Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I wanted a little less predictability and tried flipping the Timeline Tile to its alternate side along with revealing a new super project.

We both liked it. Thematically we thought it added to the game, and also there was a little less AP from removing the need to think about using warp tiles in the future or agonizing over taking the 1st player spot due to an upcoming alternate Timeline Tile.

I'm looking for opinions on this choice, as maybe there is a reason why this is bad for game play. A nuance I that I didn't notice.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about this variant. Have not tried it myself, but seems pretty easy to implement with minimal fiddliness.

As you said, it decreases the AP, and increases the randomness (albeit more thematic).

Some people like it face up as another strategic layer, which really is mostly for the 1st and 2nd player placing them. The 3rd and 4th player guessing is really a crap shoot, so this variant will serve to equalize it and bring the blind bidding back mostly for risks for paradoxes, and sort of gambling for extra bonuses or penalties.

This variant will also slightly de-emphasize the first player spot, although out of the all the tiles, only 4 I think have something negative in the first or second spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...

It's the only way we play - we reveal the new timeline tile along with the new superproject at the beginning of each round. Wouldn't want to play it any other way.

We just aren't sure what the future will offer us until we get there! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've actually gone in the other direction, and removed the blind bidding. We go in player order instead, which gives a little benefit to the last players instead. But we haven't played with the alternative timeline tiles yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pigasos15 pigasos15
Greece
Oropos
ΑΤΤΙΚΙ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I get it right. Alternate timeline goes like. We all choose secretly warp tiles. We open them all together. The same as normal timeline. Only thing we put them on following turn order. Yes? Reading manual thought for a moment that first player reveals warp tiles first and second thinks about if he wants to add any himself and so on.this is not right. We all reveal at the same time yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pigasos15 wrote:
So if I get it right. Alternate timeline goes like. We all choose secretly warp tiles. We open them all together. The same as normal timeline. Only thing we put them on following turn order. Yes? Reading manual thought for a moment that first player reveals warp tiles first and second thinks about if he wants to add any himself and so on.this is not right. We all reveal at the same time yes?

Yes. Same as the regular timeline, but after everyone has revealed, the placement is done in turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.