Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Some more screen captures for the CMON presentation taken from the youtube vid recorded by Watched It Played:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Girard
United States
Morrisonville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy awesome sauce!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
ok so CMON started their own battlelore with blackjack and Eric Lang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge thank you for posting. This is so hot it could melt the wall...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
battlepuppy wrote:

Aside from the fact its George R.R Martin based game where do you see hotness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
battlepuppy wrote:

Aside from the fact its George R.R Martin based game where do you see hotness?

For me personally, not only does it have a GoT theme but if what they claim of it being super accessible is true, that's a HUGE plus for me. I mainly play with my wife and this is perfect for her and thus for me! Not to mention they will support organized play which is a bonus. Another bonus, now that Eric Lang is leading CMON dev, there's a good chance that this will be super polished and solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
king seamus
msg tools
mb
Thanks for posting ! Now to try and contain my excitement.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Soo..."Warhammer Light"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
Lowden025 wrote:
Soo..."Warhammer Light"?

considering that CMON other Warhammer guys with Eric pretty much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom S
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Soo..."Warhammer Light"?

I hope so! My wife and I do not like warhammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Baramon wrote:
Lowden025 wrote:
Soo..."Warhammer Light"?

Really wouldn't say that. While I absolutely respect Warhammer Fantasy as a system (I have had many armies over the years) this is something unique, with elements you've seen before in Rank n' File Games and new ones meshed into (at least in my opinion) a modern evolution of the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Shinall wrote:
Baramon wrote:
Lowden025 wrote:
Soo..."Warhammer Light"?

Really wouldn't say that. While I absolutely respect Warhammer Fantasy as a system (I have had many armies over the years) this is something unique, with elements you've seen before in Rank n' File Games and new ones meshed into (at least in my opinion) a modern evolution of the system.

As in Rank n' File Rules from Crusader Publishing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, as in rank and file wargames... most any historical, warhammer fantasy, kings of war, etc etc etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Advanced Squad Leader, The Great Battles of Alexander & 40k are
all the same ol' wargame ?

Lumping all the varied types,categories,periods & genres together is...
WoW

Never mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kskato wrote:
So Advanced Squad Leader, The Great Battles of Alexander & 40k are all the same ol' wargame ?

This is BGG we're talking about.

Oh, and you forgot RISK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
kskato wrote:
So Advanced Squad Leader, The Great Battles of Alexander & 40k are all the same ol' wargame ?

This is BGG we're talking about.

Oh, and you forgot RISK.

But from the designer ??

'The Lannister send their regards'... to any interest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. I am sorry if you are interpreting me saying "this is a rank and file wargame" and citing some examples as me saying "every wargame is the same"- obviously that is not the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deserteagle2525 wrote:
Lowden025 wrote:
Soo..."Warhammer Light"?

I hope so! My wife and I do not like warhammer.

Age of Sigmar is probably the most accessible war game ever created. All the rules - 4 pages, available for free.

Incredible game. So much fun, especially on a smaller skirmish level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
kskato wrote:
So Advanced Squad Leader, The Great Battles of Alexander & 40k are
all the same ol' wargame ?

Lumping all the varied types,categories,periods & genres together is...
WoW

Never mind

Were some posts deleted from this thread or did you make a truly bizarre leap of logic here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Roma
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if this wargame is the same as warhammer40K, can i field Tyranids vs Stark?
wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Roma
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really?.... WoW ...
Never mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Shinall wrote:
Right. I am sorry if you are interpreting me saying "this is a rank and file wargame" and citing some examples as me saying "every wargame is the same"- obviously that is not the case.

You're not sorry, but thank you for not stepping on the eggshells BGG leaves all over the place. laugh

Anyway, from the G&S article, here's more info about the mechanics of the game:

Quote:
CMON has confirmed alternating activations (my personal favourite style of turn sequence), and the use of movement trays to help organize units. Instead of having to manage each individual model, each player will activate a single unit/tray. Battlefield heroes like Robb Stark or Ser Jamie Lannister can be added to units by replacing one of the models from the tray. Each hero will confer special abilities to the unit they are a part of, as well as to your army as a whole.

In addition to these familiar elements, A Song of Ice & Fire is also bringing in some really unique aspects of the universe. Some well known characters, such as Cersei Lannister, are not active on the battlefield but can be added to the sidelines of your army. These characters interact with what is called “The Intrigue System” and will provide abilities that represent the machinations and political intrigue that makes up so much of Westeros.

