Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've read the brief description and without going into length, let's just say that I'm very interested!
But what about flavour and general storytelling aspects? Will this game include scenarios, environments, encounters and stuff like that?
Or will it "just" focus on tactics and fighting?
There's nothing wrong with that, I just tend to like some story elements in my games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a "campaign" to speak of as you do consecutive maps and baddies. We're still trying to figure out why you lose all of your stuff from the previous map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:
There is a "campaign" to speak of as you do consecutive maps and baddies. We're still trying to figure out why you lose all of your stuff from the previous map.

PTSD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence VH
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Hell might be considered a timeless place - and as such the next battle which the demons mount to gain the dominion of earth might each time take place in a point earlier in time - the next part of the campaign is a stronger attack, but earlier in time; this would explain why the effect of gained experience and progress of the players in the game would each time be erased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
LawrenceVH wrote:
Hell might be considered a timeless place - and as such the next battle which the demons mount to gain the dominion of earth might each time take place in a point earlier in time - the next part of the campaign is a stronger attack, but earlier in time; this would explain why the effect of gained experience and progress of the players in the game would each time be erased.

Except then wouldn't the heroes have the experience from the later game in the earlier game?

I suspect some hand waving about hell incursions messing with causality and what happens in the hellmouth stays in the hell mouth would cover it, at least enough for boardgaming.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence VH
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
They wouldn't gain any experience because the newer, but earlier battle erases out the timeline in which the first, but later battle takes place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:

Cool!
I assume this means that we can expect "Descent-like" flavour where you get an introduction to each scenario. But no story progression during the scenario?
Hmm, a reason why would you lose everything between the scenarios... That's a tough nut to crack. But I'm sure you'll think of something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:
We're still trying to figure out why you lose all of your stuff from the previous map.

In the battle, the items and heroes became corrupted by the demonic influence, and in order to themselves not become additional gates, they need to go through a kind of cleansing, where their possessions are burned and they're run through a battery of exorcism and psychoanalysis that brings them back to a sense of normalcy?

Something that you could gamify in some manner, e.g. saying they can keep a piece of gear (and the corresponding upgrade), but in doing so the next map starts with an extra Despair die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:
We're still trying to figure out why you lose all of your stuff from the previous map.

Is the stuff supernatural in origin? Or it's abilities are tied to the tile so lose these abilities when moving to the next tile?

Maybe players could keep their items, but they would be reduced in power, perhaps acquiring new abilities on the next map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The "upgrades" are usually personality traits or skills, not weapons or armor. With names like "sword of the spirit", "ckenched jaw", "registered nurse", or "brevet rank" so maybe that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what would you consider "storytelling" games?

I ask because my team often tries to get me to insert more story-like elements into my games, but part of me feels the game should be giving rise to stories, not the other way round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
what would you consider "storytelling" games?

I ask because my team often tries to get me to insert more story-like elements into my games, but part of me feels the game should be giving rise to stories, not the other way round.

I completely get that! I'm not thinking about something like Arkham Horror the card game or mansions of madness which are "true storytelling games".
But I think games like Arkham Horror tell a pretty good story. It gives you story snippets that you basically have to put together yourself to form a coherent narrative. (I hope you know what I mean.)
So, in my opinion random flavour will suffice. That being said, the introductions to the scenarios discussed above definitely scratches my storytelling itch. They do a good job giving a frame to the scenarios in Descent. Even though they feel pretty forced sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
The "upgrades" are usually personality traits or skills, not weapons or armor. With names like "sword of the spirit", "ckenched jaw", "registered nurse", or "brevet rank" so maybe that helps.

Similar to Lawrence, is there any time warp or other messings around? Each scenario is a "bad ending" timeline the players have to destroy. As a result, they know that, once they achieve their objective, the reset button will be hit, and they will have to start all over again with the *next* timeline that they have to clean up.

Jump to the Soviet Union one for sorta what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUks-1cXWCM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Lox
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It would be really great to have some story to go along with the tactics similar to mansions of madness or tales of the Arabian nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign does tell a story. We'll be releasing and explaining it during the course of the kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lo
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trapped in the past, the investigator(s) finds himself/herself/themselves leaping from life to life, putting things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his/her/their next leap will be the leap home. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jloving wrote:
Trapped in the past, the investigator(s) finds himself/herself/themselves leaping from life to life, putting things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his/her/their next leap will be the leap home. laugh

Well, based on the idea that the demon apocalypse is mostly a feature of the great monotheistic religions - Judeo-Christianity and Islam, reincarnation is hardly considered proper doctrine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
jloving wrote:

Well, based on the idea that the demon apocalypse is mostly a feature of the great monotheistic religions - Judeo-Christianity and Islam, reincarnation is hardly considered proper doctrine.

Methinks someone missed a reference...

"Oh boy. I'm a demon hunter."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I know there are demons in literally every religion under the son. But an end-of-world apocalypse is not as universal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lo
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
jloving wrote:

I wasn't referring to reincarnation. Since Lincoln mentioned you guys are trying to explain why the investigators lose all their stuff from a previous map, I made a joke-reference to Quantum Leap.

If you're not familiar with the show, it's about a scientist who invents a time machine that causes him to "leap" through time into the consciousness of other people in the past. The scientist remembers everything when he leaps, but when he assumes the identity of the next person, he has no personal items or any knowledge of where he is or why he is there. So, in effect it's similar to "starting over" on a new PA map.

The quote I made was a slight variation the narrator makes at the beginning of every episode, but I guess the reference was missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jloving wrote:

The quote I made was a slight variation the narrator makes at the beginning of every episode, but I guess the reference was missed.

Well, some of us got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is there just a campaign, or is there also a "free play" mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always just play an individual map, with whatever Lord and heroes you wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
You can always just play an individual map, with whatever Lord and heroes you wish.

Not sure that really answers the question...I mean, that's still picking a scenario to play, correct? There's not just a generic "going to play Planet Apocalypse, pick random stuff to use" or something like that is there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by Scenario, but different maps can have different rules for how exactly they play out, kind of like Zombicide, if that's what you mean. Regardless, the map can totally be picked randomly, as can Heroes/Lord. Legions, 4th Circle Demons, Gear Cards, etc, are also always random from game to game (from my understanding). It's just that players have the option of advancing through a more structured campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.