Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Quick question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael gionet
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm looking into getting a pre order either from a seller on bgg or the gamesteward perhaps. My question is would the extra money for ks stretch goals be worth it verses a retail version? Just weighing my options.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth it for? resale? Maybe (probably)
For game content? My experience with Z:BP is that it's enough that you won't feel the need to expand for quite some time compared to a retail purchaser.

TLDR: if you value endless replayability, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael gionet
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
It's not for a resale. Was asking since it's my first investment with CMON. Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like a lot of the KS exclusives that CMON offer, I rarely find them to have many uses. For instance, I have way too many heroes for Arcadia Quest. Great for painting, but I'll never use all of them. With Inferno delivered now, it's even more ridiculous.

I didn't back Blood Rage and I don't have any of the exclusives and I don't feel like I have an incomplete game at all. There is a lot of content in all of their games and enough to keep you going for a while.

If you're a completetionist and/or love to paint the figs, then maybe you'll find the worth in there. I just personally (after a few of their Kickstarters) am not finding a whole lot of gameplay value in the exclusives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin Ecker
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm also trying to decide if I want to pay up in the aftermarket for the lightbringer version.

I missed the Z:BP kickstarter but after buying a few retail expansions (Heros, Wolfzburg, Deadeyes, Aboms) and playing a bunch, I can honestly say that I don't miss any of the kickstarter exclusives for that game. However, I would LOVE the Z:BP crossover cards from the MD kickstarter since they represent the exact Z:BP characters/zombies I own.

To be honest, I am not really sure why I want MD as bad as I do. I don't paint mini's and actually find games with a lot to be annoying once the initial coolness wears off (storage is PITA, setup takes longer, turns take longer to move all the damn enemies). I also think the main combat mechanic will get very tedious once you've got a few leveled characters. I was initially very excited by the separate class sheet system but the class "skills" mostly just boil down to an extra die/sword/shield/hit which isn't as interesting as I'd hoped (really just stat boosts instead of special abilities). Lastly, after Z:BP and seeing their subsequent unofficial errata, I don't have faith in Guillotine Games' ability to put out a well thought-out or balanced set of rules.

I guess the reason I do want it is that I can't seem to find anything else that comes as close to a relatively light dungeon crawl with characters leveling over multiple quests.(campaign mode)

Sorry, I'm getting pretty off topic here so I'll just end my rambling by saying that aside from the ZBP crossover set, the rest of the MD kickstarter exclusives seem to be mostly wandering monsters which will add some variety but probably not enough to keep the game fresh for a significantly longer time since they each just have one special feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Tipp City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Option01 wrote:
I'm also trying to decide if I want to pay up in the aftermarket for the lightbringer version.

I missed the Z:BP kickstarter but after buying a few retail expansions (Heros, Wolfzburg, Deadeyes, Aboms) and playing a bunch, I can honestly say that I don't miss any of the kickstarter exclusives for that game. However, I would LOVE the Z:BP crossover cards from the MD kickstarter since they represent the exact Z:BP characters/zombies I own.

To be honest, I am not really sure why I want MD as bad as I do. I don't paint mini's and actually find games with a lot to be annoying once the initial coolness wears off (storage is PITA, setup takes longer, turns take longer to move all the damn enemies). I also think the main combat mechanic will get very tedious once you've got a few leveled characters. I was initially very excited by the separate class sheet system but the class "skills" mostly just boil down to an extra die/sword/shield/hit which isn't as interesting as I'd hoped (really just stat boosts instead of special abilities). Lastly, after Z:BP and seeing their subsequent unofficial errata, I don't have faith in Guillotine Games' ability to put out a well thought-out or balanced set of rules.

I guess the reason I do want it is that I can't seem to find anything else that comes as close to a relatively light dungeon crawl with characters leveling over multiple quests.(campaign mode)

Sorry, I'm getting pretty off topic here so I'll just end my rambling by saying that aside from the ZBP crossover set, the rest of the MD kickstarter exclusives seem to be mostly wandering monsters which will add some variety but probably not enough to keep the game fresh for a significantly longer time since they each just have one special feature.

You'll have no problem finding a pack of crossover cards for under $20. If that's all you want just wait and buy them separate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Option01 wrote:

Don't forget that the pledge also comes with another enemy, the Troglodytes as well as new tiles and a campaign for said tiles.
It's mostly roamers but let's not forget there's some other significant elements that will expand and extend the game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin Ecker
United States
California
flag msg tools
Good points, I had forgotten about those items and I agree that they should expand the game further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the KS exclusives for Massive Darkness are fairly decent. We get a few extra heroes, an exclusive class, and some unique weapon cards. I think the only place they went over board was the KSE roaming monsters. It seems like retail won't have a ton, whereas people who ordered it through KS are going to have too many.

Personally, I wish they would have given us an exclusive box of mobs and replaced some of the more redundant roamers (Iron Golem/Living Construct, all the different types of ogres...). Getting rid of 5 of the 18 KSE roamers and giving us say a box of drow/dark elf mobs would have been great imo and really balanced everything out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.