There will be thematic, open and generated scenarios, giving you the freedom to recreate a battle from the books, generate your own in what CMON is calling a “fan-fic generator” or simply throw your models onto the table and play.

The game will initially release with the starter boxes for both the Lannister and Stark armies for those who do not wish to purchase the two-player starter box.

Now, while the product is boardgamer-friendly in that you don't have to assemble and paint miniatures, I'm not sure if it's wallet-friendly. It looks like CMON's using the miniature wargaming model of releasing multiple boxes for each faction. So, if you're playing a single faction for OP, you're buying multiple products so you can get the heroes and units you want. Alternately, if you're an alpha player who brings the game to the table, you're still buying stuff for your gaming group. The base set and KS might be a good value, but, unlike most CMON KS, I think they're using KS to launch a product line, not a "fire and forget" boardgame. Like many miniature wargames, this will be a "lifestyle" game of playing and purchasing. If you want something cheaper, look at Frostgrave, Songs of Blade and Heroes, and other skirmish wargames (only a few models on each side) that allow you to use your own miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurn
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Very intrigued by the “The Intrigue System”, sounds unlike anything I've seen before in this kind of game.

Though I'm a bit worried this is going to be TOO simple and easy to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shinall
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Michael Shinall wrote:

You're not sorry, but thank you for not stepping on the eggshells BGG leaves all over the place. laugh

Anyway, from the G&S article, here's more info about the mechanics of the game:

Quote:
CMON has confirmed alternating activations (my personal favourite style of turn sequence), and the use of movement trays to help organize units. Instead of having to manage each individual model, each player will activate a single unit/tray. Battlefield heroes like Robb Stark or Ser Jamie Lannister can be added to units by replacing one of the models from the tray. Each hero will confer special abilities to the unit they are a part of, as well as to your army as a whole.

In addition to these familiar elements, A Song of Ice & Fire is also bringing in some really unique aspects of the universe. Some well known characters, such as Cersei Lannister, are not active on the battlefield but can be added to the sidelines of your army. These characters interact with what is called “The Intrigue System” and will provide abilities that represent the machinations and political intrigue that makes up so much of Westeros.

There will be thematic, open and generated scenarios, giving you the freedom to recreate a battle from the books, generate your own in what CMON is calling a “fan-fic generator” or simply throw your models onto the table and play.

The game will initially release with the starter boxes for both the Lannister and Stark armies for those who do not wish to purchase the two-player starter box.

Now, while the product is boardgamer-friendly in that you don't have to assemble and paint miniatures, I'm not sure if it's wallet-friendly. It looks like CMON's using the miniature wargaming model of releasing multiple boxes for each faction. So, if you're playing a single faction for OP, you're buying multiple products so you can get the heroes and units you want. Alternately, if you're an alpha player who brings the game to the table, you're still buying stuff for your gaming group. The base set and KS might be a good value, but, unlike most CMON KS, I think they're using KS to launch a product line, not a "fire and forget" boardgame. Like many miniature wargames, this will be a "lifestyle" game of playing and purchasing. If you want something cheaper, look at Frostgrave, Songs of Blade and Heroes, and other skirmish wargames (only a few models on each side) that allow you to use your own miniatures.

Let's not get anything wrong here- this is a full wargame

While we are making it accessible for people, with the models being pre-assembled and playable right out of the box, this is still a full wargame- unit boxes and all that. Now, when we say "new releases each month" don't think that means you're going to have 100+ different Stark units.

Faction Bloat in wargames is a very real thing, and something that I have adamantly strived to avoid here. Each unit in each faction has a unique purpose and role to fill- while the factions each do have a unique theme about them, which carries over to their units, Unit A should be different from Unit B and eventually when Unit Q comes out, it shouldn't just be a better/worse version of A.

In regards to the "lifestyle" comment- yes, this is more akin to the crowd who wants to build forces, try different strategies and whatnot- BUT, and this is key, even if your a casual, we want you to get a huge amount of fun and playtime out of this. So if you just, for example, want to pick up the Starter Box and never buy anything again (for...some reason...?) then you'll get your value out of it.

The Starter alone contains enough variety to play with various strategies, army compositions (while you have the same 4 units on each side, the various Attachments and Heroes you take will drastically change your tactics and play-style), and a full gambit of scenarios- so not every game is just "I'm going to kill all your guys before you kill mine". You'll have a good bit of variety in just that one package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.