, but it will be really interesting to see how many people actually have the time to participate in this.

With or without this, I have no doubt that the campaign will be a major success!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Dear Isaac,

You crazy.

Seek help immediately.

I agree!

I'm a therapist, I'll fix you up for a couple Gloomhaven reprint freebies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foxtale wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:

A. the dials!

Echoing this sentiment. XP dials and corrected rulebook (and cards) in a package deal please!

And a pack of hero standees please! Which I would assume come hidden in tuckboxes/envelopes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shbenton wrote:
I've decided to work out a way to offer rule book/scenario book upgrade packs for those with the first printing who want the latest rules and scenario changes. I haven't nailed down pricing for this yet, but it will probably be something in the $10-15 range.

Excited to hear this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe a premium upgrade pack for additional components like a hardbound rulebook?

The way Poots did with kingdom death?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mikehancoski wrote:
Ummm doesn't kick starter require a new project?

I could swear something prevented you from doing a kick starter for just a reprint. (maybe buried in the TOS or something)

But I could be wrong I guess, if I am this is great news.

Technically yes. But practically I don't see Kickstarter saying "Sorry Isaac, we don't want your $200,000 in fees because we're not entirely sure this counts as an iteration".

Frankly the new dials, updated rulebook and scenario book are sufficient that it meets the rules from a technical perspective anyway.

That said, it might be fun to see some non-boxed stretch goals like:

1)Game soundtrack
2)Narration for the scenario book
3)An app!
4)Downloadable mini-campaign

Basically stuff that doesn't need to packaged with Gloomhaven and doesn't need to be ready when the games go out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.