Istanbul» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on the Fountain, Action Choice, and Smuggler/Governor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Brewster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, this is my first question on BGG, though I've lurked here for years! I've searched and searched for the answer to this extreme corner case, so I thought I'd finally just ask it here.

I have a question about the Fountain. Imagine this scenario: my merchant, with no assistants, lands on the Fountain, which has all four other player's merchants, the smuggler, and the governor on it. If I choose NOT to take the Fountain's action, can I use the smuggler and/or the governor?

I see that my turn doesn't end as per the rules about the first step of my turn, since the Fountain is the sole exception to landing on a space with no assistants.

For step 2, I see that I don't have to pay any of the other merchants, since this is one of the powers of the Fountain.

For step 3, here I choose to NOT take the action of the Fountain. Normally, you would, and this is how you would gain your assistants back, but let's pretend I have exactly the right setup of assistants, and don't want to mess them up.

For step 4, do I get to use the smugglers and/or governor? On any other space, the answer would be no, because my turn would have ended way back in step 1, as I didn't either drop off an assistant or pick one up at the fountain.

So what's the right call? Can I use merchant and/or governor on the Fountain if I make it to step 4 on the Fountain without any assistants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonesand wrote:
Hi all, this is my first question on BGG, though I've lurked here for years! I've searched and searched for the answer to this extreme corner case, so I thought I'd finally just ask it here.

I have a question about the Fountain. Imagine this scenario: my merchant, with no assistants, lands on the Fountain, which has all four other player's merchants, the smuggler, and the governor on it. If I choose NOT to take the Fountain's action, can I use the smuggler and/or the governor?

I see that my turn doesn't end as per the rules about the first step of my turn, since the Fountain is the sole exception to landing on a space with no assistants.

For step 2, I see that I don't have to pay any of the other merchants, since this is one of the powers of the Fountain.

For step 3, here I choose to NOT take the action of the Fountain. Normally, you would, and this is how you would gain your assistants back, but let's pretend I have exactly the right setup of assistants, and don't want to mess them up.

For step 4, do I get to use the smugglers and/or governor? On any other space, the answer would be no, because my turn would have ended way back in step 1, as I didn't either drop off an assistant or pick one up at the fountain.

So what's the right call? Can I use merchant and/or governor on the Fountain if I make it to step 4 on the Fountain without any assistants?

Yes you can use them. The rules say that if your turn does not end in steps 1 or 2 then you can go through to step 4. It also says the Fountain is the exception to ending your turn in Step 1 by having no assistants. Then as you point out, Step 2 is not applicable to the Fountain. So since your turn doesn't end you can do Step 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer is, you do take the action. Since you can return any number of your own assistants to your merchant, that number can be zero. So you did the Fountain action, even if it had no effect, and now you can use the Smuggler or Governor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Brewster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for for your hypothetical case law study. I have long considered that "rules lawyers" are not bad folks who are parsing simply to technically win via semantic loop hole, but they are additionally just playing on their own fascination with language and narrow almost symbolic logic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
(Note that rules p4 says you "may" carry out the action the Target Place provides, so you clearly don't have to do the action if you don't want to, anyway.)

inkybloc wrote:
Since you can return any number of your own assistants to your merchant, that number can be zero.

Hmm. While I do like that thinking, I'm tempted then to contemplate returning -100 of my assistants, so that I end up with a hundred anti-assistants stacked at the Fountain and a convenient stash of spare assistants in every other Place. (-8<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.